• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Hardcore album of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Absolutely no doubt in my mind:

c88336qu716.jpg

Texas is the Reason; Do you know who you are?

Besides having possibly the coolest band name of all time, they followed it up with an another awesome musical reference for their album name.. sadly the supergroup could only keep their ego's in check for one album, but it shits all over everything else IMO.

This band is what got me through the Sunny Day real estate fiasco.. then they broke up shortly afterwords :(

Edit: Also, fucking emoboys who are trying to retroactively recruit bands that predate emo can die.

Gorey

Gah, no way. Those are both great albums but 'best'? No way, not even close.

My Top Three off the Top OF My Head;

Bad Brains: Rock for Light
Sick of it All: Blood, Sweat, and No Tears
Jawbreaker: 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Bad Brains - Roir Sessions
Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain
D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
D.O.A. - Hardcore '81

Exis

Refused for modern, Best live group I have ever seen that is still kinda around(best being the Pilfers)

Murphys Law-- Back with a bong for the old school, this album makes me happy.

-Exis

Gorey

If we're going to get into what is or isn't hardcore, then the whole thread is a little off as modern emo=not hardcore. Sorry, I guess I'm just old.

Bad Brains - Roir Sessions
Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain
D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
D.O.A. - Hardcore '81
Damn, that takes me back. Good taste :D

Jim Bowie

How the fuck do you call Texas is the Reason hardcore? What's next, Straylight Run?

And about Refused. Fucking YES YES YES YES YES

ZILLION

Ditto to everything Redwarf listed.

I'll add

OLD STUFF

Gorilla Biscuits-Start Today-This record kicks off with the amazing track New Direction. Unfortunately that New Direction spawned a bunch of shitty bands. Still a great record though.

B000000TAL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Slapshot-Step On It-Classic Boston hardcore. If you haven't heard it,you must check it out. No Friend Of Mine and In Your Face are classic hardcore tracks.

B000000EQP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

7 Seconds-The Crew/Walk Together Rock Together-2 great albums by 1 great band.

663432.jpg

663544.jpg

NEWER STUFF

Jello Biafra and The Melvins-Don't Believe What You Can't See-That's not a typo. Good stuff.

Funeral Shock-It's pummeling. It's awesome. F'ing great new band.

Tear it Up-Nothing To Nothing-Everything this band releases is golden

Tri-State Killing Spree-Some Words On The Subject Of Being Alive

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I'll second the Gorilla Biscuits and 7 Seconds. Jello Biafra and the Melvins is really, really good. Recommended to all.

-i’m surprised no one has mentioned Minor Threat. they were definitely one of the most influential hardcore bands of the early 80’s, if not the most (inspired 7 seconds and created the straight edge scene). my personal favorite.

003.jpg

jello biafra with nomeansno is also aweosme.

White Man

Minor Threat is excellent stuff, but there's better hardcore records out there. It's definitely one of the most important HC records of all time.

I was a pretty big hardcore head throughout highschool. I'm still a rather large Dischord whore. It used to be my goal to own every release in their catalog. . .then I moved and I had more important things to worry about. My picks:

B000000LZ2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This album represents the semi-mythical era when California HC didn't blow ass. Definitely one of my most listened to records. Black Flag would never sound this hot again. Actually, they were sorta the progenitors of the California HC scene's ass blowing with their later records.

I really want to list Meat Puppets II, but I know that wouldn't be correct.

B000000JNN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Well, not only is the record incredibly important, it also fucking crushes. I listened to this like every day in high school, and it's probably the reason I started playing guitar. When I hear this today, it's pretty obvious that most of the possibilities of emo have been completely pissed away.

Props to everyone listing Bad Brains and 7 Seconds. Especially Bad Brains.

B000000M03.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
or
B000000LZI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh, I made it this far without listing the Meat Puppets, but I couldn't resist the glorious call of Husker Du. I think they're more often thrown into the category of post-punk due to their wankier leanings on Zen Arcade, but these guys, to me, really flourished when they were tossing out heavy noise with barely any production. Favorites - pre-Zen Arcade: Metal Circus, which is sort of the Spanish Civil War compared to Zen Arcade's WWII. post-ZA: New Day Rising. Fuck most critics, this is their best album. By a hair.

I am abstaining from mentioning Fugazi. No. . .post. . .hardcore.

I'd also like to mention the Nation of Ulysses, but ultimately I have grown bored of this thread. And the Refused's Shape of Punk to Come is at least a half hour too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom