• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever tried meditation?

What's your relationship to the practice of meditation?

• I've never tried it. Sounds foofy to me.

• I've never tried it. I'm open to it though.

• I've tried it. Didn't stick.

• Regular meditation is a part of my life.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I'd like to know if my brothers and sisters of NeoGAF have any experience with the practice of meditation. Here is where you share your experience.

Go_Ly_Dow

Its wonderful, but you have to stick with it and find what kind works for you.

My best meditative experiences have been with guided groups at like buddhist centres. Some of these were like 7-10 years ago, but the experience still sticks with me today. The advice and process from that has helped me do it at home and in quiet spots outside too.

As a first timer, I'd recommend finding out if there are any places near where you live where you could join a group guided meditation.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I do not believe in meditation myself, but I do understand that there are people out there that genuinely believe it helps them.

That is enough for me. Anything that people need to use to get themselves through the tortures of life to stay sane is okay with me. (Within reason obviously)

GeekyDad

As a practice, yes. In the 70s, organized meditation seemed to be a thing. I remember my mother took me on a regular basis to a Unitarian thing or something where we would first practice yoga, then sit in meditation for some time (seemed like forever). After a few weeks, I started begging to go back to church.

That being said, yeah, later on in my life, when living alone, I would often take time, whenever I felt like it, to just...be.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yes, I studied Buddhism for 5 years. It taught me many useful things. Ultimately I couldn't buy into the cosmology and all that, but many concepts and practices from it are beneficial.

I think mindful activity is more important and more valuable than meditation.
The activity of mindfulness is what meditation is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm going to give this a shot for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do you actually sit alone in a room, legs crossed indian style? Do you set a timer on your phone? What does the practice actually look like?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm going to give this a shot for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do you actually sit alone in a room, legs crossed indian style? Do you set a timer on your phone? What does the practice actually look like?
Quiet spot free of active distractions is all you need. Take deep, slow breaths, relax, observe yourself and your thoughts as they flow in. By letting go you can become less of a slave to your own thoughts and reactions and anxieties, work toward a more proactive and deliberate headspace.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Sort of. It never worked for me. I tried breathing techniques sometimes as well. I'm a very restless and very anxious person so it's hard for me to relax in any kind of manner.

Nobody_Important

I don't believe that it on its own is any kind of miracle solution to major problems. It of course allows people to better focus their thoughts and is good for problem solving, but anything beyond that I think it is a glorified placebo. People want it to be the solution to their specific problem and therefore believe that it grants them what they want. Especially when it comes to managing stress or anxiety. It acts as release valve for mental stress/anxiety sure, but that is not unique to meditation. In the same way that prayer and worship will alleviate mental stress in a religious person meditation does the same for others.

Meditation is just another outlet for a person to try and manage the chaos that is life. Some people read books, some people go to church, some people drink, some people snort coke out of belly buttons, etc etc. Its all the same in the end. Its a coping mechanism that allows people to get through the day. Which is why I have no problem in people doing it. When they become advocates and try to convince me that its the better way though I get annoyed.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I think smoking weed and playing something like Gran Turismo has the same healing effect on me.

Nobody_Important

I think smoking weed and playing something like Gran Turismo has the same healing effect on me.
768517.jpg

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't believe that it on its own is any kind of miracle solution to major problems. It of course allows people to better focus their thoughts and is good for problem solving, but anything beyond that I think it is a glorified placebo. People want it to be the solution to their specific problem and therefore believe that it grants them what they want. Especially when it comes to managing stress or anxiety. It acts as release valve for mental stress/anxiety sure, but that is not unique to meditation. In the same way that prayer and worship will alleviate mental stress in a religious person meditation does the same for others.

Meditation is just another outlet for a person to try and manage the chaos that is life. Some people read books, some people go to church, some people drink, some people snort coke out of belly buttons, etc etc. Its all the same in the end. Its a coping mechanism that allows people to get through the day. Which is why I have no problem in people doing it. When they become advocates and try to convince me that its the better way though I get annoyed.

Just because some people have used it as a crutch or get out of jail free card from the stressors in their life doesn't mean it's just a coping mechanism or a placebo. Meditation has very real, very researched, physiological benefits beyond the obvious psychological ones. It's just like exercising in that meditation is taking advantage of a mechanism of our physiology in order to achieve very real and measurable positive results. It's that simple. You mentioned reading and that actually IS comparable in that reading puts you in a similar state as meditation for similar reasons.

Comparing drinking alcohol and snorting coke to meditation is intellectually dishonest. There's being skeptical and then there's being obtuse.

Nobody_Important

Just because some people have used it as a crutch or get out of jail free card from the stressors in their life doesn't mean it's just a coping mechanism or a placebo. Meditation has very real, very researched, physiological benefits beyond the obvious psychological ones. It's just like exercising in that meditation is taking advantage of a mechanism of our physiology in order to achieve very real and measurable positive results. It's that simple. You mentioned reading and that actually IS comparable in that reading puts you in a similar state as meditation for similar reasons.

Comparing drinking alcohol and snorting coke to meditation is intellectually dishonest. There's being skeptical and then there's being obtuse.
Agree to disagree.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I meditate from time to time. Hard to say if there has been any long term benefit, but short term, I always feel better. Refreshed.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Quiet spot free of active distractions is all you need. Take deep, slow breaths, relax, observe yourself and your thoughts as they flow in. By letting go you can become less of a slave to your own thoughts and reactions and anxieties, work toward a more proactive and deliberate headspace.

Do you set a timer on your phone or do you just know when you're good to go? I've been pretty cognizant lately of how often exterior voices (radio, podcasts, TV etc...) are guiding my thoughts so this might be a worthwhile experience.

If anyone else want's to join in ( Nobody_Important Nobody_Important )...I'm trying it for 2 weeks (3rd - 17th) and I'll report back here at the end of it. I'll let all the skeptics know if it's foofy or not.

NikuNashi

Mindfulness was really helpful for me when things got crazy. A couple of times a day for 10 minutes can calm your thoughts. If anyone is suffering anxiety or stress give some guided meditation a go, nothing to lose.

Some other things I did to calm anxiety.
Stopped reading internet forums and stopped replying in negative comments.
Started to read paperback books on the bus / train everyday to work rather than looking at phone.

This helped me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom