• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hairstyle Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ok, I'm going to get my hair cut today, but as always I'm in a dilemma over what to ask for. I used to go to your regular barber, from whom I would get the same boring cut every time, regardless of what I asked. Then I decided to go to the more expensive barber at the shopping mall, from whom I got better cuts, but they still seemed to alternate from boring regular crew cuts, to less boring "messier" cuts that always looked the same. I guess my problem with these is that they lacked any real style. I felt I couldn't really ask for a major restyle from a barber, so next stop, I went to a proper salon (it's OK, I'm gay :p). There, they charged my twice as much..for pretty much the same cut. I did think I mentioned a "restyle" somewhere along the way, and I definitely asked for them "to make it look cool" but that seemed to get ignored. I dunno, these cuts were all OK, but they were just average, and lacked style. Should I really really emphasise that I'm looking for a restyle - should I just sit myself down in front of them, admit I don't know where to begin with it in terms of style, and let them know they can do what they want with it as long as it looks good? Should I specifically ask to see a stylist, or would all the people in a salon be stylists anyway? I dunno..I just see guys around town with excellent cuts, and I'm wondering what the bleep they asked for :p

I'm not looking for something that'll mark me out in a crowded room (too much..), but I am looking for something with definite style. Any suggestions as to what I should ask for? I never know what to say when they ask what I want - I'm terrible with hair lengths, etc. etc.

Thank you!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you see someone with a really nice haircut, ask them where they got it done. It may be a little awkward, but they should appreciate the compliment so it wouldn't be so bad.

What color is your hair? For darker or really light hair it can be cool to just buzz it all off to like 1/3 inch or something, though it kinda depends on the shape of your head. It'll either make you look like a little kid, or sleek and professional.

miyuru

I always fall into that dilemma where like, I've seen something I want, but when I have the chance to get it, I don't know what to ask. This doesn't just go for haircuts, but lots of things.

Anyway, you can ask for magazines/catalogues when you go, and find a picture of a cut you like and show the stylist.

KingGondo

Banned
Dice said:
What color is your hair? For darker or really light hair it can be cool to just buzz it all off to like 1/3 inch or something, though it kinda depends on the shape of your head. It'll either make you look like a little kid, or sleek and professional.

IAWTP

If you have longer/ish hair, just cutting it that short would be a stylish statement. It's also really easy to maintain and care for.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, I got it done. I went in, told them I had no idea what I wanted, but I wanted it to have a definite style. 1 hour later, I emerge...with a haircut none-to-removed from the type I used to get for €10 at my local barber. ARRRGGHHH!

When we were talking about what I wanted done, the lady "stylist" basically said that with my type of hair (curly), you don't have too many options. Which flies in the face of everything I have heard (i.e. that you can practicallly do anything with full curly hair, whereas fine straight hair is a nightmare to style). She said it would either look good if I went short, or if I grew it out more and had it wavy. She didn't put any other options on the plate. So I said, ok, we'll go for a no.4 blade back on sides, and just make the top look cool. But I emerged, again, with no definite style i.e. it's just short back and sides with a curly roughed up look on top.

I think she was just trying to fob me off. I've got to try and find a good stylist who actually styles. I know my hair can do better.

Oh, and my hair is a light, browney colour, and it definitely does look better shorter (in terms of colour, looks blonde now). So at least that's one plus.

SFA_AOK

Did you post a thread like this on the old board?

Sounds like you have hair like mine. I have it shorter on the sides and style it spiky/messy on top but after a while, the curls kick in and make it a bit curly. I'd like to grow it out but it just gets thick and a pain to do anything with it, I just can't make it look neat. I went for a couple of months without getting it cut, it felt good to get it chopped off :) I had an interview so it had to be done.

I may give it another go... it's frustrating, my housemate was growing his hair and it looks really good but when I grow it a. it looks shit and b. it doesn't look like it grows much.

Dems da breaks I guess.

Crispy

I have about the same type of hair I think, slightly curly and dark brownish. Right now it's pretty long (about 22 centimeters) and I really like it. If you decide to let it grow you should do just that and don't give up after about six months. At that time it does look like a mess, but let it grow some more and the curls will start to fall in place with each other and make it look good!

effzee

i have similar problems but i have straight hair. i never know what style i should go for...currently i have the spiked up from the front up hair style. what i usually do is just gel the front up with a hair dryer and dont touch the rest so it doesnt even really look like most people have it done nice. my hair is hard to work with so i just leave it to that but now i have had this style, if u can call it that, for like 4 yrs. i want sometihng new but i never know what and how to put it to words. i wish i could grow it out but as soon as my hair gets a bit big it looks really weird and messy so i lose the patience to stick with it.

any suggestions for straight hair people? and if i do go for long hair how do i grow it out...like let it grow out just as it is or get a hair cut designed for the type of hair i want when it grows out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom