• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there been any official reason why we have yet to see PSV?

I'm talking about Phantasy Star V. I'm just curious if SEGA has made any official comment as to why we haven't had any truely new PS games since IV.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's
segaob4.jpg

what more reason do you need?

if yakuza and psu are as good as i hope they are, i'm ready to declare SEGA COMEBACK 2006

ethelred

They considered Phantasy Star IV the culmination of the series (hence, "End of the Millenium"), as they finished telling the story they started to tell in the first game.

PSO only came about because it was different and online. But "this is the end" is what Sega has said ever since PSIV was first made.

Shame, though -- I'd love to see a genuine Phantasy Star 5, with gameplay, story, and look similar to the first four. Put it in a different solar system (ala PSO), tell a different story, but keep what made the original games so great. Do a new saga.

Regardless, it won't happen.

ethelred

LiveFromKyoto said:
Phantasy Star Universe has a fully-fledged single player quest. What's the difference?

Totally different gameplay, totally different style of game.

I'm hoping for PSU to be great, too, but it's really not the same as the older Phantasy Star titles and I'd think it'd be easily understood why some people might prefer a new game more along those lines, too.

Top Bottom