• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Cloud Servers VS Microsoft Azure Servers

CyberPanda

Banned
Now, I know cloud gaming has been a heated topic on GAF in the last couple of days, but how the heck is Google going to get Stadia to a mass market potential if this is all the cloud servers they have?

google-cloud-data-center-locations-19.png

https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html

MS on the other hand has more data centres, and is also providing a dedicated gaming box. So, as of now MS has the advantage over Google by far IMO in regards to gaming.

mbQA4S7.png

YcgTHG1.png

Last edited:
Stronger and more proficient servers perhaps? I honestly don’t know. I think what Google is promising is near impossible, but maybe I will be proven wrong. High end PCs struggle to hit 4K 60fps, so what kind of wizardry is Google conjuring up?

Truespeed

I only count 8 zones for Microsoft while Google has 58 of them.

https://cloud.google.com/about/locations/

giDpgXT.png

Their Edge Network is how they connect with ISPs to get traffic to and from users and I don't think anyone is even close to the number of network edge locations that Google has.

qrJ6OOA.png

Google Fiber Network

GSAuFtt.png

Last edited:

lynux3

Sony Interactive Entertainment has since moved on from Rackspace, but some of Sony's other divisions remain there. I'm not even sure they use OpenStack anymore, and if they do it's at some colo setup in an AWS DC or leased space in another DC. I believe they are now mostly exclusively using AWS and then leasing space anywhere they need in order to service their userbase.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony Interactive Entertainment has since moved on from Rackspace, but some of Sony's other divisions remain there. I'm not even sure they use OpenStack anymore, and if they do it's at some colo setup in an AWS DC or leased space in another DC. I believe they are now mostly exclusively using AWS and then leasing space anywhere they need in order to service their userbase.

Do you have any information on this? I would be interested in reading it.

Lanrutcon

Poor Africa :(

So when we kick your ass in an online game, you need to feel twice as bad.

It's worth noting that MS only opened their Azure Data Center this year (there was a delay). I live relatively close to it, should have a great ping but I don't own an XBox. Meanwhile, Google is nowhere to be found.

Lort

Banned
Google Edge serves and cloudflare servers are just caching web servers.. they cant serve games or gaming infrastructure. Google was being very deceptive showing the picture of edge serves in their launch video.

ZywyPL

Banned
Poor Africa :(

LMAO my 1st thought exactly.

This is where all the input lag on Stadia comes from - lack of data centers across the globe. Many people here mislead connection speed with latency, but for example, a 10MB/s with 30ms lag is MUCH better than 100MB/s with 80ms lag, and lags come directly from the distance to the desired server. Amazon looks the worse from the bunch with those data centers concentrated in just four areas, good luck with that for real.

CloudFlare is the real deal

network-map.png

Impressive AF, that's how it's done. But then again, even the best hardware without proper software backup means completely nothing. It's like VR, where you can buy goggles from multiple producers, with different specs, in different price range et.c., but all of them still lack proper games support, hence nobody is interested in it and it's basically dead.

CeeJay

Google Edge serves and cloudflare servers are just caching web servers.. they cant serve games or gaming infrastructure. Google was being very deceptive showing the picture of edge serves in their launch video.

Yep, it's all very confusing to get a decent picture of who actually has the best cloud infrastructure. And even that question is highly subjective depending on the use case.

server # gaming servers

You map pictures with the data centers are worth noting.
MS is building new gaming server infrastructure on the basis of xbox.
No one know how big it is today, same with Google.

ANIMAL1975

Thank you, do you know if Sony also acquired data centers with the Gaikai and OnLive buy out?

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Cloud services is more along the lines to Microsoft's core business, where else advertising is Google's bread and butter.
Both companies are expanding in the Netherlands by building new DC's in the Northern part of the country.

lynux3

Do you have any information on this? I would be interested in reading it.
Nothing public, sorry. It's very rare that a company announces that they're migrating from one hosting company to another, but it's been done before.
Thank you, do you know if Sony also acquired data centers with the Gaikai and OnLive buy out?
As far as I know, whatever Gaikai was leasing or owned was acquired by Sony and regarding OnLive I believe Sony just picked up their patented technology.

Three

Now, I know cloud gaming has been a heated topic on GAF in the last couple of days, but how the heck is Google going to get Stadia to a mass market potential if this is all the cloud servers they have?

google-cloud-data-center-locations-19.png

https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html

MS on the other hand has more data centres, and is also providing a dedicated gaming box. So, as of now MS has the advantage over Google by far IMO in regards to gaming.

mbQA4S7.png

YcgTHG1.png

Those images are their major data centres linked globally by fibre. They do not provide the whole picture though.

This is from the presentation:

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Those images are their major data centres linked globally by fibre. They do not provide the whole picture though.

This is from the presentation:

That picture is highly questionable. What do the dots represent? What are those dots in Africa? They aren't Google DCs, according to Google. http://www.gcping.com/ says my requests are going to London and I'm on the south tip of Africa.

Three

That picture is highly questionable. What do the dots represent? What are those dots in Africa? They aren't Google DCs, according to Google. http://www.gcping.com/ says my requests are going to London and I'm on the south tip of Africa.
It is. It's their edge nodes but it all depends on where they have their actual Stadia servers for each region.

https://peering.google.com/#/infrastructure
MS and Google having a data centre in these regions means nothing. Having datacentres in Eastern Europe will not mean stadia or xCloud servers are available at those locations. In fact I don't think they have immediate plans to provide the service in some of the countries they have datacenters in. It will likely be US sites only for some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom