• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: Vice City - *best soundtrack ever?

Borys

Banned
I mean does VC has the best *licensed* soundtrack ever or what?
I love your typical Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc. OSTs but when it comes to licensed music nothing comes close to Vice City.

EA Trax = what a joke, R* is where it's at.

Wildstyle said:
1. Rockit - Herbie Hancock
2. The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
3. More Bounce To The Ounce - Zapp & Roger
4. One For The Treble (Vocal Mix) - Davy Dmx
5. Bassline - Mantronix
6. Hip Hop Bee Bop (Don't Stop) - Man Parrish
7. Al-Naafiysh (The Soul) - Hashim
8. Clear - Cybotron
9. Looking For The Perfect Beat - Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force
10. Rock Box - RUN DMC
11. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
12. Magic's Wand - Whodini

V-Rock said:
1. You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
2. Too Young to Fall in Love - Mötley Crüe
3. Peace Sells - Megadeth
4. Dangerous Bastard - Rockstarąs Love Fist
5. Turn Up The Radio - Autograph
6. I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
7. Bark At The Moon - Ozzy Osbourne
8. Madhouse - Anthrax
9. 2 Minutes To Midnight - Iron Maiden
10. Raining Blood - Slayer
11. Cumin' Atcha Live - Tesla
12. Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth

Wave 103 said:
1. Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
2. Pale Shelter - Tears For Fears
3. Kids In America - Kim Wilde
4. Atomic - Blondie

5. I Ran (So Far Away) - A Flock Of Seagulls
6. (Keep Feeling) Fascination - The Human League
7. 99 Luftballons - Nena
8. Love My Way - The Psychedelic Furs
9. Gold - Spandau Ballet
10. Hyperactive! - Thomas Dolby
11. Never Say Never - Romeo Void
12. Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart

Emotion 98.3 said:
1. Africa - Toto
2. Crockett's Theme - Jan Hammer
3. Missing You - John Waite
4. (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
5. Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner
6. Broken Wings ­ Mr. Mister
7. More Than This - Roxy Music
8. Tempted - Squeeze
9. Keep On Loving You - Reo Speedwagon
10. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
11. Never Too Much - Luther Vandross
12. Wow - Kate Bush

Flash FM said:
1. Out Of Touch - Hall & Oates
2. Four Little Diamonds - Electric Light Orchestra
3. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
4. Your Love - The Outfield
5. Life's What You Make It - Talk Talk
6. Run To You - Bryan Adams
7. Dance Hall Days - Wang Chung
8. Call Me - Go West
9. Running With The Night - Lionel Richie
10. Self Control - Laura Branigan
11. Kiss the Dirt - Inxs
12. Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes

Fever 105 said:
1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
2. Automatic (Extended Version) - The Pointer Sisters
3. Act Like You Know - Fat Larry's Band
4. Juicy Fruit - Mtume
5. Behind The Groove - Teena Marie
6. Get Down Saturday Night
7. Ghetto Life - ­ Rick James
8. Shame - Evelyne "Champagne" King
9. All Night Long - Mary Jane Girls
10. Summer Madness - Kool & The Gang
11. I'll Be Good - Various,Angela Winbush,Rene Moore
12. And The Beat Goes On - Whispers

Espantoso... yeah said:
1. Super Strut - Deodato
2. A Gozar Con Mi Combo - Cachao
3. Me And You Baby (Picao Y Tostao) - Mongo Santamaria
4. Mambo Mucho Mambo - Machito & His Afro-Cuban Orchestra
5. Jamay - Xavier Cugat & His Orchestra
6. Mama Papa Tu - Mongo Santamaria
7. La Vida es Una Lenteia - Unaesta
8. Expansions - Lonnie Liston Smith
9. Aguanile - Irakere
10. Maracaibo Oriental - Beny Moré
11. Latin Flute - Deodato
12. Mambo Gozón - Tito Puente

V-Rock
vrock6nx.jpg

and Flash FM
flashfm5gl.jpg

fuckin' own.

San Andreas disappointed me with its soundtrack (one Depeche song and one Cypress song? at least "Welcome to the Jungle" rocks as usual).

