• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google: Slowly but surely, we will own you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/59492

Rumors have been circulating for some time that Google would be developing a Mozilla based browser and IM service that would easily integrate with the company's GMAIL. The hiring of two Mozilla/Firefox developers and a slew of other moves fuels suggestions there's a Mozilla based "GBrowser" is on the horizon.

On Monday, Ben Goodger, lead Firefox engineer announced via his log he was hired by Google back on January 10, with the official title of software engineer. He was however very tight lipped about what projects Google will have him working on

In the entry he noted that his role with Firefox and the Mozilla project would remain largely unchanged. "I remain devoted full-time to the advancement of Firefox, the Mozilla platform and web browsing in general," he promises.

Yesterday found another significant Mozilla developer, Darin Fisher, also announcing rather succinctly via his blog he'd been hired by the search giant Fisher is the "owner" of the Mozilla NSPR (Netscape Portable Runtime), Cookie/Permissions, and NetLib (The Mozilla Networking Library) modules.

Google has repeatedly stated they are not building a browser, but are simply interested in "improving the browsing experience". The company registered the Web address "gbrowser.com" on April 26 of last year, and has been continually hiring browser and javascript experts (including IE co-developer and ex Microsoft employee Adam Bosworth).

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
More power to Google. They make interesting and useful technology that they allow us to use for free. More ubercorporations should be like them.

After email I figured it was only a matter of time until they started an instant messenging service...

As for the browser stuff, if they're not making their own browser perhaps they're working on Firefox extensions? They've done the Google bar for IE (which people have modified to work with Firefox), so this could be like that to the next level. Perhaps they could offer a Firefox download with their extensions already included at a GBrowser site; that would give it some big exposure.

Macam

Banned
Well, it's hit or miss with Google. Google itself is great, GMail blows, and their Desktop Search tool isn't compatible with NOD32, the best anti-virus software on the market. So really, unless they offer me a really compelling reason to switch from FireFox/Safari, I'll just be sticking mostly to their search engine.

goodcow

I don't use Google anymore, I use Amazon's search engine www.a9.com. (though yes it uses Google's search results, but the layout is nicer, and it gives me a discount when shopping at Amazon)

Sriram

In case anyone didnt know, googles already got a IM client of sorts. Its integrated with picasa and is a really good way of sharing photos/albums. You can get it here

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Macam said:
Well, it's hit or miss with Google. Google itself is great, GMail blows, and their Desktop Search tool isn't compatible with NOD32, the best anti-virus software on the market. So really, unless they offer me a really compelling reason to switch from FireFox/Safari, I'll just be sticking mostly to their search engine.
Gmail rocks man.

What's wrong with it?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
crisdecuba said:
GMail rules. The burden of proof is on the naysayer :) - why do you feel it sucks?

~Cris
I was wondering that too. People say I hate on Sony just to go against the grain. I have myriad reasons to hate them. With Google, I can't see it. Everything just seems, right.

aoi tsuki

Not surprising. Firefox 1.0 PR has a specialized Google start page, hosted on google.com no less. This should've been the first clue that something was going on between the two.

i really wish someone, Google or otherwise, would make a desktop shell for Windows using Firefox that replaces explorer. i find myself using gestures everywhere, and having a file browser intergrated with Firefox (instead of IE) would be rather nice. The downsides include the collection of data on the PC sent to Google, and that with such integration it could make the computer as a whole more susceptible to attacks.

Coen

Google should find a way to categorize their searchresults. I absolutely hate googling for info on a certain band or book and having to wade through hunders of online stores selling that book or that band's CDs.

SFA_AOK

Coen said:
Google should find a way to categorize their searchresults. I absolutely hate googling for info on a certain band or book and having to wade through hunders of online stores selling that book or that band's CDs.

Tried clusty.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom