• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V 10th Anniversary

EDIT: FUCK, I MESSED UP THE TITLE WITH "IV INSTEAD OF "V" PAHAHAH!!! Goes to show which one is the better game xD!

Happy 10th anniversary Grand Theft Auto V! From a solid foundational base game which wasn't supported with expansion packs that ultimately devolved into the monstrosity that is GTA: Online. An absolute train wreck which didn't include heists as anticipated, was incredibly tiresome to level up and gain cash, then pumped full of something called "sharkcards" and then overrun by cheaters and modifications that ultimately resulted in bans across the network.
Grand_Theft_Auto_V.png
191gme3sjjecdgif.gif
gtav-michael.gif
Grand_Theft_Auto_V.png

Ah, what excellent times!

Last edited:
gordon-ramsey-actually.gif

Divorced from all the online shit I liked the single player experience when I played it. Just sucks that GtAO was a runaway hit and money printer because that’s gonna be their focus now.
I'm exactly of the same mind. GTA: Online was more of a blessing than a curse. Had they focused on single player expansions and slowly introduced the online component, it would probably have been for the best.

amigastar

Oh, i remember watching people playing their early received copies and Rockstar trying to take them down. I love it.

I never finished it as it started to feel like a chore with its mission design. Also, despite looking impressive the world had the depth of a puddle. Stop for one minute and you realize that you are standing in a cardboard cutout. It also lacked the quality satirical dialogue of past entries. Sad that this has been the only game in the franchise for the last decade.

P.S. The only reason I am even replying to this thread is because I thought it was about GTA IV, which got me excited.

Last edited:
If GTA V had GTA IV's barebone multiplayer then a lot more people would say its one of the GOAT games. Even now, it's still a great game just to fuck around in single player

Anc GTA V is still the best designed sandbox game set in modern reality. It's crazy how no other studio can compete with a game that was built on the PS3/360 hardware

Last edited:
If GTA V had GTA IV's barebone multiplayer then a lot more people would say its one of the GOAT games. Even now, it's still a great game just to fuck around in single player

Anc GTA V is still the best designed sandbox game set in modern reality. It's crazy how no other studio can compete with a game that was built on the PS3/360 hardware
It is an awful sandbox. The vehicle mechanics are poor. The environment is static. The potential for interactions is almost nonexistant. Bully did all of this much better. Also, Red Dead Redemption came out around the same time.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It is an awful sandbox. The vehicle mechanics are poor. The environment is static. The potential for interactions is almost nonexistant. Bully did all of this much better. Also, Red Dead Redemption came out around the same time.
I remember installing it on my Steam Deck, getting into a car... Just feeling how pathetic and boring it was to drive. it moves with no resistance as if the car's some cardboard box, and there's not much punishment for driving like a dunce. Game's physics are just as bad as i remember. that fatass 100 gb game did not stay installed for long.

RDR2 is the real 2010s accomplishment from Rockstar. Deserved way more success than GTAV ever did

Last edited:
GTA V still has better driving than 99% of other open world games. And at least civilians react realistically to violent situations, unlike many other high profile games released in recent years. Outside of RDR2, no game has come close to matching the detailed world of GTA V. It's still one of the most enjoyable games to explore and fuck around in. It's why it still consistently charts in the top 10. Laughably ignorant to call it one of the "worst sandboxes", as if it's the cool hipster thing to say

GTA V still has better driving than 99% of other open world games. And at least civilians react realistically to violent situations, unlike many other high profile games released in recent years. Outside of RDR2, no game has come close to matching the detailed world of GTA V. It's still one of the most enjoyable games to explore and fuck around in. It's why it still consistently charts in the top 10. Laughably ignorant to call it one of the "worst sandboxes", as if it's the cool hipster thing to say
When a mediocre open world game like Mafia III has it beat I think it is time to reassess. Who do you think its competition is? Mobile games?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GTA V still has better driving than 99% of other open world games.
Worse driving physics than Forza Horizon 5, BeamNG, and GTAIV. So no.

Physics in it are worse than in TOTK, GTAIV, RDR2 and BeamNG as well.

combat is worse than in GTAIV, Max Payne (all 3 of them), Control, RDR2, RE2, RE4, TLOU2, most third person games really.

Last edited:

amigastar

Thats true, i love the driving physics in GTA V. So fun.

Worse driving physics than Forza Horizon 5, BeamNG, and GTAIV. So no.

Physics in it are worse than in TOTK, GTAIV, RDR2 and BeamNG as well.

combat is worse than in GTAIV, Max Payne (all 3 of them), Control, RDR2, RE2, RE4, TLOU2, most third person games really.
Yeah, GTA V doesn't have better driving than the best racing games lol. Have you ever played Watch Dogs or Cyberpunk and compared them to GTA V's driving?

GTA V's physics still better than 99% of games. Give me a break

Yeah, combat is disappointing, that is still fair criticism. It's too bad Rockstar couldn't implement Max Payne 3's gunplay into GTA V. They were being developed simultaneously. GTA 6 will be legendary if Rockstar can actually incorporate top tier 3rd person gunplay. Just do that and the game will feel revolutionary

Sleepwalker

...yeah it would've been installing the game since an installation was required on both PS3 and Xbox 360.
No, not for install. to load into the start of the game.

I guess it only took 2 and a half minutes but it felt like ages, so did going into online.

You had to load into story mode to then load into online if I recall, so that was about 4 minutes to get into online on the PS3.

Last edited:
Ten years later and it's still my least favorite in the series. I haven't played it since it launched on XB360 and PS3. I hope VI breaks the mold a little.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I generally avoid playing online games, so I can't speak to the online mode, but I enjoyed the story mode. I still think IV was a better overall story mode (physics, driving, story, atmosphere), but V was still very good.

I have yet to fully understand some of the criticisms I've seen of it. It's highly satirical take on LA is great and the protagonists are intentionally unlikable. Those aren't cons, in my opinion, but pros within the context of it's location and the gameplay.

GTA VI's single player is just going to be the prologue of GTA Online. The ending of the game is that you get a house and online picks up from that.
YOU GET TO BUY NEW FURNITURE YOU FUCKING BITCH!

And yes. I really liked GTA V's single player.

What did your mama tell you lies?
She said it wasn't polite to tell a white one
What did your daddy tell you about lies?
He said one white lie turns into a black one

So, it's gettin' ready to blow
It's gettin' ready to show
Somebody shot off at the mouth and
We're getting ready to know
It's gettin' ready to drop
It's gettin' ready to shock
Somebody done turned up the heater
An' a it's gettin' ready to pop

SimTourist

It's ironic that Leslie Benzies was the one that pushed for GTA Online and the Housers didn't care for it. He got fired for that reason but in the end he was right on the money.

Top Bottom