• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey, green, blue, purple, gold - Who did this first?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I love loot games, and there are a lot of loot games that use either this exact loot structure, or something very similar. My question is, who did it first? Was it World of Warcraft? I never played that game, and I'm not even sure it uses that exact loot system, but that was my first guess. if not, who did it first? It seems pretty common these days.

Comandr

WoW is the earliest implementation I can remember with the colors being common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
WoW is the earliest implementation I can remember with the colors being common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary.
Yeah, I should have gone with gold / orange, as I've seen plenty of both colors used for legendary items. Does anyone know of any game that color-coded loot before WOW?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Diablo II did this scheme first. Loot quality in that game was (in order): poor, normal, magic, rare, set, unique. With rare being light gold, set being green, and unique being orange.

There were probably some other games around that time that used a different color coding, like Everquest, but Diablo II was the first one to codify it into a scheme that closely resembles the modern one.

Whitecrow

Banned
Awful color code btw.
It's known that human eye is more sensitive to light than to color.

Why not use saturation/brightness instead of unrelated hues?

Top Bottom