• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help a console only guy begin PC gaming!

DCX said:
Yeah i know...something i have never gotten into is RTSs, i fear them for some reason. I have been bred console and i fear the PC-centric titles on the market.

DCX

Hmm, well pc gaming is a state of mind. It feels completely different from console gaming. Dont get me wrong I love both pc and console gaming, I couldnt do without either one of em, but pc gaming... You wouldnt believe the sheer amount of memories I have of playing pc games, my snes was great, but the hours I've spent playing stuff like Leisure Suit Larry, Dune 2, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Alone in the Dark, Maniac Mansion and the Day of the Tentacle sequel, etc. Incredible.

I don't know if I can say this, but those early pc games were really pure. Built for a dying breed of gamers, well maybe not dying, but one that is outnumbered by the Need for Speed Underground playing, MTV sort of populace. (yeah cliche I know, but there's truth in it)

Call me crazy, but those Sam n Max and Full throttle sequels got canned for a reason. And how else would you explain EA becoming so succesfull with the crap they're churning out.

Anyway, my point is, that I cant put the essence of pc gaming (and especially the "early days") into words, so take my word for it and pick up Grim Fandango or Fallout so that you can have the point illustrated.

Raiden

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
Max Payne 1 and 2 are a must. Especially if you love a good, deep, and dark storyline.

The quality of both of the games are top-notch and are excellent in almost every way.
Exactly!

And also you cant miss out The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher bay.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
OK - I just picked up and installed a 1 GB DDR stick (now I've got 1.25 gigs of RAM) and an X800XL. (This was my first time installing PC hardware too, it wasn't as hard as I feared).

I went with the X800XL over the 6800 or 9800 PRO for a bit of future proofing and because the Nvidia stuff that was in stock was more than twice the price and the guys at the store swore by the X800, even though they could have upsold me to a 600 dollar GeForce product. Also, ATI's Markham HQ is only the next town over and I like to support local business. :D

So - what games? I've picked up:

Age of Mythology
Age of Empires III
Doom 3 and RoE expansion

Fatghost28 said:
OK - I just picked up and installed a 1 GB DDR stick (now I've got 1.25 gigs of RAM) and an X800XL. (This was my first time installing PC hardware too, it wasn't as hard as I feared).

I went with the X800XL over the 6800 or 9800 PRO for a bit of future proofing and because the Nvidia stuff that was in stock was more than twice the price and the guys at the store swore by the X800, even though they could have upsold me to a 600 dollar GeForce product. Also, ATI's Markham HQ is only the next town over and I like to support local business. :D

So - what games? I've picked up:

Age of Mythology
Age of Empires III
Doom 3 and RoE expansion

Whenever you want to play AoE III online, tell me. I'm free all weekends and some nights. We can play against some PCs or something. My ESO name is Netrunner2k2.

FFunit said:
like I said, get Counter Strike for FPS games. DONT EVER EVER EVER start with CS: Source before the original one. Cause Source sucks major ass.
How do you figure? Unless you have an old computer, I don't see any advantage of regular CS over CS: Source.

Top Bottom