• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl players on soccer team leave game after complaint by Muslim coach of boys' team

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now on, if I was an opposing coach, I would put a girl on my team so the Muslim school would forfeit every time.

Yeah it would suck that my team wouldn't get to play, but I would host an intra-squad scrimmage after the Muslim school forfeits so my team could still get some play time

Eventually that Muslim school would either tolerate playing against girls, or they would drop sports altogether. Hopefully the former occurs.

Abounder

Banned
1) they were going to lose either way. Forfeiting in my opinion is more humiliating.
2) They should definitely be banned from the league
3) coach was just doing his job and tried to alleviate the problem in a manner where his morals didnt have to be projected onto others.

1) If they were going to lose either way then why demand for the girls to stop playing at halftime when one of them was a starter? Asking the girl players to leave is far more "humiliating" in my opinion and that's putting it lightly.
2) Agreed unless they turn things around
3) Coach didn't know or intentionally violated the associations rules, they can find another gradeschool soccer coach if he can't play by the rules or act like a sportsman

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This post makes no sense. You're implying they can somehow get banned from the league whilst still finishing this game against their will. What?

Sure, ban them afterwards. But at the moment, what else can you do?

You keep the game going and if the other team wont take the field then whatever. Empty net.

alatif113

1) If they were going to lose either way then why demand for the girls to stop playing at halftime when one of them was a starter? Asking the girl players to leave is far more "humiliating" in my opinion and that's putting it lightly.
2) Agreed unless they turn things around
3) Coach didn't know or intentionally violated the associations rules, they can find another gradeschool soccer coach if he can't play by the rules or act like a sportsman

For 1 and 2: They were willing to forfeit the match. They weren't demanding anything. They gave the other team two options and that team chose the one most beneficial to them. Not following rules (although i don't see how they broke any) gets you banned from the league. I don't know how that affects the coach. He is most likely employed by the school and did what is in the best interest of that school, it's students, and their parents beliefs whether we agree with them or not.

You keep the game going and if the other team wont take the field then whatever. Empty net.

Except being able to forfeit is within the rules?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For 1 and 2: They were willing to forfeit the match. They weren't demanding anything. They gave the other team two options and that team chose the one most beneficial to them. Not following rules gets you banned from the league. I don't know how that affects the coach. He is most likely employed by the school and did what is in the best interest of that school, it's students, and their parents beliefs whether we agree with them or not.

Forfeiting the match because the presence of girl players looked weird--you can't really make a justification for this, really, even if it is "within the rules."

Especially considering that the protest was given only after half-time and in losing position.......

MikeDip

For 1 and 2: They were willing to forfeit the match. They weren't demanding anything. They gave the other team two options and that team chose the one most beneficial to them. Not following rules gets you banned from the league. I don't know how that affects the coach. He is most likely employed by the school and did what is in the best interest of that school, it's students, and their parents beliefs whether we agree with them or not.

I don't care. Their reasons are discriminatory and also hypocritical. I want to know why they played an entire half with girls on the other side before complaining. The entire thing is unfair to the team with the girls on it and it's not their fault they were put into the position to choose from two unfair options.

So it's time for a third option.

alatif113

Forfeiting the match because the presence of girl players looked weird--you can't really make a justification for this, really, even if it is "within the rules."

Especially considering that the protest was given only after half-time and in losing position.......

Sure its weird, but again, what else can they do? This is the best course of action in holding their beliefs (whether we agree with them or not) without imposing them on others is all I'm arguing, and yet we have people calling for the head of the coach.

I don't care. Their reasons are discriminatory and also hypocritical. I want to know why they played an entire half with girls on the other side before complaining. The entire thing is unfair to the team with the girls on it and it's not their fault they were put into the position to choose from two unfair options.

So it's time for a third option.

ok.

Sucks that they (by choice) had to sit it out. But they are champs in my view letting their fellow teammates still play the game anyhow than accepting a forfeit by the opposing team.

MikeDip

Sure its weird, but again, what else can they do? This is the best course of action in holding their beliefs (whether we agree with them or not) without imposing them on others is all I'm arguing, and yet we have people calling for the head of the coach.

ok.

They shouldn't be in that league if they can't play against girls who are allowed in the league.

wtf? How are the two even comparable? They didn't "threaten" anything, but instead gave an option which, according to the article, the second team gladly took. In the end, they would've lost either way.

"it would be a shame if this game ended in forfeit right now and you couldn't work on getting more goals to build an advantage in goal differential..."

it's not just about wins and losses.

Abounder

Banned
For 1 and 2: They were willing to forfeit the match. They weren't demanding anything. They gave the other team two options and that team chose the one most beneficial to them.

The Muslim team saw that their opponents had a girl as a starter. They played until halftime. Why did the Muslim coach make his demand at the half instead of before the game, if it's really about religion? That's about as unsportsmanlike as it gets, to hold the game hostage because of girls!

What it really sounds like is that the Muslim squad was embarrassed to lose to girls and acted like sexist sore losers down 3-1 at the half. The coach should be fired for not following the letter and spirit of the association's rules.

The Muslim team saw that their opponents had a girl as a starter. They played until halftime. Why did the Muslim coach make his demand at the half instead of before the game, if it's really about religion? That's about as unsportsmanlike as it gets, to hold the game hostage because of girls!

What it really sounds like is that the Muslim squad was embarrassed to lose to girls and acted like sexist sore losers down 3-1 at the half. The coach should be fired for not following the letter and spirit of the association's rules.

I think they also saw they were getting their asses kicked which could've hurt their on playoff chances with goal differential being an actual factor and hid behind their religion to try and save their goals against tally while not looking like quitters.

Didn't work and yep look at that they let up another 3 goals.

Instead of cultural norms, what it really sounds like is that the Muslim squad was embarrassed to lose to girls and acted like sexist sore losers down 3-1 at the half. The coach should be fired for not following the letter and spirit of the association's rules.

Or they tried to play despite their beliefs but felt guilty and decided it was better to forfeit? I mean you can make up a few different scenarios if you want. The coaches have a responsibility to the kids, the parents, and their employers. I can understand wanting to balance these responsibilities. In the end the girl made a very mature decision.

RiZ III

The Muslim team should have just resigned the match. Doesn't make sense to kick the girls off the other team due to religious reasons. It's like a Christian team asking the other team to kick off gay players. Makes no sense.

Skeyser

The Muslim team should have just resigned the match. Doesn't make sense to kick the girls off the other team due to religious reasons. It's like a Christian team asking the other team to kick off gay players. Makes no sense.

The girl team needed more goals though, so that would have fucked them over.

alatif113

They shouldn't be in that league if they can't play against girls who are allowed in the league.

Ok so ban them. Doesn't mean they aren't allowed to forfeit matches they don't want to play.

"it would be a shame if this game ended in forfeit right now and you couldn't work on getting more goals to build an advantage in goal differential..."

it's not just about wins and losses.

Instead of cultural norms, what it really sounds like is that the Muslim squad was embarrassed to lose to girls and acted like sexist sore losers down 3-1 at the half. The coach should be fired for not following the letter and spirit of the association's rules.

I don't really know why they waited til half time. You could be right (and if you are the coach should most definitely be fired), but you also could be wrong. But in the end, the game could have been forfeited for any number of reasons by any other team and the girls would be in the same dilema. Thats on them. I don't see how this interferes with the other team's ability to forfeit.

Yes they are sexist and sore losers, but with the information given and no definitive proof the coach did what was in the best interest of his employer (school and parents) and their beliefs.

I don't understand the belief that if a team has a girl on their team, you can't play against them. Is there some religious rule? Something in the Quran?

Or is it just an illogical application of a dumb belief?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom