• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with 3DMax

Status
Not open for further replies.
roomple.jpg

Im refining this early project for my portfolio in class and im wondering how I could add light hitting the window itself without disturbing the look of the picture. Some things ive tried so far make it look all gaudy n stupid. but the light hitting the chair doesnt seem to match the intensity of the light hitting the rest of the room. Too focused probably.

Suggestions?

I'm not up to date with studio max, but more than likely you can define what objects are affected by lights. Just isolate the window for the light to affect it.

Im sorta more looking for ideas on how to represent the light. Lighting the shapes that make up the window panes doesnt seem to do it, and assigning 'glass' materials make it look shitty since the overall look of the piece isn't really going for realism. Also im not that good at lighting, I can manipulate range and everything but I dont know the tricks.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
MAF: What's your lighting setup? (i.e. Number of lights, omni, target direct, etc.)

2 target from the window, going to knock it down to 1 probably cause 1 of them doesnt actually light anything up within the selected shot. They just serve to cast strong light against the objects in the middle of the room, like whats on the chair. Thats sorta what im trying to go for. I have 1 omni from above for ambient. Then a filter was added for the softness.

Im willing to re-work the lighting if it produces different and potentially better results.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. If you're not shooting for the realistic look, its kinda hard to envision what you want.
Are you going for an abstract, dreamy look?

well I wanted to add a cig to the ashtray and do particle smoke effect mun, so thats a valid suggestion.

Kwok: yeah im going for abstract.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
You could try messing with volume lights, altho it might look out of place on your piece.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm not exactly sure what to suggest, it's looking nice to me though. =)

But I wanted to ask, you're taking 3d classes right? What school are you going to? Just curious since we're both in AZ. =)

You could always try self illumination on the window. It that isn't exactly what you want then try a combo with a self illumination mask texture.

That or go to the environment pullout and add a background color.

In real life, to get the sort of exposure you are getting inside the room, the background would be really bright to the point of being blown out.

3phemeral

Some programs have a "sunlight" option where lighting system mimics whatever time of day you input into the program. It's not too accurate, but it does a decent job, not sure what the plugin might be for 3dsmax. Just a thought :p

You might just want to render in sections and composite the image later after applying post-edit lighting. It could be easier than fiddling with the render machanics to get the desired affect. If it's something you want to be really abstract, I'd just render a base image with the separate components; apply effects and layer them however desired.

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Some programs have a "sunlight" option where lighting system mimics whatever time of day you input into the program. It's not too accurate, but it does a decent job, not sure what the plugin might be for 3dsmax. Just a thought :p

You might just want to render in sections and composite the image later after applying post-edit lighting. It could be easier than fiddling with the render machanics to get the desired affect. If it's something you want to be really abstract, I'd just render a base image with the separate components; apply effects and layer them however desired.

Light Tracer does this in MAX as does the Radiosity. If you are using MAX 6.1 hit the'9' key and switch the solution to Light Tracer. Next, go to the light creation tab and create a "Skylight"

Do a test render

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom