• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good cruisin songs for my 'cruisin mix' CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I'm getting my first car within the next couple weeks, and to celebrate, I'm already making a "cruisin mix" CD, something I've been wanting to do for a while. I've already got some stuff together from my mp3 collection, but I want more. It's kind of hard to describe what I'm looking for.....kind of a musical consistency between the songs, and not so much a lyrical consistency (well, no lyrical consistency whatsoever actually). Basically, stuff that's kind of ambient, more mellow-like cruisin music, as opposed to cruisin music that "pumps you up". Stuff that's more instrumental-based is preferred. To give you an idea of the range of stuff I already have, I've got U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name", Brian Eno "An Ending [Ascent]", Dirty Vegas "Days Go By acoustic" (yeah I know it was used in that Mitsubishi ad or whatever....I still think it's a good cruisin song), Air "Playground Love instrumental", Church "Under the Milkyway live '98", Radiohead "Talkshow Host", even the song "End of Small Sanctuary" from the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack....and a bunch of electronica/trip-hoppish stuff that you probably haven't heard of, and a couple sort of melodic and laid-back rap songs. It's going to be kind of tough arranging these so it flows well, but I'll manage.

Anyways, any individual song suggestions? Must be stuff available on iTunes, though. :)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm not nuts about the band like 99% of this board seems to be, but Franz Ferdinand makes for excellent driving music.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Aphex Twin - Film
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Medeski Martin and Wood - Sugar Craft
Medeski Martin and Wood - Bubblehouse
Tortoise - Dear Grandma and Grandpa
Tortoise - Monica

edit shit apparently only Steely Dan and Tortoise are on iTunes. let me think of some more with the rules in mind.

Europe - Final Countdown
Queen - Bicycle Race / We are the champions / Princes of the Universe / Flash Gordon
Danger Zone - Whoever does Danger Zone

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and your friends may think you are gay, but Prince makes hot cruising songs:

Take Me With You
I Would Die 4 You
Theives in the Temple
Uptown
Soft and Wet
etc. ;)

edit:
Felidae_Khrall said:
Danger Zone - Whoever does Danger Zone
Kenny Loggins pwned

nitewulf

nick drake - pink moon
craig chaquico - acoustic highway
joe satriani - why
thievery corporation - lebanese blonde/un simple histpoire
groove armada - pre 63
way out west - stealth

Garbage - Milk
Garbage - Stroke Of Luck
Garbage - You Look So Fine
Garbage - The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
Garbage - Cup Of Coffee
Garbage - Drive You Home
Garbage - Nobody Loves You
Garbage - So Like A Rose

way more

Some Modest Mouse and would fit nicely in there.

What you really need is The Beta Band, it's groovy, smooth, acoustic rock. They're the song that plays in High Fidelity when Rob says he'll sell 3 cd's or something.
And Swollen Member's - Deep End.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Burning Brides - Alternative Teenage Suicide

Demon, have I yet to steer you wrong? Fuck no. Now download this song and praise the Brides. You're gonna' have a hard time not doing 100 with this song on. It was made for driving. It's fucking AWESOME!

FnordChan

For mellow driving music, try Joao Gilberto (the hyper-mellow creator of bossa novva) or Orchestra Baobab (infinitely smooth Afro-Cuban). Damn near anything works, but if you're looking for specific songs try any Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto rendition of "Aguas de Marco", and for Baobab anything from Pirate's Choice, especially "La Rebellion".

Now, when you're ready to crank up the volume, go snag LL Cool J's "The Boomin' System", Kenny (Masters at Work) Dope and Screechy Dan's "Boomin' In Ya Jeep", and, of course, Sir Mix-A-Lot's "My Hooptie".

FnordChan

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Solar Stone - Solarcoaster is probably my favorite song to drive to... and it's unfortunately been killed by the pop radio (at least in NYC), but Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes works REALLY well for this, too. What electronica songs did you put on the album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom