• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy crap, 2006 looks insanely good for the PC

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Check out this list of 2006 PC games (only the promising ones--and apologies if this link has already been posted, but it's frequently updated, so):

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24145969

What are you looking forward to most on the PC? For me, Spore is probably my #1 pick. Will Wright is one of the few designers who is able to both hugely innovate and also execute amazingly well--in fact, I can't think of any upcoming game for any platform that looks as fresh as Spore does.

Tain

It probably won't be 06, but BioShock is my most anticipated PC game. Shock 2 just had me by the balls like no other game before it, and Shock 1 is still surprisingly playable. New Warren Spector game on Source sounds awesome, too.

And then there's HL2 Aftermath. And Quake Wars. And Sin.

But outside of that... Vampyre Story might rock, as might DropTeam. Sam n' Max 2, of course.

Sanjuro

I always have this conversation with my friends, and this year looks no different.

Outside of MMORPGs and a handfull of FPS, PC gaming has turned into half-assed console ports and still is a damn shame.

Btw: Sam and Max 2 would make me cum.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
What are you people, crazy!? The year looks EXCELLENT. Although my tastes are diversified so there's one or two games in ever genre that pique my interest. Hopefully there'll be some great surprises at this years E3 and some more hardcore DX10 demos coming down the pipeline.

Titles I'm looking forward too:
Medieval II: Total War
Rise of Legends
Company of Heroes
SPORE
City Life
Dragon Age
WoW: Burning Crusade
NWN 2
Grafan
Gothic 3
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Wiki
Titan Quest
Age of Conan
Divine Divinity 2
The Witcher
Defcon
Microst Flight Simulator X
Vampyre Story
Paradise
Broken Sword 4
Sam & Max 2
Bio Shock
Huxley
Crysis
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
HL2: Aftermath
Project Offset
Spector's New Game
ET: Quake Wars
Alpha Prime
Savage II
They Hunger
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Prey
Alan Wake
TES IV: Oblivion
UT2007
Dark Sector

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I always have this conversation with my friends, and this year looks no different.

Outside of MMORPGs and a handfull of FPS, PC gaming has turned into half-assed console ports and still is a damn shame.

Well, there are all of the turn-based games, real-time strategy games, conventional RPGs, simulations, hybrids (RTS-RPG, for example), adventure games, weird/innovative/high-quality sports and racing games, and tons of niche titles you won't find anywhere else. :)

And even the MMORPGs and FPSes (some of them) look like big improvements, innovation- and gameplay-wise.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else still looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever? I watched the 2001 trailer (http://www.duke4.net/download.php?list.2) a few days ago and it still looked badass. Too bad the game will never come out.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Yeah good old duke. I think they are using the doom 3 engine now days, at least QW:ET shows that some good graphics can be made using that engine.

element

bbyybb said:
Yeah good old duke. I think they are using the doom 3 engine now days, at least QW:ET shows that some good graphics can be made using that engine.
Duke is using Unreal for the tools, but AFAIK they have re-written the renderer and added in their own physics.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I can't believe nobody's talking about Supreme Commander. If that was the only game released this entire year, I would be satisfied.

PC gaming is looking great. I upgraded at the right time.

lilltias

I seriously hope that S.T.A.L.K.E.R will be teh Game, although that talk about levels didn't exatcly give me a hard-on. I'm sure Medieval II will, though.

acidviper

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
What are you people, crazy!? The year looks EXCELLENT. Although my tastes are diversified so there's one or two games in ever genre that pique my interest. Hopefully there'll be some great surprises at this years E3 and some more hardcore DX10 demos coming down the pipeline.

Titles I'm looking forward too:
Medieval II: Total War
Rise of Legends
Company of Heroes
SPORE
City Life
Dragon Age
WoW: Burning Crusade
NWN 2
Grafan
Gothic 3
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Wiki
Titan Quest
Age of Conan
Divine Divinity 2
The Witcher
Defcon
Microst Flight Simulator X
Vampyre Story
Paradise
Broken Sword 4
Sam & Max 2
Bio Shock
Huxley
Crysis
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
HL2: Aftermath
Project Offset
Spector's New Game
ET: Quake Wars
Alpha Prime
Savage II
They Hunger
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Prey
Alan Wake
TES IV: Oblivion
UT2007
Dark Sector

Aside from WoW and HL2 I have never heard of any of those games.

"Aside from WoW and HL2 I have never heard of any of those games."

How well do you keep up with PC games? I don't think it's any surprise that you don't if you don't pay attention to any of them.

Spencerr

Banned
acidviper said:

Unreal Tournament you should have
Flight Simulator you should have, I mean c'mon who hasn't.
Sam and Max
Oblivion..

You live under a rock?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
acidviper said:
That's fine, I'll just tell you what you NEED to know:
UT2007 - FPS
Dragon Age - RPG
ET: Quake Wars - Online FPS
TES IV: Oblivion - RPG
SPORE - Sim?

I'm pretty sure those games would appeal to the console side of the market as well as the PC side. Research these games and see if they interest you, they're certainly some of the best of this year (well hopefully).

Oh and I forgot about Supreme Commander, looking forward to that one as well.

lilltias

"Aside from WoW and HL2 I have never heard of any of those games"

That's like being a car freak and never heard of BMW ;)

nfreakct

I honestly believe we'll be lucky (and blessed) to have Will Wright's Spore come out in 2006. 2007 is a much better bet.

Top Bottom