• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Rivalry: Resident Evil or Silent Hill? Which do you prefer and has your opinion changed?

Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

• Total voters

mcz117chief

Resident Evil is just a normal zombie shoot-bang. Silent Hill is actually interesting apart from being a monster shoot-bang. Not saying Resident Evil is bad, it is just, you play one you played them all. Silent Hill is also quite similar between individual games but I like the different perspectives and changes to the city, etc. I think it just boils down to if you prefer zombies or monsters since, when all is said and done, they are both pretty similar.

Mooreberg

If you compared the portions of the Resident Evil franchise that are "horror games" to the Team Silent games (the first four) I think it is a toss up. It just becomes apples and oranges after that, because outside of RE7, most games in that franchise from RE4 onward are action games. And Silent Hill has been a farm out franchise since Homecoming, with Shattered Memories maybe being the one game that long time fans thought highly of. RE2 / Remake / Code Veronica vs. the first three Silent Hill games is a wash, with SH4 and RE3 being lesser games that were still good in their own right. Would love to have seen what Silent Hills could have become, because P.T. was a brilliant vertical slice.

KiteGr

Resident Evil Games:

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Revelations
etc.

Silent Hill Games:

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Downpour
Silent Hill Book of Memories
etc.
You forgot Code Veronica. The true Resident Evil 3...

• Resident Evil: Great idea! Good execution! Pioneered the Survival Horror!
  • Resident Evil 2: Thanks to it's scrap and reconstruct, we got an amazing sequel that improved on almost everything!
  • Resident Evil Nemesis: This wasn't supposed to be the 3rd installment, and it looks poor compared to RE2. People who never played scenario 2 on RE2 and never met MrX consider Nemesis as unique, where it was simply an idea of RE2 that got slightly improved and they made a whole game around it.
  • Resident Evil 3 Code Veronica: This is in more ways a true sequel to RE2. Sadly it was more like an action movie near the end, but so was RE3. It's biggest problem was that it came on a dying console, and looked to poor for the newer one's standard, so many people didn't played it.
  • Resident Evil Remake: Among the best in the series, and the best remake ever made!
  • Resident Evil 0: Worse that REmake. it had some good idea, but the tedious inventory management killed it for me!
  • Resident Evil 4: It was a fantastic game, that dared to go a different direction! Sadly that direction meant that the series could only get worse in the newer installments.
  • Resident Evil 5: As so it happened. Trying to one-up RE4 meant that they could only made them bigger and louder, and this one suffered from it! The worst part was the AI of your "new partner".
  • Resident Evil 6: And that's the natural conclusion of trying to follow the RE4 formula.
  • Resident Evil 7: And here is the series going back on track! The graphics where fantastic, the horror true, the story great!

Silent hill was supposed to do better horror, but after 2 the installments are hit or miss.

• Silent Hill: A great unique Masterpiece.
  • Silent Hill 2: an Even greater Masterpiece.
  • Silent Hill 3: Fun fact! This game was originally supposed to be about teen pregnancies and abortions, following the theme from SH2 of revolving around physiologically tortured main characters and breaking new grounds. Somewhere during development, they got convinced to "franchise" the franchise (ether by Konami or their own self doubt) and brought back the evil cults, and the current game suffers from it. Hints of the original design are plastered all over it!
  • Silent Hill 4: Good idea, bad gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was originally about being introvert, and got the same treatment as SH3.
  • Rest of the series: With the exception perhaps of Shattered memories, the rest are shit. None of the new studios got a clue about what made the series good and only tried to improve on surface elements.

Last edited:
You forgot Code Veronica. The true Resident Evil 3...

• Resident Evil: Great idea! Good execution! Pioneered the Survival Horror!
  • Resident Evil 2: Thanks to it's scrap and reconstruct, we got an amazing sequel that improved on almost everything!
  • Resident Evil Nemesis: This wasn't supposed to be the 3rd installment, and it looks poor compared to RE2. People who never played scenario 2 on RE2 and never met MrX consider Nemesis as unique, where it was simply an idea of RE2 that got slightly improved and they made a whole game around it.
  • Resident Evil 3 Code Veronica: This is in more ways a true sequel to RE2. Sadly it was more like an action movie near the end, but so was RE3. It's biggest problem was that it came on a dying console, and looked to poor for the newer one's standard so many people didn't played it.
  • Resident Evil Remake: Among the best in the series, and the best remake ever made!
  • Resident Evil 0: Worse that REmake. it had some good idea, but the tedious inventory management and killed it for me!
  • Resident Evil 4: It was a fantastic game, that dared to go a different direction! Sadly that direction meant that the series could only get worse in the newer installments.
  • Resident Evil 5: As so it happened. Trying to one-up RE4 meant that they could only made them bigger and louder, and this one suffered from it! The worst part was the AI of your "new partner".
  • Resident Evil 6: And that's the natural conclusion of trying to follow the RE4 formula.
  • Resident Evil 7: And here is the series going back on track! The graphics where fantastic, the horror true, the story great!

Silent hill was supposed to do better horror, but after 2 the installments are hit or miss.

• Silent Hill: A great unique Masterpiece.
  • Silent Hill 2: an Even greater Masterpiece.
  • Silent Hill 3: Fun fact! This game was originally supposed to be about teen pregnancies and abortions, following the theme from SH2 of revolving around physiologically tortured main characters and breaking new grounds. Somewhere during development, they got convinced to "franchise" the franchise (ether by Konami or their own self doubt) and brought back the evil cults, and the current game suffers from it. Hints of the original design are plastered all over it!
  • Silent Hill 4: Good idea, bad gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was originally about being introvert, and got the same treatment as SH3.
  • Rest of the series: With the exception perhaps of Shattered memories, the rest are shit. None of the new studios got a clue about what made the series good and only tried to improve on surface elements.

Well Alone In the Dark pioneered survival horror but anyway.

Resident Evil "3" Nemesis was advertised as Resident Evil 3 and Code veronica was advertised as a spin-off so i think maybe Capcom expected Code Veronica to not be as successful given it was on the DC and all the other games were PlayStation focused. Code Veronica would be enhanced on PS2 later so i think they wanted Nemesis to be 3 because the PS1 was still selling bucket loads when it came out.
'
As for Silent Hill I thought Downpour was a good idea but with the wrong developer. The Atmosphere was right, and the evil ball of energy chasing you and distorting things was a neat idea, but the developer clearly didn't have the talent or budget to take that further.

I'm a massive Silent Hill fan, even if it isn't quite as good as Resident Evil. Although none of the former games really feel like they are connected, I still really love the graphics and the mature, creepy plot, and the shopping mall in 3 still looks amazing in 2018. You can almost taste the icing on the cakes in Helen's Bakery. Both franchises have key moments that set them apart from similar games.

3 was a proper sequel to the original, but 2 and the others were basically 'their own thing' you could say, and eventually, I think them adding in the nurses and Pyramid Head for no reason, and making them too action heavy, was bringing forth a bout of desperation and cheapness. It kind of took away from what Pyramid Head was, and the character became kind of devalued. He wasn't supposed to be a stock character that appeared in multiple new iterations, but that's basically what happened once the series went "Hollywood" on us.

Also, Resident Evil has its high and low points, because of how Capcom treats it. Some games are just laughable. While I wouldn't say 4 and 5 are the worst games ever made, they certainly put RE in the 'WTF?' category. The same with 6 and 7. But the remake of 2 does look fantastic, and I like The Walking Dead style zombies they are putting in. Zombies, to me at least, had kind of lost a lot of their scariness. Although it remains to be seen if Capcom can do non remakes and actually make them great again. We'll just have to wait and see...

Hang fire, guys!

Resident Evil has not a had a single bad mainline game yet. Not even 5 or 6.

That’s not necessarily fair for Silent Hill. The last few games were outsourced lol. As for RE not having any bad games, wasn’t RE: Raccoon City or something like that which was outsourced if I remember correctly considered bad by most people? Unless it was considered a side story like those on rail RE games. I never played to confirm.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sillent Hill is dead now since Kojima is gone

Konami won't bother making another except for a pachinko machine

Meanwhile Resident Evil lives on

Last edited:
Top Bottom