• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight: Silksong on Steam has been receiving updated assets this week (first real Steamdb updates since January 2023 - TBA release date)

Black Widow Avengers GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm still shocked that tears of the Kingdom was released first.

But ya as said I stopped getting excited. My hype is crazy max but the delays are a bitch. I'll believe it once I see the splash screens.
Because of the constant delays, I am also a bit skeptical about its quality. Will it meet the crazy high expectations fans (including me) have built in their heads?

They showed Silksong's first trailer years ago and showed several biomes; the game looked almost finished. I suspect so many delays mean they had to redo a lot of that stuff, which is never a good sign.

I hope the game exceeds all our expectations and does not feel disjointed as a result of that.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the success of Hollow Knight is probably what keeps delaying this game. They set themselves for such high standards that they prob overthink everything and want to make it better.

I hope they succeed, but honestly, they should just release it and move on to a new project. It's prob weighing so heavily on them.

Josemayuste

Nice, now I only need confirmation for Outer Wilds on Switch, and Little Devil Inside on PS5 and the suffering will be over 🥲

There is no way this is releasing in 2023 and that's fine, we are spoiled for choice with quality releases this year. When it arrives in 2024 I'll be there day 1 👌

Because of the constant delays, I am also a bit skeptical about its quality. Will it meet the crazy high expectations fans (including me) have built in their heads?

They showed Silksong's first trailer years ago and showed several biomes; the game looked almost finished. I suspect so many delays mean they had to redo a lot of that stuff, which is never a good sign.

I hope the game exceeds all our expectations and does not feel disjointed as a result of that.

That trailer was absurdly polished and I think that is the reason everyone is so hungry for Silksong. And that was gameplay itself. I suspect it was much less finished than it looked, but also that Team Cherry is under tremendous pressure to get things right. I also suspect they want to release the game as a full priced title at $70, and want to include the content they feel needed to justify it. To that end, my only worry is that the game may be too large and bloated.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Interesting points. i think because the first game was so polished I just assumed that the quality would be the same. The first game for me was nearly perfect except for the map which was really confusing and generally getting around was kind of a chore early in the game.

Sensei

Interesting points. i think because the first game was so polished I just assumed that the quality would be the same. The first game for me was nearly perfect except for the map which was really confusing and generally getting around was kind of a chore early in the game.

Imho the reason for the delays is a bit simpler and I think it was also stated by Team Cherry themselves in an early interview about Silksong.
The first release of Hollow Knight on PC was very buggy, with at least one instance in which you could softlock yourself out of the game. This didn't cause a huge uproar back then only because the game was still mostly unknown and it was quickly patched during the first few weeks/months.
After the success of the first game, I think they want to avoid a situation like this, but now they (probably?) also have to handle a multi-platform release, while the original Hollow Knight was initially released only on PC.

They pushed it back from 2023 but I would imagine an announcement once they feel it’s ready. I don’t expect a shadow drop of the new release, they would only do that for a port like how they announced the Switch version. But who knows with Team Cherry.

Kind of put this game outside of my radar as it’s been in development for what seems like forever. Hopefully it’s good but I’m not as excited as I was when I first finished the first game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Kind of put this game outside of my radar as it’s been in development for what seems like forever. Hopefully it’s good but I’m not as excited as I was when I first finished the first game.
Same.

Hollow Knight is one of my all-time favorite Indie games, and I was super excited for Silksong, but now the hype has died down significantly. I'm also skeptical of the quality of the sequel.

As of now, I'm 10x more excited for Hades 2. Inject that shit into my bloodstream today!

Gambit2483

Studios have announced and released whole games in the same time frame this was announced.

I know, I know Team Cherry is a much much smaller team but damn...it's going on 4 years since it was revealed in 2019 (which I assume was after they were already deep into development)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Studios have announced and released whole games in the same time frame this was announced.

I know, I know Team Cherry is a much much smaller team but damn...it's going on 4 years since it was revealed in 2019 (which I assume was after they were already deep into development)
They definitely ran into big problems and may have even redone some of the things they showed to us in the first gameplay trailer.

Team Cherry is smaller than other studios, but so is their game. They are not creating a AAA game like GOW Ragnarok or Jedi Survivor. So a smaller team, developing a smaller AA game, should have (generally) followed the same timeline as a bigger team, working on a big AAA game, under normal circumstances.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The first game gave me such good vibes for the lore. It was so dark and mysterious. I really hope they can nail something similar again.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The first game gave me such good vibes for the lore. It was so dark and mysterious. I really hope they can nail something similar again.
I'm sure you and most others would have seen this video by now, but in case you or anyone hasn't, do yourself a favor and watch this if you like the game.

There are so many little things that even I missed in my 2 playthroughs of the game. It's "hauntingly beautiful."

Top Bottom