• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI in wall help

ABeezy1388

Hey all,

Not sure if this would be the right spot for this... please move if need be. I am going to try my best to describe my issue and see if anyone else has a set up like this or know of a possible fix. Its driving me nuts and bums me out. I apologize ahead of time for the long post.

I recently built a new home and in my living room I elected to put in above the fire place a standard wall plug along with two HDMI ports. Then on a different wall there are two other HDMI ports. What this essentially is, is a set of HDMI's (two) ran along inside the wall that acts as a bride/connector for lack of better words. So for simplicity sake lets call the different wall "B" and the fireplace wall "A". On wall "B" I have My Comcast cable box plugged into the HDMI one spot and then on wall "A" on the same HDMI one spot I have another HDMI cable coming off and into my Samsung KS8000 "all connect" box in HDMI port 1. All is good, the bridge works as intended. I have audio/video, can watch tv everything is good to go. Here is where my issue comes in. On the same wall "B" in HDMI port 2 I have my Xbox One S (Mainly used for the 4K player, the X is upstairs). Then again on Wall "A" I have another HDMI cable coming out of port 2 and into port 2 on my all connect box. I switch inputs on the KS8000 to input 2 and fire up the Xbox... no audio, no video. I get the standard message of no signal/device connected. Now I have trouble shoot and tried it in port 1, different cables, different power outlets etc. I have also just tried plugging the Xbox straight into the all connect box without using the behind the wall bridge and it works fine. So I came to the conclusion the Xbox doesn't seem to like the bridge. Anyone have any knowledge with something similar or something I could do to potentially make it work? I don't get why it works fine with Comcast but Xbox is so feisty. I also tried my PS4 Pro and that actually got a signal for a minute or so but flickered in and out like it was having a seizure.

So it looks like my gaming systems for whatever reason don't like this. But if Comcast works fine why don't they? They all require the same set up... HDMI cable to TV, there just is this one extra link in between. Anyone have any suggestions or have a similar set up with a resolution? Or am I just SOL here? Also if need be I can draw a quick diagram if it'll explain my situation better.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Hi. HDMI does suffer signal degradation and not every cable is the same.

With 4K, HDR and audio formats like Atmos it is way more evident. Cables (long or short) that work fine for standard could have issues when trying to reproduce high bandwith signals such as 4K.

If your xbox connected straight to the TV works fine but it doesn't work through the bridge, most likely this is your issue.

A couple solutions that you can try:

- Switch up to better cables (high speed rated for 3D and 4K, they are not much more expensive than regular cables (and I'm not talking about the $100 cables that Best Buy and the likes are trying to push)
- Include an HDMI signal repeater in the middle of the cable with the longest distance (I'm guessing it's the one behind the wall). Make sure you check reviews for the repeater and you can verify that it works well for this kind of signal. There is a lot of shoddy repeaters in the market.

Other than that there is not much to do. A lot of setups are struggling because of this. I got a 4K TV last December and can't use it with a 4K Signal from my PC because the cable is too long. I'm rearranging everything in order to be able to use a shorter cable and in the meantime I got to use 1080P.

Good luck!

ABeezy1388

A couple solutions that you can try:

- Switch up to better cables (high speed rated for 3D and 4K, they are not much more expensive than regular cables (and I'm not talking about the $100 cables that Best Buy and the likes are trying to push)
- Include an HDMI signal repeater in the middle of the cable with the longest distance (I'm guessing it's the one behind the wall). Make sure you check reviews for the repeater and you can verify that it works well for this kind of signal. There is a lot of shoddy repeaters in the market.

When you sugges switching up the cables... are we talking the "bridge cable" behind the wall? Or the two that plug into both HMDI ports, so essentially from Xbox to the wall, and then the wall to the tv?

I don't have much knowledge on HDMI signal repeaters, if I were to try this, where would I be putting this? The longest cable like you mentioned is for sure the one behind the wall. My issue here would be that would require tearing out drywall which I really want to avoid doing.

