• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS - A Hidden Masterpiece! - The History of Beyond Good and Evil.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The mid-2000s were a formative period for Ubisoft. New studios joined its repertoire and bolstered its stature as an international brand. Old studios came into their own with classic series that would define the generation. And series that would come to be classics in the next generation were slowly being cultivated for their future stardom.

Yet to many gamers, nothing defined this era of Ubisoft more than Beyond Good & Evil. The culmination of nearly four years of work at Ubisoft Montpellier to craft the ultimate action-adventure game, Beyond cast players as Jade, an investigative reporter tasked with uncovering a conspiracy that threatens her homeworld’s future, and repelling the machinations of a dastardly alien threat. While parts of its varied design evoked comparisons to Zelda and Ratchet & Clank, the whole of the experience was unlike anything else before it; an epic journey that balanced eccentricity and seriousness with considerable finesse, and proved emotionally affecting like few other games in its genre.

Yet when it came to sales, it was a considerable disappointment, with only a modicum of copies finding their way into people’s hands. And while this wouldn’t stop Ubisoft from producing a sequel, the company would nonetheless go on to spend more than a decade trying to get it off the ground – hardening the game’s fan base beyond all measure.

This is the history of Beyond Good & Evil.

It's pretty cool how they came across the idea for the game by accident. I'll definitely play this. The art style looks good and the gameplay unique and interesting.

Last edited:

Banned
I hear so many people say this, but yet, the hype for beyond good and evil 2 seems to be very small on the intnernet. Any idea why that is?

B:G&E2 has nothing to do with the original... it's a completely different game it seems.
and it's supposedly always online and shit.

it could be very good but as a fan of the first one I was extremely disappointed with the announcement.

sol_bad

I hear so many people say this, but yet, the hype for beyond good and evil 2 seems to be very small on the intnernet. Any idea why that is?

It looks like your typical Ubisoft style open world collectathon and busywork game. The first BGE game is narrative driven and sequel seems not to be from what we've been shown. Also you aren't playing as Jade

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

It looks like your typical Ubisoft style open world collectathon and busywork game. The first BGE game is narrative driven and sequel seems not to be from what we've been shown. Also you aren't playing as Jade
Yeah they ruined any interest I had in the sequel. It requires an internet connection to play.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Loved BG&E at the time. Don't remember much about it, except that it was a great game.

I don't give a fuck about the sequel.

Top Bottom