• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunmen storm popular 5-star Hotel in Balochistan, Pakistan

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
5yQ0QW5.jpg

It is reported that at least one person is deceased as a result.

Three gunmen have stormed a five-star hotel in the restive Pakistani province of Balochistan, killing at least one person, officials say.

The attack targeted the Zaver Pearl-Continental Hotel in the strategic port city of Gwadar, the centrepiece of a multi-billion-dollar Chinese project.

A hotel spokesman said there were no guests and few staff due to Ramadan.

The separatist Balochistan Liberation Army said it had carried out the attack to target Chinese and other investors.

Militants in Balochistan oppose Chinese investment, saying it is of little benefit to local people.

The gunmen stormed the hotel, usually popular with top government officials and foreign visitors, at around 16:50 local time (11:50 GMT), killing one security guard who tried to stop them at the entrance.

Security forces entered the hotel and took part in a gun battle with the militants.

Due to the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the hotel had no guests and a very limited number of staff, a Zaver Pearl-Continental spokesperson told the BBC.

However, earlier reports said that hotel guests had been evacuated safely.

The attack comes just weeks after gunmen killed 14 people, including 11 military personnel, in the region.

(Source) BBC (~98% of original ) - Uploaded (1 hour ago)
Article Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48238759(sorry this link keeps showing up as a video)

---------

This is something. I must say I am glad this attacker had come on a day when no one was there, above all else. The sub-focus on Chinese influence regarding the hotel is a tad off-putting and unecessary I feel, and I had omitted some detail from the article; still, it is worth the read.

Last edited:
Wasn’t the whole Chinese influence thing mentioned because of it being foreign investment? As it seems this group target that kind of people.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Wasn’t the whole Chinese influence thing mentioned because of it being foreign investment? As it seems this group target that kind of people.

Yeah, I meant in general with the whole Chinese threat/competition thing. I can't help but sometimes feel like there's some hidden narrative in a number of these articles, especially considering the circumstances this time around... probably just paranoia.

Yeah, I meant in general with the whole Chinese threat/competition thing. I can't help but sometimes feel like there's some hidden narrative in a number of these articles, especially considering the circumstances this time around... probably just paranoia.

No it’s probably there. There’s always mentions of Chinese infrastructure in Sri Lanka, Russia, etc. Just probably not in this case?

Top Bottom