• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki's interview about Deracine and his method of storytelling

sublimit

Banned
“As we were starting to wrap up Bloodborne and Dark Souls III we were obviously looking at what might come next, but at the same time we were looking at what we’d done in the past,” he says.
“We actually released a lot of adventure games prior to our more recent reputation for action titles. For example, we released one called Echo Night. We didn’t want to just bring that back, but at the same time we knew that we had heritage in adventure games.

“So that gave us the opportunity to start having an internal conversation about what we could do within that genre, while at the same time looking at VR – and the two ideas meshed well.”

“Maybe not all our newer fans will know this but once upon a time we used to put out very strange, quirky and unique games. That’s very attractive to me as a developer – I don’t want to keep on putting out the same kind of games all the time.
“I think occasional surprises are enticing to our fans. This is exactly that. It’s unexpected and doesn’t follow on from any of our recent titles – hopefully it appeals to our audience by being something new and fresh. It felt like the right time to do that.”

As anyone who has played Bloodborne or the Dark Souls game will know, FromSoftware delights in leaving a series of breadcrumbs for the player to follow should they wish to decode the story at these games’ core.

It can be frustratingly oblique at times, but also helps give Miyazaki’s games their unique, cultish appeal, fuelling conversation and fan-theorising long after you’ve put the controller down.

As confirmed above, the snatches of story I uncover during my brief time with Déraciné, make it clear that it’s a game very much cut from the same cloth.

“It’s an absolute true fact that this is the methodology that I take in telling stories in our games,” says Miyazaki when asked why this is how he chooses to tell his stories. “It’s an approach that I really like.”

“I believe it’s rooted in my own life experience,” he continues.

“When I was a kid I was reading books that were probably intended for an older age group. They were books that were very hard for me to understand.

“If I read the book straight-up I probably didn’t understand some of the words or concepts and the meanings. But the work that I had to do – like leaving some of the story up to my imagination, or going back to read things again later when I had greater understanding – that’s a process that has had a big influence on what I do today.

“I feel like you can have ‘easy’ books that you can read all the time but once in a while I feel like you should feed yourself something a bit more challenging,that gives you a sense of enjoyment and fun when you are finally able to understand it.

“That’s the approach I like to take – to ensure there is that sense of happiness in understanding what is being told.”

Miyazaki doesn't like to speak very often so it's always a pleasure to hear him talk. Too bad i'll never play Deracine. More in the link:
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ki-reveals-new-details-on-deracine-for-ps-vr/

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
He has a good mindset about game development, in not wanting to put out the same games all the time, and to keep things fresh with new IPs. I´m one of the newer fans of Fromsofts work, as the first title from them that I really enjoyed was Demon´s Souls. But I am aware of their earlier output from all the way back to King´s Field, and I know they have constantly put out strange and odd games to all sorts of systems. It´s just that none of the games they´ve made up until Souls have appealed to me so it´s sad to hear that Miyazaki are abandoning the series to pursuit new things. I completely understand it, as a creator myself I don´t wanna be stuck doing the same thing over and over again, but damn I fucking love Souls and Bloodborne and I want nothing more than new entries in these series.

Top Bottom