• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIntendo and Sony stock drops 3% in light of Stadia announcement

google-stadia.jpg

Google Stadia has not even launched, but the announcement of Google's cloud gaming service already has a negative impact on the Japanese video game giants Sony and Nintendo. Stocks of both companies drop by about 3% on the Nikkei stock exchange on Wednesday.
Google's Stadia service enables to play games on any device with up to 4K and 60 frames per second with HDR and surround sound. At least this is Google's promise. The company did not reveal concrete requirements on the hardware and more importantly internet connection to play on Stadia.
The big draw of Stadia could be the merging of playing games and watching them. If you watch one of your favorite Youtube stars playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, you are supposed to be able to simply click the “play now” button. Seconds later, you’ll be running around ancient Greece in your own game with no downloads, no updates, no patches and no installs.

People keep lauging even after the conference just because it's a streaming service but people don't understand instant play on any device at high fidelity graphics and frame rate.

But The Industry and Industry investors are seeing the big picture and are adjusting accordingly. I hope Sony or Nintendo partner with a big Japanese tech company so they will be more prepared to weather the storm. Sharp, NEC, Hitachi, DoCoMo, lots of options over there to build new infrastructure quick.

With Stadia launching this year, things are going to be exciting for the next several months!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People don’t understand, most of all investors sometimes, that’s why. Is the tech amazing? Hell yes, of course. Is it right “right now?” Hell no.

The problem isn’t the actual idea, or the service, or the set up... the problem is the world we live in. Even in developed first world countries, the Internet still isn’t anywhere near what it should be. Data caps, speed throttling and average speeds, as well as peak times, all add up.

So, it’s not as simple as saying it’s a magical device you plug in anywhere and boom you get 60fps 4k visuals. You will have blocky blurry graphics most of the time, and always have lag, regardless. So in short, a sub native image quality with increased control lag... it’s just not me for. For some games, games that don’t require anything serious? Sure. But for games like COD or any game that needs pixel perfect lag free control? No chance.

I hope they do well. But as it stands with the way the world is so far behind still, I can’t see it doing any better than all the other failed versions of it before it.

juliotendo

I didn’t know a 3% drop is considered a crash but ok.

Also, investors get spooked over anything. Remember these aren’t gamers, they are suits.

Ivellios

Man your threads are always so repetitive and sensationalist.

Stop wishing so hard for Sony and Nintendo to fail.

Raph64

I’m pretty sure you’re just another alt account of Microsofts Hunert Smoke at this point.

Last edited:
I guess Nintendo might have some challenges with the Switch model since you will be able to use Stadia in whatever has a screen and runs Chrome. Still, they have all the exclusives that make a lot of difference. Sony will be totally fine though.

Rodolink

I guess Nintendo might have some challenges with the Switch model since you will be able to use Stadia in whatever has a screen and runs Chrome. Still, they have all the exclusives that make a lot of difference. Sony will be totally fine though.

It certainly makes Nintendo Switch look like a toaster or an old idea in comparison. (just talking about technology)

StormCell

Switch has a screen and can run Chrome.... :messenger_neutral:

Dell dropped 2% today should I sell all 10,000 of my Dell stocks OP? Since that's almost 3 I guess they are heading toward bankruptcy.

Meanwhile JC penny went up 3% surely this means they are the next Amazon?

Barnabot

*Looks at the thead title and sees the "crashes" word in it. Reads the article and sees the 3% drop as a synonym of that same "crashes" word .*

Ok someone is really hyped for the streaming box.

Conan-san

I don't envy the next body who has to take Nintendo's next conference call. They're usually the stupidest of the dumbest asking why Mario's jump mechanics aren't chained to loot-boxes.

zenspider

No, it is investors who time and time again have shown that they don't understand the gaming industry...

I would never trust Google to provide my gaming;

https://www.independent.ie/business...for-blocking-advertising-rivals-37933468.html

A company that continuously infringes on competition law.

I've read over some of those shareholder meeting questions and concerns in the past, and these people are generally very reflexive and easy to corral with buzzwords and trends.

I doesn't take a much broader view to see that 1) Stradia success puts Switch in an awesome position as a brand. It's a solid wifi chip away from being a better Stradia, should this strategy take off. 2) We know the way the wind is blowing, and Google going first into this "post-gen" is a good thing for both Sony and Microsoft. Nobody was caught off guard by this, and now Google gets to make the mistakes first.

Most importantly, cloud gaming is not console warz - it is far less of a zero-sum game. It really comes down to finessing that inital financial commitment, then playing the attention economy game.
Looking at current Playststion as an example, Hardware + PSN + PSNow is cumbersome and the expenses are front-loaded. The business model is the place to innovate here, and Google bought Sony time. Should Stradia nab, say, FIFA at launch, you basically have perfect information to plan an attack.

ExpandKong

Banned
This is the most blatant shilling I’ve seen since xX_bettyCrocker6969_Xx started posting on the Pilsbury forums

or some equally stupid example idk I’m tired.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am finally caving in and using the ignore feature. Bye Voost aka mister media disciple aka Microsoft employee. I don't know how they allow this dude to make threads.

Whitecrow

Banned
OP can you enable the filter on your brain please?
We are not suposed to spit out the first random word that our mind generates. We are rational. Please be.

Last edited:

Domisto

Market is just rinsing some suckers as usual. They love a bit of volatility. Makes their algorithms spank faster.

Shin

Banned
Original article: Google Stadia impacts Nintendo and Sony stock in Japan
Thread title: Google Stadia crashes Nintendo and Sony stocks in Japan.

A.Romero

I got a notification yesterday that nvidia stocks were up 4%. What's the opposite of crashing? That's a whole 30% more than what Nintendo and Sony lost.

makaveli60

It's disgusting how much the casuals eat up this shit while mainstream media propagates it, though I'm not surprised at all. Please fail big time.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Is Voost Kain broke and dead? According to a reporter seeing him buy the cheapest off-the-shelf cough medicine, yes he is!

More sensationalist news at 11.

db1416

That’ll correct itself. People will realize game streaming isn’t plausible as a main gaming medium with the current internet system we have available now for most people.

I just got word from a source that works for Hershey's that Sony is already going bankrupt and is going to merge with fitbit.

Damn you Google!!! Damn you!!!

Good thing OP showed me thus important stock information an- what do you mean I lost all my money???

Top Bottom