• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me help a friend with his laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRed

Banned
Ok I have a friend who got a laptop from his Dad that his Dad got from work. He is unable install any other programs on it. I'm aware that company network administrators either use a program to dis allow the computer operators from adding programs or disables something in Window so that it will not allow new programs to be added. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks.

ShadowRed said:
Ok I have a friend who got a laptop from his Dad that his Dad got from work. He is unable install any other programs on it. I'm aware that company network administrators either use a program to dis allow the computer operators from adding programs or disables something in Window so that it will not allow new programs to be added. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks.

Your friend only has access to the limited account on the machine? Just zap it and do a new install. He'll need his own copy of Windows though.

ShadowRed

Banned
Thanks guys. I told him he would most likely have to format, but wanted to make sure there wasn't any other way to get around this.

ShadowRed said:
Thanks guys. I told him he would most likely have to format, but wanted to make sure there wasn't any other way to get around this.

There are ways to get around it. What he needs is the password to the admin account. Depending on how well the IT guy locked it down, hacking around for the password could be fairly easy or not worth the effort- hard.

I'd still zap it and intsall a new Windows though, if it was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom