• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House bill proposed to end fed. enforcement of marijuana laws in legalized states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couleurs

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2017/feb/08/chronicle_am_states_rights_marij
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) Tuesday filed House Resolution 975, the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act. The bill would resolve conflicts between state and federal laws by exempting people and entities from certain provisions of the Controlled Substances Act if they are acting in compliance with state laws. Rohrabacher authored similar legislation in the last Congress, garnering 20 cosponsors, including seven Republicans.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/975/
"H.R.975 - To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide for a new rule regarding the application of the Act to marihuana, and for other purposes."
(text not available yet)

The last attempt in 2015 didn't go anywhere, but with more states voting in favor of legalization in 2016 and public support growing, with ~60% of people supporting legalization, maybe this will have a better shot of passing since it still has bipartisan co-sponsorship.

Surprised to see a Republican propose a sane bill in the current environment, so I guess this is a rare bit of good news if it starts moving forward.

Ogodei

Get enough of the more libertarian Rs on board with it and it could pass (although there's probably a good chunk of Dems who are still all-in on the drug war).

Problem is the Hastert Rule. You won't get a majority of Rs to go for it in a long while.

If it passed I wonder if Trump would sign it. I think it should be decriminalized in all states although I can't partake.

Knowing Rohrabacher, this is part of some Kremlin scheme to undermine America's youth.
I've been rereading this to your response and the only thing I can think of is that I'm missing something hidden in the text. Or that you didn't read it and stopped when you saw it was a Republican?

Edit: lmao nice edit.

Nista

This might be one of those rare instances where a R congressman actually is listening to constituents. Not like anyone wants the Feds after pot in SoCal.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump is in favor of decriminalizing/legalizing marijuana, but that might depend on who is the last to talk to him before the EO is written.

This might be one of those rare instances where a R congressman actually is listening to constituents. Not like anyone wants the Feds after pot in SoCal.

Probably just invested in some pot stocks and want to make a few grands.

Part of me thinks this is premempting Sessions from potentially losing the federal government's ability to enforced drug laws. If sessions challenges a states legalization of marijuana (as some have expected him to do), and ultimately the feds lose in the court (which they likely would), it could strip the power to regulate drugs within state lines from the Federal government.

The coincidence that this was filed or proposed on the day sessions was confirmed just seems... Coincidental to a scheme.

ICO_SotC

Maybe there is no catch? Maybe Republicans are realizing if they take ownership of this issue, it could be a blow to Democrats by drawing voters from them.

We need to be stronger on this issue.

I think the only catch is that instead of trying to legalize it nation wide they're allowing states to decide. Which means that states dominated by old conservative white men who scream at clouds this will mean nothing to them.

I've been rereading this to your response and the only thing I can think of is that I'm missing something hidden in the text. Or that you didn't read it and stopped when you saw it was a Republican?

Edit: lmao nice edit.

I did read it I just detest Dana Rohrabacher and I'm ambivalent on weed legalisation. Psychiatry is a relatively new form of medicine and there hasn't been enough research into the long term mental health effects of weed in vulnerable people.

edit: for reactional use, that is. Not legalising the drug for medical use is silly.

I think the only catch is that instead of trying to legalize it nation wide they're allowing states to decide. Which means that states dominated by old conservative white men who scream at clouds this will mean nothing to them.

On the flip side, the more states legalize and take part, the better for the overall growth of the marijuana industry. It will be hard for ANY state to ignore the type of revenue stream other states will be bringing it. And if legalization attracts young people to seeking jobs in those states, that could bring further loss of economic growth to the old curmudgeony states.

If it passed I wonder if Trump would sign it. I think it should be decriminalized in all states although I can't partake.
I think Trump is a "let the states decide" type of guy, which would be awesome if this passes. I prefer state rules than the Goverment being like "lol nope"

That shit is my medicine.

SpecX

Cool but I don't see this passing since it benefits California and Trump is preparing for war with that state. If Texas, Florida, or even New York presented this, then he'd be all for it.

Dana Rohrabacher is personal friend of V.V. Putin. Dana Rohrabacher is the most if not the only pro-Kremlin, pro-Assad member of Congress. Unsurprisingly, Dana Rohrabacher is a lunatic and thus a member of the libertarian wing of the GOP; he'd probably support that 'government shouldn't be able to stop you from beating up your family' bill that his friend Putin just signed into law.

Dana Rohrabacher is an absolute beast, a smelly, smelly man.

Dana Rohrabacher is personal friend of V.V. Putin. Dana Rohrabacher is the most if not the only pro-Kremlin, pro-Assad member of Congress. Unsurprisingly, Dana Rohrabacher is a lunatic and thus a member of the libertarian wing of the GOP; he'd probably support the 'government shouldn't be able to stop you from beating up your family' bill that his friend Putin just signed into law.

Ok, but what does that have to do with this specific bill?

Nista

One can only hope that if he's caught up in the Trump mania, that the beach cities might wise up and kick his crazy old ass out of Congress. I'd like to move out of Irvine sometime, but trading Mimi for Dana is pretty bad.

Ok, but what does that have to do with this specific law?

Think about why a person like this would be pushing to legalise drugs. Recently, Russia effectively decriminalised weed possession (up to 20 plants and 6 grams) for personal use. Under communist regimes in Europe, especially after a crackdown, it's been historically noted that drugs and alcohol would suddenly become cheaper and more available.

Think about why a person like this would be pushing to legalise drugs. Recently, Russia effectively decriminalised weed possession (up to 20 plants and 6 grams) for personal use. Under communist regimes in Europe, especially during the years of heavy suppression, drugs and alcohol suddenly became cheaper and very available.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gop-congressman-says-he-uses-medical-marijuana_us_5744bff2e4b055bb117084d8
He has freely admitted that he uses marijuana, that's probably why he wants to legalize it.

KHarvey16

Think about why a person like this would be pushing to legalise drugs. Recently, Russia effectively decriminalised weed possession (up to 20 plants and 6 grams) for personal use. Under communist regimes in Europe, especially after a crackdown, it's been historically noted that drugs and alcohol would suddenly become cheaper and more available.

I don't understand why that makes it a bad bill.

You must be smoking some good shit right now. Right?
Right?

spwolf

Under communist regimes in Europe, especially after a crackdown, it's been historically noted that drugs and alcohol would suddenly become cheaper and more available.

thats actually not true at all... Communists were like hard core republicans/traditionalists in many things, you were supposed to be a proper person and do proper things. Everything else was frowned upon, especially drugs that were treated harshly. Alcohol was different due to old tradition, and also a byproduct of society where you did not have much to do but in general Communists hated it. Russia had sort of prohibition in 80's and even Putin put up a minimum price on Votka.

They won hearts and minds with free stuff - healthcare, schools, pensions, housing and hard stance on actions that were anti-regime... as well as full control of all media.

So if you want to compare Trump's goverment with communists, it would not be easing of drug laws at all, but rather anti-media stance.

In general, I dont remember any sucessful totalitarian regime making drugs and alcohol cheap so they can control the people. Maybe in some sci-fi books? Most of them were very much against it because getting drunk or high leads to problematic behavior. Looking over at leftovers like N. Korea, some Arab countries, China, it still holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom