• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grateful Dead to Play Last Shows Ever July 3-5, 2015 Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are not a lot of deadheads here on GAF, and probably the one's who are, have already heard the news, but after 50 years on (and off) the road, the remaining members of the Grateful Dead (Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart & Bill Kreutzman) will be playing their final shows together on July 3-5, 2015 at Chicago's famed Soldier Field. Backing them up will be Trey Anastasio (see avatar <-) on Guitar (!!!!!) and Jeff Chimenti and Bruce Hornsby sharing keyboard duties.

Soldier Field is where the Grateful Dead would play their final shows with Jerry Garcia in July, 1995 about a month before Jerry left us. This will be a wonderful event to reflect on the last 50 years and the wonderful, quintessentially American rock n' roll legacy that the Dead have left behind.

I've only had the privilege of seeing the Dead once, in 2004 at the Gorge in Washington, with the Allman Brothers Band opening. I've seen Phil Lesh and Friends 3 times and Bob Weir and Ratdog once. This will be my final shot to see the original members all on stage again, and I for one, won't miss it. I've got my room booked and am already checking out flights, which don't seem too outrageous.

Hoping to see some fellow GAFers heading to Chicago for this one.

10420755_599451543521230_354952380107484081_n.jpg

We're thrilled to announce "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead". To celebrate the band's 50th anniversary, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir will reunite at Chicago's Soldier Field, to perform on July 3, 4, and 5, 2015, marking the Grateful Dead's last-ever performance together. The band will be joined by Trey Anastasio (guitar), Jeff Chimenti (keyboards), and Bruce Hornsby (piano). In the tradition of the original Grateful Dead Ticketing Mail Order, tickets will first be made available via a first-come, first-served mail order system. All additional ticketing information is available at http://Dead50.net.

I beg of you, don't murder me, if old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ1vXdf1Q0

My favorite teacher ever was a dead head. She'd get a sub whenever there was a show and tell us about it when she got back. I wonder how she's feeling about this

Hale-XF11

I may or may not go. Money's tight these days. I dunno, we'll see...

Meantime, I thought I'd share this with you guys:

RsaYdLn.jpg

It's my ticket stub from their last show ever with Jerry. What an amazing and magical night that was. <3

I may or may not go. Money's tight these days. I dunno, we'll see...

Meantime, I thought I'd share this with you guys:

RsaYdLn.jpg

It's my ticket stub from their last show ever with Jerry. What an amazing and magical night that was. <3

I can't imagine. You should try to make it to at least one night. One last hurrah with the boys.

Anyone get tickets?

We had given up using 2 phones, an ipad, a desktop and an old crappy laptop and the old crappy laptop came through. Behind the stage with no view!

We're behind the stage too! After 70 minutes of trying on two phones and two computers, and tons of tickets lost due to it timing out, we scored two 3-night passes for section 354 and one three night pass for 351. Hoping I can somehow turn one of those three night passes behind the stage into two tickets in front of the stage, for at least one night. We'll see though. Regardless, so happy to be in! It's going to be an amazing weekend.

We'll be able to see the band, right? I've seen a couple Phish shows from behind the stage, and I actually kind of like it. So long as they don't use a backdrop, we should be fine.

I read there are three day field passes up for $160,000!!!! LOL!

Oh man. I didn't think I was actually going to end up with tickets. This is pretty dope. No one else I know that was/is trying has managed to score anything.

We're behind the stage too! After 70 minutes of trying on two phones and two computers, and tons of tickets lost due to it timing out, we scored two 3-night passes for section 354 and one three night pass for 351. Hoping I can somehow turn one of those three night passes behind the stage into two tickets in front of the stage, for at least one night. We'll see though. Regardless, so happy to be in! It's going to be an amazing weekend.

We'll be able to see the band, right? I've seen a couple Phish shows from behind the stage, and I actually kind of like it. So long as they don't use a backdrop, we should be fine.

I read there are three day field passes up for $160,000!!!! LOL!

Oh man. I didn't think I was actually going to end up with tickets. This is pretty dope. No one else I know that was/is trying has managed to score anything.

Upon reviewing our seats, we're actually to the side of the stage which hasn't been bad in my past experiences (Bruce Springsteen and Foo Fighters). I'm sure they'll be big screens showing the band and the back is usually open. We'll be in Sect. 246.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Roll call? One more week!

Anyone hitting Santa Clara this weekend?