Side note - I wonder if the actual HDMI plug/connection in the wall is maybe low quality? I would say no since it works fine with the Comcast box but this is just super frustrating.

JP

Have you used "in-wall" HDMI cables?

Although digital is digital there can be extra strain on longer cables and particularly on the connectors of lesser cables. That may be the issue that you're having.

A.Romero

When you sugges switching up the cables... are we talking the "bridge cable" behind the wall? Or the two that plug into both HMDI ports, so essentially from Xbox to the wall, and then the wall to the tv?

I don't have much knowledge on HDMI signal repeaters, if I were to try this, where would I be putting this? The longest cable like you mentioned is for sure the one behind the wall. My issue here would be that would require tearing out drywall which I really want to avoid doing.

Side note - I wonder if the actual HDMI plug/connection in the wall is maybe low quality? I would say no since it works fine with the Comcast box but this is just super frustrating.

I'd suggest switching all the cables but specially the longest one would be the most affected by signal degradation.

Regarding the repeater it would be the one behind the wall. I'm afraid there is no going around this if you want to keep your cabling behind the wall.

You can try the cables first and the repeater second. There are some 20 m cables that claim to be able to support 4K resolution but it would be best if you can check reviews of the specific cable and length first and try to purchase from a place that can take a return easily in case it doesn't work.

ABeezy1388

Have you used "in-wall" HDMI cables?

Although digital is digital there can be extra strain on longer cables and particularly on the connectors of lesser cables. That may be the issue that you're having.

You know what, I am not sure honestly. Which is my own fault. When they built the house I should of paid more attention to what they did, but I never did this before so was unsure of the potential issues. I would have to take the face plate off the wall and check whats on the other side of the HDMI port thats in the wall, if its another HDMI or what. Looking at this link:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...2537501410&VEN3=106903719143749552#polaris-pd

It looks like the use Ethernet? Not sure how that works, its kind of beyond my HDMI knowledge.

ABeezy1388

I'd suggest switching all the cables but specially the longest one would be the most affected by signal degradation.

Regarding the repeater it would be the one behind the wall. I'm afraid there is no going around this if you want to keep your cabling behind the wall.

You can try the cables first and the repeater second. There are some 20 m cables that claim to be able to support 4K resolution but it would be best if you can check reviews of the specific cable and length first and try to purchase from a place that can take a return easily in case it doesn't work.

So essentially you're saying the cables that the builder installed behind the wall aren't of good quality for the Xbox to display on my tv? For my Comcast cable that works for instance, I don't notice any degradation in image quality. Just baffles me the Xbox doesn't even display at all...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have an in wall that gave me issues with hdr/4k bandwidth, replaced all the external cables with good ones from momoprice and added the $30 repeater and 99% it's fine now. (The odd random dropout I can live with vs ripping out cable or moving everything out of AV closet)

Corrik

Hey all,

Not sure if this would be the right spot for this... please move if need be. I am going to try my best to describe my issue and see if anyone else has a set up like this or know of a possible fix. Its driving me nuts and bums me out. I apologize ahead of time for the long post.

I recently built a new home and in my living room I elected to put in above the fire place a standard wall plug along with two HDMI ports. Then on a different wall there are two other HDMI ports. What this essentially is, is a set of HDMI's (two) ran along inside the wall that acts as a bride/connector for lack of better words. So for simplicity sake lets call the different wall "B" and the fireplace wall "A". On wall "B" I have My Comcast cable box plugged into the HDMI one spot and then on wall "A" on the same HDMI one spot I have another HDMI cable coming off and into my Samsung KS8000 "all connect" box in HDMI port 1. All is good, the bridge works as intended. I have audio/video, can watch tv everything is good to go. Here is where my issue comes in. On the same wall "B" in HDMI port 2 I have my Xbox One S (Mainly used for the 4K player, the X is upstairs). Then again on Wall "A" I have another HDMI cable coming out of port 2 and into port 2 on my all connect box. I switch inputs on the KS8000 to input 2 and fire up the Xbox... no audio, no video. I get the standard message of no signal/device connected. Now I have trouble shoot and tried it in port 1, different cables, different power outlets etc. I have also just tried plugging the Xbox straight into the all connect box without using the behind the wall bridge and it works fine. So I came to the conclusion the Xbox doesn't seem to like the bridge. Anyone have any knowledge with something similar or something I could do to potentially make it work? I don't get why it works fine with Comcast but Xbox is so feisty. I also tried my PS4 Pro and that actually got a signal for a minute or so but flickered in and out like it was having a seizure.

So it looks like my gaming systems for whatever reason don't like this. But if Comcast works fine why don't they? They all require the same set up... HDMI cable to TV, there just is this one extra link in between. Anyone have any suggestions or have a similar set up with a resolution? Or am I just SOL here? Also if need be I can draw a quick diagram if it'll explain my situation better.
If your picture is flickering with a HDMI cable, it is likely an older cable and can't handle the load. No picture or audio at all suggests a bunk HDMI cable. A newer HDMI cable should fix the issue. Did they not put new HDMI cables in? Also, the longer the cable the more signal it can possibly lose.

Toe-Knee

So essentially you're saying the cables that the builder installed behind the wall aren't of good quality for the Xbox to display on my tv? For my Comcast cable that works for instance, I don't notice any degradation in image quality. Just baffles me the Xbox doesn't even display at all...

Have you tried switching the Xbox to 1080p whilst plugged directly in to the TV then trying it through the wall connectors?

This will tell you if the cable in the wall isn't good enough.

I'm gonna guess the Comcast box outputs 1080p signal.

THE DUCK

ProductQty. Price Total 15650Blackbird 4K Pro HDMI 2.0 Repeater 4K@60Hz YUV 4:4:41$13.99$13.99
15428Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 6ft Black2$4.09$8.18 15427Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 3ft Black2$3.79$7.58

Ok maybe the repeater was $14.....

A.Romero

Yes because the bandwith needed by the Comcast device might be lower than what the Xbox needs, maybe the Comcast box is displaying 1080P or something else lower than 4K.

This is just a theory, of course. I personally had that experience with my PC: At 1080P everything works perfectly, no dropouts, atmos audio, etc. When switching to 4K everything goes to shit: there is really bad dithering, choppy audio, dropouts, etc.

This is with a 15m high speed rated cable from Amazon but not rated for 4K.

ProductQty. Price Total 15650Blackbird 4K Pro HDMI 2.0 Repeater 4K@60Hz YUV 4:4:41$13.99$13.99
15428Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 6ft Black2$4.09$8.18 15427Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 3ft Black2$3.79$7.58

Ok maybe the repeater was $14.....

Is this from monoprice?

ABeezy1388

I have an in wall that gave me issues with hdr/4k bandwidth, replaced all the external cables with good ones from momoprice and added the $30 repeater and 99% it's fine now. (The odd random dropout I can live with vs ripping out cable or moving everything out of AV closet)

So where does the repeater go? Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I never had to purchase/research/use anything like that before. From what I understand from A.Romero's posts is that the repeater goes in the cabling that is wired behind the wall? If so that is bad news.

ABeezy1388

If your picture is flickering with a HDMI cable, it is likely an older cable and can't handle the load. No picture or audio at all suggests a bunk HDMI cable. A newer HDMI cable should fix the issue. Did they not put new HDMI cables in? Also, the longer the cable the more signal it can possibly lose.

The Xbox didn't even get a signal at all, tried the PS4 Pro and it flickered for a few minutes with signal then gone, repeat. I know its not a shoddy cable because I tired Comcast on both ports in the wall, 1 and 2 and it works fine. I am trying to look through all the pictures on my phone to see if I have any of the HDMI cables installed pre-drywall. I would assume they used new up to date HDMI cables. Otherwise WTF?!

ABeezy1388

Have you tried switching the Xbox to 1080p whilst plugged directly in to the TV then trying it through the wall connectors?

This will tell you if the cable in the wall isn't good enough.

I'm gonna guess the Comcast box outputs 1080p signal.

This is actually a good idea... Comcast is 1080P yes, they don't offer 4K broadcast television (at least not in my area in Michigan). I will switch it to 1080P on the Xbox and see if I get a signal then like you mention the cable in the wall isn't good enough. Then if that is the case only way to correct that would be to change the in wall cable? Or would high end cables on both ends of the "bridge" correct it? So essentially it would be 4K cable from Xbox to wall (bridge cable whatever it is) then 4K cable from wall to tv...

ABeezy1388

Yes because the bandwith needed by the Comcast device might be lower than what the Xbox needs, maybe the Comcast box is displaying 1080P or something else lower than 4K.

This is just a theory, of course. I personally had that experience with my PC: At 1080P everything works perfectly, no dropouts, atmos audio, etc. When switching to 4K everything goes to shit: there is really bad dithering, choppy audio, dropouts, etc.

This is with a 15m high speed rated cable from Amazon but not rated for 4K.

Is this from monoprice?

Yes Comcast puts out 1080p, they don't offer 4K content, at least not in Michigan. As mentioned by Toe-Knee I am going to switch the Xbox to 1080p output see if that does anything. I really hope I can somehow fix this issue without having to do anything behind the wall. Ripping up a brand new build home would be a pain in the rear. :(

Toe-Knee

This is actually a good idea... Comcast is 1080P yes, they don't offer 4K broadcast television (at least not in my area in Michigan). I will switch it to 1080P on the Xbox and see if I get a signal then like you mention the cable in the wall isn't good enough. Then if that is the case only way to correct that would be to change the in wall cable? Or would high end cables on both ends of the "bridge" correct it? So essentially it would be 4K cable from Xbox to wall (bridge cable whatever it is) then 4K cable from wall to tv...

I think you might need to replace them all unless the repeater does the trick.

I had trouble just using a splitter of any of the cables were over 1m the amazon 90cm ones were fine though.

I've never used a repeater though so I can't help on that side.

ABeezy1388

I think you might need to replace them all unless the repeater does the trick.

I had trouble just using a splitter of any of the cables were over 1m the amazon 90cm ones were fine though.

I've never used a repeater though so I can't help on that side.

The cables that I have should be good enough, because they work if I use them directly to the TV, and have never had issues. either use the ones that came with the system itself or I have Amazon basics, which to my knowledge allow for 4K. here is link the exact ones I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SP4W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So I think the issue lies within the cable that is in the wall. I know you said you cannot help on that side, but if a repeater will do the trick I'd like to try that, I just have no idea where that is supposed to go?

You can also try switching PS4Pro to output into YUV 420 format which would reduce bandwidth required since iirc it defaults into 4:4:4 chroma when connected to my KS7000

Corrik

The Xbox didn't even get a signal at all, tried the PS4 Pro and it flickered for a few minutes with signal then gone, repeat. I know its not a shoddy cable because I tired Comcast on both ports in the wall, 1 and 2 and it works fine. I am trying to look through all the pictures on my phone to see if I have any of the HDMI cables installed pre-drywall. I would assume they used new up to date HDMI cables. Otherwise WTF?!
The Comcast working on it means nothing. I have a ks8000. My PS4 kept flickering on it. In and out black screens. My dish box would work perfectly on it with the same cord. However, the signal being transferred was different. Hdmi cables a few years ago started carrying a higher signal rate. Buying a new HDMI cable completely fixed the issue. Now my ks8000 does not flicker at all.

ABeezy1388

The Comcast working on it means nothing. I have a ks8000. My PS4 kept flickering on it. In and out black screens. My dish box would work perfectly on it with the same cord. However, the signal being transferred was different. Hdmi cables a few years ago started carrying a higher signal rate. Buying a new HDMI cable completely fixed the issue. Now my ks8000 does not flicker at all.

Prior to moving to this house the PS4 Xbox Comcast Pc anything I attached to the KS8000 worked with no issues. So I’m trying to narrow the problem down, so since Comcast works and the others don’t it may be an issue with the in wall hdmi cable bridge. Once I’m home I’m going to change the settings from 4K to 1080p on the Xbox and PS4 and see what happens.

Toe-Knee

The cables that I have should be good enough, because they work if I use them directly to the TV, and have never had issues. either use the ones that came with the system itself or I have Amazon basics, which to my knowledge allow for 4K. here is link the exact ones I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SP4W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So I think the issue lies within the cable that is in the wall. I know you said you cannot help on that side, but if a repeater will do the trick I'd like to try that, I just have no idea where that is supposed to go?
The repeater is the bit I'm not sure about. I can't see a reason why it needs to be behind the wall connector. Just between that and the good cable I guess but that's all it is just a guess having never used one.

I can't see it making a difference which side of the adapter plate it's on though.

If they're cheap enough it can't hurt to get one and just experiment to see what works.

Toe-Knee

The repeater is the bit I'm not sure about. I can't see a reason why it needs to be behind the wall connector. Just between that and the good cable I guess but that's all it is just a guess having never used one.

I can't see it making a difference which side of the adapter plate it's on though.

If they're cheap enough it can't hurt to get one and just experiment to see what works.

Edit; just had a thought. Can you contact the builders? There's a good chance that they installed the wires in a conduit which would make it fairly easy to change the cables if they did. Just tie some string to the old cable at one end and also to the new one then start pulling from the other end and it will go straight through. If it's not in a conduit that's trickier.

Corrik

Prior to moving to this house the PS4 Xbox Comcast Pc anything I attached to the KS8000 worked with no issues. So I’m trying to narrow the problem down, so since Comcast works and the others don’t it may be an issue with the in wall hdmi cable bridge. Once I’m home I’m going to change the settings from 4K to 1080p on the Xbox and PS4 and see what happens.
That is what we are telling you. The problem is the HDMI cords that are in the wall.

If the same cords you used previously were the ones in the wall, you would not have any issues.

Only other potential problem that could be there besides the actual cords themselves would be the length of the cords and you are losing too much in the process. I doubt your cords are that long though.

J-Rod

You know what, I am not sure honestly. Which is my own fault. When they built the house I should of paid more attention to what they did, but I never did this before so was unsure of the potential issues. I would have to take the face plate off the wall and check whats on the other side of the HDMI port thats in the wall, if its another HDMI or what. Looking at this link:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...2537501410&VEN3=106903719143749552#polaris-pd

It looks like the use Ethernet? Not sure how that works, its kind of beyond my HDMI knowledge.

If this is the specific product they are using then it only supports HDMI v1.3 and 1080p. Even if not, most HDMI over Cat extenders don't support anything higher than that. I'm pretty certain lowering or resetting the console's resolution will at least get it to work although not at max resolution.

There are some cat extenders that support 4k/UHD and are HDCP 2.2 compliant, so you could still do it with the wiring already in your house assuming it is cat 5e/6. May not can get 4k 4:4:4 6 60Hz support ,but that is probably overkill anyway.

If you are going to replace the cabling and its through a conduit, I'd say go fiber. It can deliver whatever UHD has now.

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Well for starts I took the Xbox on a different tv. Changed from 4K resolution to 1080. Brought back down to the living room and plugged it back in to the hdmi wall port and it’s showing audio and video now. So I am going to change the settings on the Xbox back to 4K while connected to this tv and see if the audio and video disappears.

ABeezy1388

Yup. Changed to 4K and installing it disappeared. So the the issue is with the HDMI that is in the wall. I’m going to contact the sales manager for the building company and complain. They would NOT let me do any of my own wiring or cabling until the closing and keys in hand...which is b.s. ,and obviously a pain in the rear once drywall is up. And they over charge for EVERYTHING. So I’m contacting them...overpayed to have this and can’t even use 4K settings? Unbelievable.

So I guess the issue is resolved on what’s causing this. We will see if they do anything about it. Doubt it...so that then doesn’t leave me many options to fix it...

ABeezy1388

So it went straight in without any conduit?

Yes, so the issue is whatever type of hdmi they ran within the wall. It’s not “good enough” for lack of better terms to handle the 4K resolution of the PS4 Pro or Xbox One. In 1080p resolution I get audio and video. I am so pissed off now. Lol

A.Romero

Yes, so the issue is whatever type of hdmi they ran within the wall. It’s not “good enough” for lack of better terms to handle the 4K resolution of the PS4 Pro or Xbox One. In 1080p resolution I get audio and video. I am so pissed off now. Lol

I hope you get everything sorted out. Good luck!

I suggested the repeater on the cable behind the wall because I'm guessing that's the longest one so most likely that's where the signal is having issues.

THE DUCK

I'm not sure I would jump on the builders without trying alternatives.......I have a high quality cable and it's really the length that I think has issues at 4k with hdr bandwidth, thus the booster.
I've heard of people having issues with 16ft let alone 25 or more......

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I hope you get everything sorted out. Good luck!

I suggested the repeater on the cable behind the wall because I'm guessing that's the longest one so most likely that's where the signal is having issues.
Would it not have the same effect at the junction just before the wall?

No clue having never used one myself.

ABeezy1388

So if I try a repeater would that maybe help me get signal with 4K out put on the Xbox/PS4? I will measure tonight the approximate length of the wall cable; Its probably a MAX 15 feet behind the wall. I will measure though and post back later tonight.

A.Romero

Would it not have the same effect at the junction just before the wall?

No clue having never used one myself.

I'm not sure... Let's say that the cable from the xbox to the wall is 1m long and the cable behind the wall is 10m long. There is another 1 m cable going from the wall to the one connect box.

My guess is that the signal from the xbox to the wall would be OK so if you "repeat" that signal within 1 m, it will still get affected once it has to go through the other 11m.

I'd think that the best way to take advantage of the repeater is to place it in the middle of the 10 m cable so the signal that gets to the other side is as strong as possible. That way, the signal has to keep it's strength for 6 m tops on either side.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I'm not sure... Let's say that the cable from the xbox to the wall is 1m long and the cable behind the wall is 10m long. There is another 1 m cable going from the wall to the one connect box.

My guess is that the signal from the xbox to the wall would be OK so if you "repeat" that signal within 1 m, it will still get affected once it has to go through the other 11m.

I'd think that the best way to take advantage of the repeater is to place it in the middle of the 10 m cable so the signal that gets to the other side is as strong as possible. That way, the signal has to keep it's strength for 6 m tops on either side.
That's a good point.

I was robing you were meaning directly behind the wall connector.

It's probably not optimal but would one at either end of the long stretch help?

This is something that I'm quite interested in as I'm planning on wall moving my tv myself at some point in the future.

A.Romero

That's a good point.

I was robing you were meaning directly behind the wall connector.

It's probably not optimal but would one at either end of the long stretch help?

This is something that I'm quite interested in as I'm planning on wall moving my tv myself at some point in the future.

Well, it would help as you would shorten the distance the original signal has to go through but if you do it on one of the side it would only help for 1m (using the hypothetical measurements I mentioned before). If the signal is not reaching the end point by 1 m only it would work but it's not likely.

As far as I know the repeater won't actually augment the signal strength, just repeat it.

Top Bottom