• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life YouTuber Ross ‘Accursed Farms’ Scott, is planning a lawsuit against Ubisoft over The Crew’s shutdown

thief183

I don't want to be that guy but the crew has been an online game, if the server gets shut down the game is over, it has always been like this, and everyone should know about this nowdays. when this happens to a single player game I can understand the critics, but this is not the case.

Shakka43

I wish him good luck. Game makers should be forced to patch their games for offline play or P2P play when they plan to shut down games they sold not as subscriptions.

intbal

I like Ross. Good guy.
And if there's ever an "Everybody Loves Raymond" video game, he would be the perfect voice actor.

CeeJay

Its not about supporting every product they made forever, its about not sabotaging them from the start or make very clear how long you'll actually be able to access the game for.
If this case goes ahead it could easily backfire in a big way. What if the court decides in favour of Ubisoft? It would set a precedent that would encourage any publisher to add needless DRM in all single player games. At best Ubi will have to push out a patch to make a really old and pretty shit single game payable at worst we could see this practice in every game. I bet Ubi would be happy to go to court on this one against a group with shoestring lawyers...

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don't know the ins and outs of the law around this but surely it's similar to any other product that has an expected finite lifespan. The law is not going to side with the consumer on this case, a company cannot be expected to support every product they create in perpituity especially if there is no ongoing revenue from that product. This would set a really dangerous precedent rendering a lot of existing business models untenable.

Sure, it would be nice for them to patch the game to be accessible but they are not obligated to as laid out in the terms and conditions that YOU agree to when you start the game. If you don't like the T&Cs you are not forced to buy the product.
While I agree in principle, the issue is that the terms and conditions are not put in front of the customer in advance of purchase, they are presented afterwards on bootup. You can easily get a refund on Steam, but the moment you download the product on PSN, you are not eligible for a refund.

I anticipate the court case will go in favor of Ubisoft, but I wonder if Sony will end up having to change their refund policy to match Xbox or Steam as a consequence, which I think is entirely appropriate.

Jesb

The internet was the downfall for a lot of things in life. May go down as the biggest mistake in human history.

Bojji

I don't know the ins and outs of the law around this but surely it's similar to any other product that has an expected finite lifespan. The law is not going to side with the consumer on this case, a company cannot be expected to support every product they create in perpituity especially if there is no ongoing revenue from that product. This would set a really dangerous precedent rendering a lot of existing business models untenable.

Sure, it would be nice for them to patch the game to be accessible but they are not obligated to as laid out in the terms and conditions that YOU agree to when you start the game. If you don't like the T&Cs you are not forced to buy the product.

Sucking corporate dick?

Corporations are fucking people left and right and people like you are defending them...

I don't want to be that guy but the crew has been an online game, if the server gets shut down the game is over, it has always been like this, and everyone should know about this nowdays. when this happens to a single player game I can understand the critics, but this is not the case.
While the online gameplay was the main focus, there is also a single player campaign that I personally preferred. I also enjoyed just driving around and exploring the map. With the servers being shut down, It would make total sense to disable the online content and leave the single player intact. That's what many other games have done before. So yeah, this is such a case.

CeeJay

Sucking corporate dick?

Corporations are fucking people left and right and people like you are defending them...
The large corporations will be fine, they will absorb the cost and pass it on to consumers in the end, it's the smaller businesses that will suffer and fold due to the extra overheads that a ruling like this could cause. It's not a matter of corp dick sucking it's about being careful what you wish for.

Bojji

The large corporations will be fine, they will absorb the cost and pass it on to consumers in the end, it's the smaller businesses that will suffer and fold due to the extra overheads that a ruling like this could cause. It's not a matter of corp dick sucking it's about being careful what you wish for.

Small firms are already actively being destroyed by big corps, I don't care about them. I care about OUR (as consumers) rights, we can't really defend against multi bilion dollar entities and that's where goverment/law should step in to stop those greedy motherfuckers. That's what (sometimes) EU is doing and forcing giants like Apple to make some pro consumer things for a change.

This thing is essentialy worthless right now:

s-l1600.jpg

Same goes for digital version, don't you think they should?

a: refund this (hard to do with physical)
b: make offline patch

Ubisoft will happily do nothing, someone has to force them.

But the idea is the EULA is AFTER I bought the game and let's say I don't agree with it.after I bought the game and read the EULA...what happens on PSN where there are no refunds? Isn't thatthe definition of a scam?

For every game on listed on PS Store there is section on that game's page: "game and legal info" which lists the URL for the software license agreement. Alternatively, while still on the game's landing page. You can click R3 (Health/Ratings/PrivacyTerms) which will take you to a page that has the software license agreement, PSN terms of service, etc.

FYI, since you did not bother to read the License Agreement before you made the purchase, this is what is says:

BY PURCHASING, DOWNLOADING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, do not purchase, download or use the Software. Please read this entire Agreement, which governs your use of the Software.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Small firms are already actively being destroyed by big corps, I don't care about them. I care about OUR (as consumers) rights, we can't really defend against multi bilion dollar entities and that's where goverment/law should step in to stop those greedy motherfuckers. That's what (sometimes) EU is doing and forcing giants like Apple to make some pro consumer things for a change.

s-l1600.jpg

I get it, but by the same token, this is also currently worthless:

ndPiA5O.jpg

Is the expectation that this should be made playable offline? How would this be accomplished realistically?

Note that I am not trying to defend Ubisoft here, this is just low hanging fruit. There are a flood of online only games that have shut down permanently, and I don’t see how there can be any expectation that they must be changed to accommodate offline play.

I know there’s a wide difference between say, a game like The Division where it is online only, but it is entirely feasible to play it single player from start to finish… and a game like Counterstrike where the nature of the game is multiplayer. , But how would you regulate it through legislation? I mean, something as simple as “what is a JRPG” among gamers can explode into pages and pages of arguments. Can we expect lawmakers to write competent legislation that would be favorable to consumers considering the DMCA still exists?

Just some random thoughts. I don’t think this will go in the direction gamers hope. As I said before, I do hope a peripheral effect occurs where if a game is online only and the developer wants to establish that there can be no expectation of indefinite service, then the EULA and TOS must be presented and agreed upon before the customer can purchase the product.

For every game on listed on PS Store there is section on that game's page: "game and legal info" which lists the URL for the software license agreement. Alternatively, while still on the game's landing page. You can click R3 (Health/Ratings/PrivacyTerms) which will take you to a page that has the software license agreement, PSN terms of service, etc.

FYI, since you did not bother to read the License Agreement before you made the purchase, this is what is says:
The problem with this argument is that if this is expected to hold up in court, then why are there separate TOS and EULAs at the title screen? The store legalize is obscured on purpose, whereas title screen agreements can’t be obscured since they pop in front of you and require direct acknowledgement from the user. Direct acknowledgement from the customer should preempt the purchase in the same manner that occurs on game title screens.

Bojji

I get it, but by the same token, this is also currently worthless:

ndPiA5O.jpg

Is the expectation that this should be made playable offline? How would this be accomplished realistically?

Note that I am not trying to defend Ubisoft here, this is just low hanging fruit. There are a flood of online only games that have shut down permanently, and I don’t see how there can be any expectation that they must be changed to accommodate offline play.

I know there’s a wide difference between say, a game like The Division where it is online only, but it is entirely feasible to play it single player from start to finish… and a game like Counterstrike where the nature of the game is multiplayer. , But how would you regulate it through legislation? I mean, something as simple as “what is a JRPG” among gamers can explode into pages and pages of arguments. Can we expect lawmakers to write competent legislation that would be favorable to consumers considering the DMCA still exists?

Just some random thoughts. I don’t think this will go in the direction gamers hope. As I said before, I do hope a peripheral effect occurs where if a game is online only and the developer wants to establish that there can be no expectation of indefinite service, then the EULA and TOS must be presented and agreed upon before the customer can purchase the product.

The problem with this argument is that if this is expected to hold up in court, then why are there separate TOS and EULAs at the title screen? The store legalize is obscured on purpose, whereas title screen agreements can’t be obscured since they pop in front of you and require direct acknowledgement from the user. Direct acknowledgement from the customer should preempt the purchase in the same manner that occurs on game title screens.

Wildstar is:

7O6H9Gm.jpg

The Crew:

imK4b24.jpg

If game was multiplayer only I don't think people would have problem with it

People finding out what others playing MMOs have been experiencing for a couple decades at least where it's met with a collective shrug outside a few hardcore enthusiasts. Good luck on getting some positive change for the consumers but sadly I think it's just a foregone conclusion at this point.

Things never needed to get this far, there's no logical reason for it unless you work for the corporations involved and your bonus depends on people becoming complicit to this method of content delivery.

I don't understand why we have to do this every time. The "it's fine for now" or "it's not a big deal" attitude never wins in the long run. It's always fine, until suddenly it isn't and theres no going back.
I've always heard about the slippery slope fallacy, but in my personal lifetime I have found it not to be a fallacy, but a reliable trend. Especially in the age of instant, global information.

As for EULA being a disclaimer for this, note that there has been precedent when companies have been ruled against despite their license agreement, due to the general expectation that nobody actually reads the 6million pages of technical jargon and cant be expected to comprehend nor remember any of it. So they cant just use a catch-all excuse "but it was in the agreement that you were supposed to read, sucks for you!" Thats where class action suits have grounds.

I for one would love to boot up The Division games without connecting to the slow ass servers first. I play primarily single player anyway, and would like to continue doing so once their servers get appropriated for some other new trash service.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Wildstar is:

7O6H9Gm.jpg

The Crew:

imK4b24.jpg

If game was multiplayer only I don't think people would have problem with it
Not sure Wikipedia makes for a compelling argument, which I will touch on in a sec.

This is how Ubisoft markets the game, with their opening salvo:

x4RFqNa.jpg

I get what you’re trying to argue, it’s why I brought up The Division, a game I actively play and can be played and completed 100% solo. Same for The Division 2, you can complete the game and its Warlords of New York expansion single-player. Wikipedia lists these Ubisoft titles as strictly multiplayer. That’s factually inaccurate. I have over 1000 hours on The Division 2 and at least 1/3 of it was playing solo. Trust me, I know. It could 100% be a single player offline game with how it is structured. Nevertheless it is online only.

But again, how exactly do you legislate this effectively? You tried to carve out a clear distinction due to Wildstar being an MMO. Final Fantasy XI is a 21 year old MMO whose playerbase has declined to a point that the developers introduced mechanics many years ago called “trusts” that give you AI party members so you can complete content originally designed for six-player parties. Essentially, the entire game can now be played solo. Is Square Enix now obligated to make it offline playable when the game ceases to be profitable due to a nonexistent playerbase?

I just don’t see how this plays out favorably, and lawmakers who are generally uninformed about many aspects of the world around them end up writing sound legislation that clears this all up. Trust me, I would prefer to be able to play The Division offline in the distant future, single-player when the servers inevitably stop being supported.

I bet you didnt even read the License Agreement.

Almost always its people like you who say shit like that aint legal, I know my rights etc. have no idea what they talking about because they didnt do the most basic step of self education and actually READ about the shit they complaining about.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Almost always its people like you who say shit like that aint legal, I know my rights etc. have no idea what they talking about because they didnt do the most basic step of self education and actually READ about the shit they complaining about.
I like how none of this refutes what I said. Your characterization is also hilarious, given that if you’d bothered actually reading my posts in their entirety instead of skimming, some might accuse me of being an Ubisoft shill because I am arguing that Ubisoft will likely win the case, not lose.

But, rage away, I guess.

Bojji

Not sure Wikipedia makes for a compelling argument, which I will touch on in a sec.

This is how Ubisoft markets the game, with their opening salvo:

x4RFqNa.jpg

I get what you’re trying to argue, it’s why I brought up The Division, a game I actively play and can be played and completed 100% solo. Same for The Division 2, you can complete the game and its Warlords of New York expansion single-player. Wikipedia lists these Ubisoft titles as strictly multiplayer. That’s factually inaccurate. I have over 1000 hours on The Division 2 and at least 1/3 of it was playing solo. Trust me, I know. It could 100% be a single player offline game with how it is structured. Nevertheless it is online only.

But again, how exactly do you legislate this effectively? You tried to carve out a clear distinction due to Wildstar being an MMO. Final Fantasy XI is a 21 year old MMO whose playerbase has declined to a point that the developers introduced mechanics many years ago called “trusts” that give you AI party members so you can complete content originally designed for six-player parties. Essentially, the entire game can now be played solo. Is Square Enix now obligated to make it offline playable when the game ceases to be profitable due to a nonexistent playerbase?

I just don’t see how this plays out favorably, and lawmakers who are generally uninformed about many aspects of the world around them end up writing sound legislation that clears this all up. Trust me, I would prefer to be able to play The Division offline in the distant future, single-player when the servers inevitably stop being supported.

I get what you are saying, it all muddy water if they want to do legislation about it. Problem wouldn't be here if game had offline mode from the beginning, if they say "1 player" on a fucking box then why it's required to connect to servers?

Many TOS and EULAs are not really compatible with local laws, I'm not saying it's the case for the Crew but corporations want to take advantage of us.

Three

Good luck getting console vendors to be OK on opening up their systems indirectly via connection to unregulated traffic.
What do you mean clear? Maybe I'm missing something. I think they mean hosting the game on their own servers.

RespawnX

The solution is simple:

1-patch the game to be fully experienced offline, or
2-refund.

Fuck this online crap.

Or simply pay the few grand a year to run the servers for a game you made millions with. It doesn't costs you a lot of money to just let the servers run. What Ubisoft and EA do regularly is just asshole politics to force people into newer games. Patch your games so that peer-to-peer connections get possible. Perhaps this should become a legal requirement.

EruditeHobo

It's still elligible for a lawsuit,because by that point I already paid game for it so if it doesn't exist then it's a scam.That should be on the back of the case or on the starter page of the digital purchase as a warning if they don't want lawsuits.

An argument that is centered around the western canon of video games being preserved or whatever... that I can understand a little more. SOME version of that argument could be compelling, not legally but perhaps emotionally.

But a company isn't obligated to spend money in perpetuity to keep servers up for a decade-old product. Those 10 year old servers going down doesn't constitute a "scam". Pretty sure this exact thing is what EULAs are for, whether when logging into the game itself or the online service used to access the game. Good luck with this lawsuit is going anywhere.

Isn't thatthe definition of a scam?

You weren't sold the ability to play a game as-is upon launch until the end of time... so the answer to your question is a very obvious "no".

Last edited:
A 10 year run, past and compatible current gen, is probably a rather bad example for a bad shutdown. There were probably almost no players anymore, but okay, doing something out of principle makes still sense.

Second thing that lets his thinking appear probably a bit sloppy is comparing it to a physical product. Such comparisons also hardly ever make a good argument for or rather against piracy. It's something else even if it wasn't purchased as a digital copy. Games don't actually run from discs anymore. But forcing the lawmaker to also protect the customer from companies should be equally important as protecting companies from the cheapass pirate customers.

I think the minimum, that any artificially or actually online reliant game should need to do is give a minimum support range and clearly state that there will be no offline service once the support is dropped as a big disclaimer on the box and store page.

