• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hipsters don't look alike, stop using my photo! Errr, it's not a photo of you...it's another hipster

cormack12

Gold Member
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/10/7020...by-mistaking-photo-as-himself?t=1552331377160

Right after the article was published, MIT Technology Review promptly received an email from someone who claimed he was the man in the photo and hadn't given his consent. He accused the publication of slandering him and threatened legal action, writing:

"You used a heavily edited Getty image of me for your recent bit of click-bait about why hipsters all look the same. It's a poorly written and insulting article and somewhat ironically about five years too late to be as desperately relevant as it is attempting to be. By using a tired cultural trope to try to spruce up an otherwise disturbing study. Your lack of basic journalistic ethics and both the manner in which you reported this uncredited nonsense and the slanderous unnecessary use of my picture without permission demands a response and I am of course pursuing legal action."
Lichfield and his team quickly checked to see if the model in the photo signed a model release. They contacted Getty Images, which found that the person who signed the model release was not the person who wrote the angry email.

After the misunderstanding was cleared up, the man responded by saying to Getty Images, "Wow, I stand corrected I guess. I and multiple family members, and a childhood friend pointed it out to me, thought it was a mildly photo-shopped picture of me. I even have a very similar hat and shirt, though in full color I can see it's not the same. Thank you for getting back to me and resolving the issue."

Lichfield tweeted this scenario and wrote that the incident "just proves the story we ran: Hipsters look so much alike that they can't even tell themselves apart from each other."

Hipsters:

giphy.gif

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
"Wow, I stand corrected I guess"

There is no guessing, we was caught acting like a moron over a false assumption.
Also, after putting people through all this trouble, the least he could say is "I am sorry"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And hipsters wonder why they have trouble climbing the corporate ladder.

Hi, please have a seat. Let's chat about this big deal our companies can do.
asian-business-man.jpg

Hi, one lump of sugar or two?
DGCLNGUHIZFTBCZKCWFWCVJ7WA.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And hipsters wonder why they have trouble climbing the corporate ladder.

Hi, please have a seat. Let's chat about this big deal our companies can do.
asian-business-man.jpg

Hi, one lump of sugar or two?
DGCLNGUHIZFTBCZKCWFWCVJ7WA.jpg

Walking buy rustic wood trying to pass off a rugged man.

Never picked up an axe/hatchet because he would break a sweat in his scented beard oils.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
To be fair, hipsters generally still look a bit better, and deffo smell better than cave dwellers after a 56 hour stint on Wow on nothing but a diet of cheetos and dew.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who the fuck still plays WoW with that fervor?

I suppose you're right though. It is a double weighted scale with a WoW Cheeto player versus half a manhood swallowed by 3rd wave feminism full frumpy with Mumford Sons on Clockwork Orange repeat.

But at least they smell of lavender oil and defeat.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
To be fair, hipsters generally still look a bit better, and deffo smell better than cave dwellers after a 56 hour stint on Wow on nothing but a diet of cheetos and dew.
Who the fuck still plays WoW with that fervor?

I suppose you're right though. It is a double weighted scale with a WoW Cheeto player versus half a manhood swallowed by 3rd wave feminism full frumpy with Mumford Sons on Clockwork Orange repeat.

But at least they smell of lavender oil and defeat.

I want all my NeoGAF exchanges to go exactly like this

Top Bottom