• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to China in November ?

I'm thinking about going to China for sightseeing in next few weeks. Was anyone there in October/November season and could share some experiences if it's good idea or would it be better to wait till next year ?

Hypnotoad

It really depends of where you are going, but in general, October and November are fine. Just don't go in winter ('cause of pollution), the midst of summer (temperature and humidity) or during spring festival and golden week (which just ended).

As far as sights and places go, what are you planning to visit?

Weiji

Banned
Screw the haters, eat the street food, it’s great. Also hole in the wall food places, anywhere with a lot of customers.

Had $5 half a crispy duck from a random street shop in Shanghai. Was fucking amazing. Chinese food is the best in the world.

If you will be in Shanghai at any point, hit the Bon. Really beautiful contrast of new and old.

waxer

As above I usually just avoid height of summer and winter.

Don't bother with guided tours like to great Wall. Just find a way to get there yourself.

I haven't visited much of the country. But in Beijing enjoyed the summer palace.
If you haven't experienced before can go to markets and try your hand at bargaining for knockoffs.

I enjoy the cheap street food as well.
I remember trying this rough looking food hall I assume employees go to at a mall. Was a nice clean one as well. But this was in back of building and prices were cheap plus food was good.
Man I miss hot pot and hand made noodles already.

We got super lazy while there though with delivery being so cheap. Some mornings would even have coffee delivered.

Touristy places can have scammers and pickpockets so take usual precautions.

Last edited:

Porcile

I'll be going in summer but then I'm used to living in Asia and it's ridiculous weather. Can't be any worse than Japan or Taiwan, fuck.

Boss Mog

Screw the haters, eat the street food, it’s great. Also hole in the wall food places, anywhere with a lot of customers.

Had $5 half a crispy duck from a random street shop in Shanghai. Was fucking amazing. Chinese food is the best in the world.

If you will be in Shanghai at any point, hit the Bon. Really beautiful contrast of new and old.
Ah yes, the "haters", those terrible people who don't want to eat food cooked in raw sewage. For those not in the know, feel free to google "gutter oil".

joombo

Banned
I'm jealous! China is amazing country. I visited it only once a few years ago but still can't forget that journey. I just want to add that if you want to visit more sightseeings and save money it's better to plan and book a few interesting excurtions in advance. Also here https://areaphonecodes.com/china/ is info about area codes in China if you need to contact with local services or unforeseen circumstances. Have a nice trip!

Last edited:
Got my tickets already :) Unfortunately it's guided trip so I won't be able to freely explore what I want but there was not enough time to prepare everything

If it is your first time, perhaps a guided trip is best. You'd be overwhelmed by the alien culture and masses of people instantly. Mind you, you won't see much of the real China with a guide and certainly not in just a few weeks.

Hudo

If you happen to visit Hong Kong, don't be surprised that English isn't as prevalent throughout there than one might expect. Had good street food experiences there, though. Hong Kong taxi drivers are fucking maniacs, lol. Also: Macao is underrated.
Sadly, I can't say anything about "Mainland China". Maybe I will get to enter/visit at some point.

Top Bottom