A probable far less important title ignored by everyone is Starblood arena. Iirc it even had AI bots and could have been played offline, in theory, Sony just never ordered that team to unlock offline support and since it was VR and unsuccessful it was shutdown very fast, within it's own generation era, and became useless, you could only play the tutorial/training.
Also eg Onrush where online was practically only the lootboxes and associated trophies, besides that everything was more normal offline sp game than anything else. I remember even that played offline the AI or the difficulty had different settings and one particular race was much easier in that way. That's a game that almost did it right but you can't really complete it anymore either, like all the games with mp but empty or closed servers.

Studios should be forced to warn buyers from potential shutdowns, give timeframes, forbid to continue sale within x months before shutdown and generally forced to not make potential digital waste. As I said it's no physical product but nevertheless when it's easily possible to make at least some portion of a game to be used forever it should be required to do so. It might not save any resources which would be a big driver for EU legislation but expiring more or less even on disc, digital goods should just be pro consumer as much as possible without a planned, drm-driven inherent obsolescence.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, if he achieves anything that's cool but I doubt it's possible, every MMORPG and similar live service game that has shut down would have probably been challenged in the past if it was possible (and yes MMOs used to be boxed products too whether they had subscriptions or not).

Also games like Monster Hunter that at best had a separate online portion and the solo game remained offline like Tri, that's still a sizable chunk of the game unavailable any more (and I believe on the PS2 games nothing was available offline but I'm not entirely sure how that worked tbh).

Either way it's obviously for clout and not anyone fighting the good fight for peasant gamers, but sure, no reason to wish them bad over it as if it does work at all it does benefit us. Still I don't see why he chose The Crew over any other online only game, why not make it about any/all of them?

Devs/pubs will probably not have to make their games available for offline play but just end up labeling they're online only and the transaction itself as not being a purchase in some other manner, I mean, some games probably can't just be patched to be offline with actual cloud/server structure.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
I mean, if he achieves anything that's cool but I doubt it's possible, every MMORPG and similar live service game that has shut down would have probably been challenged in the past if it was possible (and yes MMOs used to be boxed products too whether they had subscriptions or not).

Also games like Monster Hunter that at best had a separate online portion and the solo game remained offline like Tri, that's still a sizable chunk of the game unavailable any more (and I believe on the PS2 games nothing was available offline but I'm not entirely sure how that worked tbh).

Either way it's obviously for clout and not anyone fighting the good fight for peasant gamers, but sure, no reason to wish them bad over it as if it does work at all it does benefit us. Still I don't see why he chose The Crew over any other online only game, why not make it about any/all of them?
If you watched the video he makes it clear how his goal is to challenge this sort of thing for all games, not just The Crew.

KaiserBecks

The ruling will be: by purchasing the game you agreed to terms that state the license to use the software could be revoked at any time yadda yadda yadda. What kind of lawyer would take this case?

jackie GIF

jackie chiles ok GIF

Cyberpunkd

The solution is simple:

2-refund.

Fuck this online crap.
No case. You are buying a licence that is granted to you at a sole discretion of the licence owner. Physical and digital makes no difference here.

nkarafo

The solution is simple:

2-refund.

Fuck this online crap.
They don't care.

After they decide a game is not profitable enough anymore, it's better for them if it ceases to exist so you are forced to buy the next thing. And current online/digital stores and DRM systems gives them all the control they want to do as they please. It's going to get worse with streaming too, you can cry all you want about single player patches and late refunds, it's not going to happen because such solutions only benefit the users.

Maybe if users had some control (like they used to have when games didn't have online DRM/dependencies) they would get that kind of value but if they don't why would the publishers care?

MacReady13

s-l1600.jpg

Ubisoft, much like Microsoft, are going down the path of a subscription model where you NEVER own anything and you’ll be happy about it! I’m not too sure what part of this deal people don’t understand but this is shocking for gaming. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, gaming today cannot touch the glory days of gaming from the 360 era and before that, you know- the days you actually OWNED games.

Top Bottom