• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grocery-store worker falls behind coolers and dies; body found 10 years later

-Minsc-

There's a very good chance they get sued and lose. It just depends on if there is a statute of limitations for wrongful death in the state.

Edit: Looks like the Statute of Limitations is only two years in Iowa for wrongful death.

You think they did deep cleans on any kind of regular basis?
I really don't know what the regulations are on this. Chances are it was cheaper to only do it when caught.

I wonder if heat from the compressors and the like dried the body out quicker? It's possible the stores ventilation did its job and pulled any smell away to outside. If people were upwind would they even smell a body?

I can't imagine how hellish that was if he somehow survived the fall and was just stuck back there until he died. Reminds me of the same uncomfortable feeling I got about the Nutty Putty cave incident.

BkmpH9v.jpg

Yeah, generally I wouldn't say I'm claustrophobic, but reading about this (in more detail on other sites) made me feel terribly so. I couldn't breathe just placing myself in this poor guys shoes. What a nightmare.

-Minsc-

Yeah, generally I wouldn't say I'm claustrophobic, but reading about this (in more detail on other sites) made me feel terribly so. I couldn't breathe just placing myself in this poor guys shoes. What a nightmare.
That spot is literally the mans grave. I was wondering if they had gotten his body out, apparently not. They sealed up the opening, something I expected them to do even if they managed to save him.

Tesseract

Banned
i never understood the john jones cave rescue, they could have just ripped him out and broken his legs but they chose not to because the shock might have killed him

guess what mother fuckers, he's dead now

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
A girl got murdered
NOBODY MAKE JOKES
A dude died horribly
LOL COOL

Feminists!

That spot is literally the mans grave. I was wondering if they had gotten his body out, apparently not. They sealed up the opening, something I expected them to do even if they managed to save him.

You never know what will be your undoing, but going down head-first into an incredibly tight spot in an un-mapped section of a cave would just be too risky imo. I love adventure and pushing boundaries, but I think it's always best to have a little foresight and proper caution while you're having your fun.

Kadayi

Banned
Damn, that is a nasty death. Just lodged there until you die of dehydration (takes about 3 days...). I've heard of some bad deaths before *, but that's definitely up there. Also, fuck anything to do with caves or cave diving. You couldn't pay me enough money to even remotely do any of that shit. I think you've legitimately got to have a deathwish to engage in anything as outright treacherous as that as a hobby. Even the thought of crawling between boulders makes me queasy...:messenger_dizzy:

* check out the first episode of the Memory Palace 'Horrible Death' Skip the first 50 seconds or so as it's a preamble to the series going on Radiotopia.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I really don't know what the regulations are on this. Chances are it was cheaper to only do it when caught.
There's no regulation saying "X task must be done on Y timeline." Laws governing cleanliness in stores are written as "the store has to be clean, X% of surfaces must be free of harmful bacteria when tested," if they even get that specific. If people aren't getting sick and a store isn't visibly dirty no inspector is going to go out of their way to find problems.

nush

Gold Member
There's no regulation saying "X task must be done on Y timeline." Laws governing cleanliness in stores are written as "the store has to be clean, X% of surfaces must be free of harmful bacteria when tested," if they even get that specific. If people aren't getting sick and a store isn't visibly dirty no inspector is going to go out of their way to find problems.
Exactly, I used to have to do quality inspections over a number of sites weekly. I was under resourced, paid shit and the sites were far apart. A cursory glance was all that was required so I could fill I. The form to say the site had been inspected. As long at the site wasn't completely obviously terrible there was no benefit or time for me to drill down until I found something. I wasn't getting paid any overtime to do that.
The exception to that rule tends to be fire safety officers as the just check equipment and fire exits and inspection documents, it's a lot easier and worse if There is a fire compared to sub standard products or some food poisoning.

I can't imagine how hellish that was if he somehow survived the fall and was just stuck back there until he died. Reminds me of the same uncomfortable feeling I got about the Nutty Putty cave incident.

BkmpH9v.jpg

Jesus I was up in the roof the other day and I got claustrophobia. Can't imagine this for one second. I'd instantly go insane and gouge my own eyes out.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!

BkmpH9v.jpg
this is the scariest thing i can imagine

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
That Cave story is scary. I walked through some ice crevices in a glacier and the thought that at any moment the thing can move and squish me like a grape terrified me and that was a fairly tame touristy activity. One of the tour guides said he gets nightmares that he falls down a crevice.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It must not have smelled for very long or maybe the refrigeration preserved him better somehow so it wasn’t as pungent as you’d think

DXiAjuo.png

2.3 stars, oof.

Review from Oct 30th:
“Oddly realistic dead body decoration behind freezers. Crappy deals. Would not shop here again”

Last edited:
Top Bottom