As for GTA3 - there can be only one, Rise FM!

I pretty much listened to Fever and Flash only. Definetly the best licensed soundtrack though. GTA sounds have something for everyone, which puts them way ahead of other licensed soundtracks.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
siege said:
Yeah, the Vice City soundtrack is really good. Coincidentally, it's also the best GTA game.

I agree with the first part, I don't agree with the 2nd

Ranger X

Best liscenced soundtrack indeed. And must add that Atomic from Blondie rules.

There is one BIG SHAME about this soundtrack though: it does not includes Cars from Gary Newman even if it's in the game.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Without question. That was the most fun part of the game, for me at least. Which is why I never ended up getting into San Andreas nearly as much. SA's soundtrack just tried to be too diverse, and ended up having far less songs that really took you back to the time period. But with Vice City, almost every one of those songs was memorable to begin with.

sly

Banned
No doubt. Driving around waiting for "Africa" to play on the raido was a guilty pleasure. :lol
Definitely the best game soundtrack ever; it takes the best memorable tracks from each genre and blends them into a perfect cocktail.

I loved SA's soundtrack. Some guilt-releaving levity was always added when you finished mowing down gangsters, cops, and innocents only to make your get away in a car playing, "...mothers, don't let your children grow up to be cowboys."

Ceb

It's easily the best GTA soundtrack, that's for sure. The main reason why I still pop in VC every now and then is to listen to the OST.

The talk shows are also the best in the series.

8bit

Knows the Score
Good god no, the 80's were fucking rubbish. Wildstyle was good on VC, but that was it.
San Andreas had far better music.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ugh, no. I didn't like most of the soundtrack, to be honest. It DID fit the game, of course, but I'm not a fan of most 80s music.

ram

in terms of licensed soundtrack: yes "vice city" has the best ost. its much better than the ost from "san andreas". rockstar really trashed that, especially for not including sf-ur (best station) in the soundtrack.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vice City's OST craps all over San Andreas, IMO. A rich, diverse selection - enough to convince me to go out and buy some back catalog stuff from certain artists on Radio Espantoso. I still play that particular compilation all the time - great stuff. San Andreas was OK, but it didn't capture the flavour of the 90s in all of the stations.

8bit said:
Good god no, the 80's were fucking rubbish.
WHAT

FiRez

at least you fixed it writing "licensed soundtrack", because isn't even close to be the best soundtrack ever.

Jan

Possible the best non original soundtrack ever .

Shenmue 2 the best original OST ever.Also comes to mind MSR soundtrack .

Much better than GTA: SA.
SA had a lot of "retro" tracks that were not from the 90's at all.
At least VC was spot on when it came to 80's music.

Solid

yeah vice city's music rocked. sand andreas is a major disappointment so far. if it wasn't for the lame music the game would be a 10 for me.

Borys

Banned
FiRez said:
at least you fixed it writing "licensed soundtrack", because isn't even close to be the best soundtrack ever.

I didn't fix anything other than spelling mistakes. The * in the topic is there for a reason. Best licensed, not best overall.

Jan said:
Possible the best non original soundtrack ever .

Shenmue 2 the best original OST ever.Also comes to mind MSR soundtrack .

Danny Elfman's composition for Fable as well as a few other orchestrated mixes were really good too.

It's quite amazing how much a great soundtrack can do for a game; the power of music to elevate mundane settings into epic one's, and monotonous dungeon crawls into energetic forrays into the unknown always gets to me as being quite magical.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just out of curiosity, why do people think Vice is better than SA?

The new X-radio and K-dust stuff puts Vice a close second imo.

Cant wait for GTA4 on Blu-ray, I demand 10gigs of radio.

Tiktaalik

I love the Vice City soundtrack. There's something about going on a crazy killing spree while listening to a cheesy new wave song that thrills me.

Probably 2nd place for best licensed soundtrack would be Wipeout XL for the Playstation one.

1 The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive
2 Fluke - Atom Bomb
3 The Chemical Brothers - Loops of Fury
4 Underworld - Tin There
5 Photek - The Third Sequence
5 Chemical Brothers - Leave Home [underworld mix 1]
6 Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive [Hero Killing]
7 Prodigy - Firestarter [Instrumental]
8 Fluke - U Six
9 Daft Punk - Musique <--- kick ass track
10 Source Direct - 2097
11 Photek - Titan
12 Orbital - Petrol
13 Leftfield - Afro Ride

Ghost said:

With the amount of disc space they'll have available for GTA4 they should put quite a bit of music on it. When they announce the game and the year it'll take place in they should put a request box on the site so they can fill as many song requests as possible.

Vice City has the best licensed soundtrack ever.

I still play it nearly every week, driving around and listening to the awesome music and watching the sunrise in Ocean Beach.

Thank you Rockstar! :)

Yup, it kicked some serious ass. I actually pop in Vice City over San Andreas sometimes just because the soundtrack makes doing crazy shit that much more fun.

lexy

Ghost said:

You’re kidding, right? Do you have any idea how much it is going to cost to license that many songs?

To me, the best GTA soundtrack was GTA3. They really haven't come close to topping anything that was on the radio in GTA3 with their more recent iterations of the series.

J2 Cool

VC's soundtrack was amazing. So many good songs, and it's a period piece. SA was a little weak, and less frequent in great songs. But, I still believe GTA3's talk radio was far and away the best. There were ridiculous conversations in SA and VC but Lazlow was hilarious as host. It was like listening to one of your favorite radio hosts at home. He worked perfectly. Now, Fernando was funny too, but he didn't have the content Lazlow did. SA's talk radio was shit.

loxy said:
You?re kidding, right? Do you have any idea how much it is going to cost to license that many songs?

My prediction: In the Next-Gen GTA the radio will be streamed online and it will be updated regularly with new songs.

J2 Cool said:
There were ridiculous conversations in SA and VC but Lazlow was hilarious as host. It was like listening to one of your favorite radio hosts at home. He worked perfectly. Now, Fernando was funny too, but he didn't have the content Lazlow did. SA's talk radio was shit.

Maurice Chavez and VCPR (Pressing Issues) were great too! Absolutely funny and entertaining.

stewy

J2 Cool said:
VC's soundtrack was amazing. So many good songs, and it's a period piece. SA was a little weak, and less frequent in great songs. But, I still believe GTA3's talk radio was far and away the best. There were ridiculous conversations in SA and VC but Lazlow was hilarious as host. It was like listening to one of your favorite radio hosts at home. He worked perfectly. Now, Fernando was funny too, but he didn't have the content Lazlow did. SA's talk radio was shit.

yes! I was wondering if anyone else was going to mention this. GTA3's talk radio still makes me laugh today. I used to just let the game run on the pause menu with that station selected as background noise.

And the way a lot of segments were connected was hilarious.

Reed and Fernando were great. Fernando was a good DJ in Vice City, too.

I dunno SA had some GLARING MISSING ERAs in it

I mean it had the rap down pat, and I dont even like rap but the snoop, dre and 2pac songs in it I like to listen too

other than that its rusty cage, plush, mother, and welcoe to the jungle

I toss the rest away

thank god I can put ALICE IN CHAINS, NIRVANA, WHITE ZOMBIE in it with xbox/pc

ugh

sangreal

SolidSnakex said:
With the amount of disc space they'll have available for GTA4 they should put quite a bit of music on it. When they announce the game and the year it'll take place in they should put a request box on the site so they can fill as many song requests as possible.

Seeing as how they only used half their available disk space in GTA:SA and less in VC, I wouldn't count on them filling up a BRD with music.

Kuroyume said:
NO. The 80s were the fucking best, and I want a Vice City sequel NOW. BEST Licensed Music OST ever and best GTA EVER.
Totally, fucking, agree. Fever105 was awesome, Espantoso had crazy good tracks from Deodato (Super Strut/Latin Flute) :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
Was anyone else shocked that Welcome to the Jungle wasn't even on the soundtrack, considering it was pretty much the game's anthem?

Top Bottom