• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anime changed or have I changed? (Slight spoilers)

Lucumo

I was so happy when I stumbled upon stuff like Kaiji and Detroit Metal City. But finds like these are becoming rare for me :|
ed30139eb0d7269356aff5a59e3284ea10a77718_hq.gif

If there's a "change" I hate these days its the ever increasing LN adaptations that have no ending. It was bad enough when it was just manga adaptations with made up endings, now more and more just stop right when it actually gets going.

petran79

Banned
I think thats why so many people shift from anime to manga.
I mean we get like 3 LN adaptions each season (at least thats how it feels like) and a lot of anime adaptions aimed at teenagers/Otaku, but not really that much Seinen manga adaptions.

Where is a Billy Bat adaption? Blood Alone? Asano Inio stuff? I am a Hero? Vinland Saga? Liar Game (damn, that LA adaption was horrible)? Sprite?

There is so much you could adapt and I get that maybe the demographic for anime is different than the one who reads those manga. Its just a bit sad to see that the Tatami Galaxies, Uchouten Kazokus, Monsters, Kaijis etc. are not that present.

Some manga are very demanding or impossible for a TV adaptation.Good Night Pun Pun, Freesia, Homunculus getting TV adaptations would be awesome. But I dont think any current studio would be up to the task without destroying the original,like it happens with Berserk. They'd need experts thinking far beyond the scope of anime. Viewers as well.Dont see it happening.

Even Jojo proved too much in the long run. Animation sacrifices were evident. Part 5 and afterwards the design gets even more difficult and too detailed for a TV adaptation.
Like Reign the Conqueror style

Theonik

I know nothing about this show, but man what a great shot. I love her cheeky smile.
It's a 12 episode OVA. Episode 1 and the finale are very well animated but many episodes towards the middle have serious production issues. It's kinda notorious for it. The detailed designs posed many challenges too.

I'd especially recommend watching it if you are a D&D fan, as the source material is a game of DnD published in a Japanese enthusiast magazine that then became popular and spawned novels, videogames and two anime adaptations.

The show itself is basically one of the most if not the most influential fantasy anime Japan produced inspiring every fantasy anime and JRPG that came after it, including many direct homages.

Lucumo

It's a 12 episode OVA. Episode 1 and the finale are very well animated but many episodes towards the middle have serious production issues. It's kinda notorious for it. The detailed designs posed many challenges too.

I'd especially recommend watching it if you are a D&D fan, as the source material is a game of DnD published in a Japanese enthusiast magazine that then became popular and spawned novels, videogames and two anime adaptations.

The show itself is basically one of the most if not the most influential fantasy anime Japan produced inspiring every fantasy anime and JRPG that came after it, including many direct homages.
Most of the stuff was already mentioned earlier though. And I disagree with saying that the first episode and the finale are very well animated as it omits the other great scenes, especially some dragon action.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Has Mushishi been mentioned yet?

Also anything by Masaaki Yuasa

The OP mentioned he was mostly looking for action. Let him mature a bit before handing him the most zen show ever made.

Zen show? I'm watching Mushishi for the first time ever and I'm up to episode 20 and I'm bored out of my mind! Yeah it's a great show......for putting you to sleep.

Zen show? I'm watching Mushishi for the first time ever and I'm up to episode 20 and I'm bored out of my mind! Yeah it's a great show......for putting you to sleep.

It's zen because it is a chilled out show that doesn't try to force drama or tension on you. From its soundtrack, to the color pattern, to the design of the characters and pacing, it's a show that is supposed to entertain and relax you.

Anime in general has changed I feel. The production values aren't as high, and the way that stories are being told is contrived. Great, compelling stories are still being told, but a lot of people will be turned off by the form that the story is being told. Someone could suggest a show that touches on beautiful and important themes with great music but as soon as I see a school girl outfit and hear "ONEEE CHAAAN" I immediately think "nah". Ninouh does a good video about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omP7AiC05Y8

Spuck-uk

Banned
Most of the well known anime series is aimed at children/young adults (10-18) OP.

You're just growing up is all, I wou;dn't recomment any of the Jump stuff.

I'd recommend watching something more grown up like Tokyo Godfathers (actually anything by satoshi Kon is great), Stand Alone Complex etc..

Theonik

isamu
OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
(Today, 11:31 AM)

I'm in a slightly similar position as the OP. But, I do realize as a kid of the 70s who ended up befriending one of the original gang of guys who fansubbed stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, and other notables before they came west, I got to experience the cream of the crop early on. Seeing these shows on a big screen, playing from Laser Disc, and subbed from an Amiga as they were released in Japan was amazing at the time.

I guess I was spoiled early on and I'm looking for something fairly modern to watch that I can stream easily. I do love some of the Takahashi classics like Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku since they had heart and humor unlike the mostly soulless productions of Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2. To make it a little easier here is a quick breakdown of my tastes:

Love it list:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Cowboy Bebop
Bubblegum Crisis
Ghost in the Shell SAC

Like it list:

Evangelion
Fushigi Yuugi
Gundam 0083
Samurai Champloo
Tenchi Muyo (The original 2 OVA series only)
One Punch Man

Dislike list:

Dragonball Z
Hunter X Hunter
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Pretty much most of the Shonen Jump anime adaptations

Any recommendations?

petran79

Banned
I'm in a slightly similar position as the OP. But, I do realize as a kid of the 70s who ended up befriending one of the original gang of guys who fansubbed stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, and other notables before they came west, I got to experience the cream of the crop early on. Seeing these shows on a big screen, playing from Laser Disc, and subbed from an Amiga as they were released in Japan was amazing at the time.

I guess I was spoiled early on and I'm looking for something fairly modern to watch that I can stream easily. I do love some of the Takahashi classics like Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku since they had heart and humor unlike the mostly soulless productions of Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2. To make it a little easier here is a quick breakdown of my tastes:

Love it list:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Cowboy Bebop
Bubblegum Crisis
Ghost in the Shell SAC

Like it list:

Evangelion
Fushigi Yuugi
Gundam 0083
Samurai Champloo
One Punch Man

Dislike list:

Dragonball Z
Hunter X Hunter
One Piece
Fairy Tail

Any recommendations?

I too avoid watching new series. Rage of Bahamoot first season was nothing special compared to the original Lodoss. Berserk was a travesty. But there are some good movies coming out once in a while.

I loved the manga of Maison Ikkoku,Ranma and UY.Havent watched the anime yet.Too long for my tastes. Prefer watching 10 different series instead.

Original series I watched and liked this decade are few.
Hyouka,Steins Gate, Kill la Kill, From the New World,Kiznaiver,Little Witch Academis, Penguin Drum. Most time I spend watching or rewatching oldies. I assume people who watch the newer series have seen most of the old stuff,so I have to catch up.

I reached my peak when I watched all WMT series,either dubbed or subbed. After that it was difficult to find anything to match the quality of that narrative,so I focus in scifi and action shows mostly.

isamu

Are you binging it or something?

yeah I binged it. But even if I didn't I know it's just not for me plus the color palette and character designs kinda put me off.

I *DO* have a question for you JoJo fans however....

So like, what's up with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I'm doing some reading about it around the web and I am so confused about the different versions of this show.

Seems like there's the normal JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken, and then we have something called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders? I mean, is this supposed to be the second season of the show? Some places are referring to Stardust Crusaders as "Part 3". If so then what is part two called?

Also it looks like there's also a second season to the SECOND season called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season, and finally there's another one called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai. WTF? Is this supposed to be like the third season or something?

Some one *PLEASE* break this series down for me and tell me which ones specifically you recommend watching, and which ones are actually available from Viz/Crunchyroll. According to MAL all them have finished airing?

Future

In the toonami days I remember being amazed by serialized cartoons. There were barely any serialized live action shows let alone cartoons. And they were like video game stories with some big boss and multiple bosses and shit. It was great

Once that love wore off I started to get annoyed at the actual stories and stopped watching

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
yeah I binged it. But even if I didn't I know it's just not for me plus the color palette and character designs kinda put me off.

So like, what's up with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I'm doing some reading about it around the web and I am so confused about the different versions of this show.

Seems like there's the normal JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken, and then we have something called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders? I mean, is this supposed to be the second season of the show? Some places are referring to Stardust Crusaders as "Part 3". If so then what is part two called?

Also it looks like there's also a second season to the SECOND season called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season, and finally there's another one called JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai. WTF? Is this supposed to be like the third season or something?

Some one *PLEASE* break this series down for me and tell me which ones specifically you recommend watching, and which ones are actually available from Viz/Crunchyroll. According to MAL all them have finished airing?

Jojo started as a manga in the 80's and has been running ever since. There are 8 parts of the manga and there have been multiple anime adaptations since the start. The latest version has adapted the first four parts.

Rue

JoJo is split up into "parts", think of them as arcs in normal manga/anime. For Jojo, each part revolves around a different set of characters aside from a few recurring from each previous part. In every part, the main titular character is a "Jojo" and each subsequent part takes place years after the last.

You should start from the beginning and go from there, which is the original JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken. To break it down easier ;

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: This includes part 1 Phantom Blood (episodes 1-9) and Part 2 Battle Tendency (10 onward).

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders is part 3 with Stardust Crusaders Season 2 being the other half of part 3.

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai is part 4.

It's all completely worth watching, I don't recommend skipping any of it.

All of it is on crunchyroll!

Love it list:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Cowboy Bebop
Bubblegum Crisis
Ghost in the Shell SAC

Like it list:

Evangelion
Fushigi Yuugi
Gundam 0083
Samurai Champloo
One Punch Man

Dislike list:

Dragonball Z
Hunter X Hunter
One Piece
Fairy Tail

Any recommendations?

As a kid who was grabbing fansubs of Maison Ikkoku in high school and had a huge fall off in his anime consumption over the years I'd probably recommend the following:

kara-no-kyoukai-movie1_001_12810.png

Kara no Kyoukai: It's a 7 movie series that not only looks and sounds amazing, but it also has a great story, and feels different from most stuff out there. It's a horror action series, and I think it was the studio ufotable's breakout work,

Black-lagoon-dvd-ext3.jpg

Black Lagoon: It's a crazy action show that follows a Japanese salaryman who ends up running in to a group of pirates in the city of Roanapur, Thailand. It's got great character work, amazing action, and is a love letter to 90s action movies and culture. One of my personal favorites.

baccano.png

Baccano: It's the 1930s, and Mafia groups fight for supremacy in American cities. Young Firo joins the secretive Camorra group; a meek street boy, Jacuzzi, finds himself the leader of a gang of thugs; an alchemist is producing a liquor of immortality, and a homunculus tries to retrieve it; and upbeat thieves Isaac and Miria head to New York after failing to strike gold in California. They ride the novel train, the Flying Pussyfoot, across the continent. However they find themselves embroiled in a ruckus caused by gangs, terrorists, serial killers, and others as multiple stories intertwine and unfold on this fateful ride. All are haunted and hunted by the legendary Rail Tracer...

Well, that's the official description. I'll just add that the series is insane in the best possible way, with fun characters, amazing music, and is a hell of a ride. But if you need to be convinced just watch the opening.

Anyhow I tried to pick stuff that deviated from the norm, and stuck out to me, some of these aren't exactly fresh, but they are a lot newer than the stuff on your list.

isamu

JoJo is split up into "parts", think of them as arcs in normal manga/anime. For Jojo, each part revolves around a different set of characters aside from a few recurring from each previous part. In every part, the main titular character is a "Jojo" and each subsequent part takes place years after the last.

You should start from the beginning and go from there, which is the original JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken. To break it down easier ;

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: This includes part 1 Phantom Blood (episodes 1-9) and Part 2 Battle Tendency (10 onward).

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders is part 3 with Stardust Crusaders Season 2 being the other half of part 3.

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai is part 4.

It's all completely worth watching, I don't recommend skipping any of it.

All of it is on crunchyroll!

Ahhhhh gotcha! Thank you very much Rue, extremely helpful man :)

silva1991

Anime became boring after Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood finished. The only exceptions are AoT and Fate/Zero and maybe Jojo.

Not much greatness comes out of this industry anymore.

don't even get me started on how bad artstyle and colors are nowadays too.

petran79

Banned
Ahhhhh gotcha! Thank you very much Rue, extremely helpful man :)

There is also an old obscure movie of part 1 and 2 older OVA of part 3. Both combined are 13 episodes.
The 1993 OVA has better animation than the new Stardust Crusaders. It covers episodes 7-13. It doesnt cover all manga chapters like TV part 3.But this is probably the best Jojo adaptation you'll watch.They even add their own action scenes that are much better than the manga,like the battle in the dessert. Animation is top notch.

The 2000 OVA (1-6) takes place earlier than the 1993 one. It wasnt that good imo. Animation is still better than the TV series.

Quasar

I mean most of your examples of what you have watched are shouen...for one Anime hasn't changed your tastes just never got better.

Sounds like it. Probably should try to broaden the range of shows you try. Not that I can talk as I think Hollywood has turned to shit because I generally dislike supers and that seems like the main thing that's pushed all the time.

Top Bottom