Damn. Wish I would have seen this earlier. Would kill to see Unbroken Chain, New Speedway Boogie, or China Doll live. Not that they would probably play any of the three, but whatevs! Now I am broke and 8 hours away. Not a good combo. :(

Damn. Wish I would have seen this earlier. Would kill to see Unbroken Chain, New Speedway Boogie, or China Doll live. Not that they would probably play any of the three, but whatevs! Now I am broke and 8 hours away. Not a good combo. :(

I've seen Phil play Unbroken Chain and Bobby play NSB and China Doll...and have not seen that many shows by either. I think Unbroken Chain is pretty likely, and China Doll. New Speedway is maybe a bit more of a longshot, but it's not like you're asking for France or Blues for Allah. I'm 20 hours away, but yeah, I'm gonna be broke after this for sure.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I've seen Phil play Unbroken Chain and Bobby play NSB and China Doll...and have not seen that many shows by either. I think Unbroken Chain is pretty likely, and China Doll. New Speedway is maybe a bit more of a longshot, but it's not like you're asking for France or Blues for Allah. I'm 20 hours away, but yeah, I'm gonna be broke after this for sure.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. It is just that every time I see my idols, it is like they know exactly what I want to hear and refuse to comply! :p

Varna

I knew if somebody started this topic on neogaf it would be Goldenroad.

I won't be able to attend in person, but I did catch tonights show on nugs.tv.

I'm not usually a fan of Trey in these groups, but he was on fire today. Sadly Bob Weir really brought down the quality of the show for me. When everyone was on point during the heavy jamming Bob's guitar playing was just grating... in his best moments he was inoffensive. I don't know how many years Phil has left, but I'm glad he won't be wasting any more time playing with Weir.

Not sure if I will even bother with the other shows now.

phanphare

Banned
I knew if somebody started this topic on neogaf it would be Goldenroad.

I won't be able to attend in person, but I did catch tonights show on nugs.tv.

I'm not usually a fan of Trey in these groups, but he was on fire today. Sadly Bob Weir really brought down the quality of the show for me. When everyone was on point during the heavy jamming Bob's guitar playing was just grating... in his best moments he was inoffensive. I don't know how many years Phil has left, but I'm glad he won't be wasting any more time playing with Weir.

Not sure if I will even bother with the other shows now.

poor bobby, dude's up there trying to be a band leader and it's just not working out for him. you can tell they did these shows a couple of years too late.

really impressed with trey though. you can tell he knows how special these shows should be and he came prepared. mother fucking cream puff war. it's actually a good thing they picked trey because he's been keeping a lot of moments from being too trainwreck-y.

the MVP so far is Bill Walton

edit: this sums it up pretty well. trey ripping up hell in a bucket, phil down for the cause, bill walton getting the fuck down in the audience, and bobby not having any of it lol

c8QnDEO.gif

Varna

poor bobby, dude's up there trying to be a band leader and it's just not working out for him. you can tell they did these shows a couple of years too late.

really impressed with trey though. you can tell he knows how special these shows should be and he came prepared. mother fucking cream puff war. it's actually a good thing they picked trey because he's been keeping a lot of moments from being too trainwreck-y.

the MVP so far is Bill Walton

edit: this sums it up pretty well. trey ripping up hell in a bucket, phil down for the cause, bill walton getting the fuck down in the audience, and bobby not having any of it lol

c8QnDEO.gif

Phil's groups still put out some amazing work. The last two nights of his 75th birthday shows are two of my favorite shows from the Dead family (and Jam bands in general). It's unfortunately that his age is going to catch up to him real soon.

Was nights two any better? First night definitely had some moments were the band completely lost it's way (Born Cross-eyed, Alligator were really bad). Like you said, Trey did his damn best to keep it sounding professional.

Shame I lost any interest in seeing these last few nights because of Bobby. Does anyone tell him how bad he sounds now? That god awful tone, those weird out of key chords... argh. I understood that was always his thing, but certainly he has to realize he is not being utilized by other lead players like Garcia did.

phanphare

Banned
anyone at the Chicago shows? I thought they were all really good. each night brought something completely different. night one was high energy and transcendent, night 2 was more mellow but still great, and last night seemed like a proper send off for the band. loved the song selection for all 5 of the shows. they hit all corners of their catalog.

also lol at Bobby for the first encore. 50 years a prankster.

touch.jpg

anyone at the Chicago shows? I thought they were all really good. each night brought something completely different. night one was high energy and transcendent, night 2 was more mellow but still great, and last night seemed like a proper send off for the band. loved the song selection for all 5 of the shows. they hit all corners of their catalog.

Didn't make it to the show but definitely interesting crowd around my neighborhood this weekend. Seeing old generation Deadheads all over the place was kinda cool.

Although I could've done without seeing the guy who had his skull shirt over his head but otherwise naked sleeping in Grant Park.

phanphare

Banned
Didn't make it to the show but definitely interesting crowd around my neighborhood this weekend. Seeing old generation Deadheads all over the place was kinda cool.

Although I could've done without seeing the guy who had his skull shirt over his head but otherwise naked sleeping in Grant Park.

lol, fucking wooks

Varna

also lol at Bobby for the first encore. 50 years a prankster.

touch.jpg

How was Bobby? Did he come to terms were merely being eye candy. I hear a lot of great things about the first show.

HeySeuss

My girlfriend just got back from going to each days show. She made it down to the floor on 2 of the nights. Had a blast. She used to follow them around from tour to tour. Wish I could've went, but alas it was not meant to be.

I don't think it'll be their last show though.

I've heard/been in more discussion about who "should" have been in the guitar spot with people over the past several months than I care to admit, but trey really was the man for the job. I don't think anyone else would have held it together as well in that stadium, under that much pressure, and killing it the whole time.

Varna

I've heard/been in more discussion about who "should" have been in the guitar spot with people over the past several months than I care to admit, but trey really was the man for the job. I don't think anyone else would have held it together as well in that stadium, under that much pressure, and killing it the whole time.

Should have been Trey and Kimock... such a tragedy that Phil and him don't get along.

Should have been Trey and Kimock... such a tragedy that Phil and him don't get along.

Man...they did not need two lead guitars and Bobby. Bobby more than held his own this weekend. It was seriously the best I can remember that man sounding in over a decade. The licks he and Trey were trading off during NFA just brought smiles and cheers through the whole stadium. And Trey man...holy crap. I think the whole bad exceeded the entire audiences expectations, but Trey was the most on I've ever seen him, and I've been to some really amazing Phish shows over the last 5 years. I can't wait to see what Summer Tour will bring. Dicks can't come soon enough.

Seriously one of the best weekends of my life. I've never come back from a run of shows feeling so happy and rejuvenated. Of course it's a real pity that this band will never play together again, but what a way to go out.

Thank you Chicago. Thank you Grateful Dead!

Varna

pretty sure kimock is touring with weir, mike gordon, and john mayer this fall. should be some great shows.

Ratdog?

Because the way Weir treats his lead players is fucken disgraceful. Caught that last few LA shows and Kimock was bored out of his mind. I don't even know how you get that kind of performance out of the guy. You could tell every time he tried to kick it up a bit Weir just brought the whole thing down (like that .gif illustrates).

Man...they did not need two lead guitars and Bobby. Bobby more than held his own this weekend. It was seriously the best I can remember that man sounding in over a decade. The licks he and Trey were trading off during NFA just brought smiles and cheers through the whole stadium. And Trey man...holy crap. I think the whole bad exceeded the entire audiences expectations, but Trey was the most on I've ever seen him, and I've been to some really amazing Phish shows over the last 5 years. I can't wait to see what Summer Tour will bring. Dicks can't come soon enough.

Seriously one of the best weekends of my life. I've never come back from a run of shows feeling so happy and rejuvenated. Of course it's a real pity that this band will never play together again, but what a way to go out.

All right man. You sold me. Holding you responsible if these shows don't meet my ridiculous expectations.

phanphare

Banned
Ratdog?

Because the way Weir treats his lead players is fucken disgraceful. Caught that last few LA shows and Kimock was bored out of his mind. I don't even know how you get that kind of performance out of the guy. You could tell every time he tried to kick it up a bit Weir just brought the whole thing down (like that .gif illustrates).

All right man. You sold me. Holding you responsible if these shows don't meet my ridiculous expectations.

pretty sure one or both of the drummers is doing it as well

and with both Kimock and Mayer I think it should be really good. mayer sat in for a phil and friends show recently and killed it, I thought. he played like warren haynes should play when he does dead stuff.

yeah this summer should be very good. I'm going to Dick's as well. going to be awesome, my buddy is getting married and we're doing that for his bachelor party. went the past 2 years and it's just an amazing venue.

My lady and I have done every Dick's show, all of them on the floor, most in the first few rows. I don't have floor tix this year and we're somewhat considering not going, but I met with a guy this weekend who I sold our extra 3 day Soldier Field pass to, and in return he's supposed to sell me his Dick's floor tickets when he gets them. We set this up through cashortrade.com so hopefully he comes through...I'd be real sad to miss Phish @ Dick's.

Sorcerer

Does Trey do any vocal duties?

And if they do a song that had Garcia vocals who would take that on, Bobby?

I hear they are avoiding there well known stuff and opting for more obscure stuff?

Does Phil do Box of Rain?

Does Trey do any vocal duties?

And if they do a song that had Garcia vocals who would take that on, Bobby?

I hear they are avoiding there well known stuff and opting for more obscure stuff?

Does Phil do Box of Rain?

They all sing. Trey sings some Jerry songs, so do Phil, Bobby and Bruce.

They played around 90 songs between the 5 final shows including Touch of Grey and an epic rip roaring almost never played Golden Road!!!!

Phil opened the first night of Chicago with Box of Rain and there were tears flowing.

I also can't overstate how good the Drums portions of these shows are. Mickey and Billy were on a whole other level.

phanphare

Banned
My lady and I have done every Dick's show, all of them on the floor, most in the first few rows. I don't have floor tix this year and we're somewhat considering not going, but I met with a guy this weekend who I sold our extra 3 day Soldier Field pass to, and in return he's supposed to sell me his Dick's floor tickets when he gets them. We set this up through cashortrade.com so hopefully he comes through...I'd be real sad to miss Phish @ Dick's.

my favorite seats are dead center all the way in the back in the stands. literally the last legit row in the venue. that colorado sky is something else. also there's a delay stack that faces directly at this section so the sound is perfect. I had a 3-night floor pass both years too haha. only did 1 show per run on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom