• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Sony, Microsoft and/or Nintendo change the way we share digital games?

RCU005

I'm new to this, since I'm usually the only one at home that play video games. However, the doctor told my father to play some games because that would help him with a damaged nerve in his finger. He bought his own PS4 Pro and I told him not to worry about games because I could share mine with him.

After reading and searching, I realized that it's HIS console that I'd need to activate as MY primary in order to be able to share games. However, I still don't know what happens if I don't do that. (If anyone could explain it to me, I'll appreciate it).

So it got me thinking. If Sony knows we do that to share games, or maybe they actually designed it that way. I think they should change it so that we could have a better management when sharing games. If they DO let us share games anyway, even if it's just to one other console, maybe we could get an app or an option in settings to manage that.

I don't like the way it is now because, in my case, I don't live with my father. Also, it's weird that in order to share games your primary console is NOT the one that you use! IMO, with this setup, I'd never share a game outside my family (is that intended?).

Another weird thing -which I don't know if I'm right- but aren't primary consoles able to access everything on the account and console? So doing it for kids (for example), let them change whatever they want?

So do you have any ideas on how Sony and others could improve on this, specially since Sony is making an all-digital console, and Microsoft is rumored to have the Series X all-digital, too?

I_D

Steam's method works pretty well, I think.

People I've allowed to have access to my games can play whatever they want, as long as I'm not playing something on Steam.

Rayderism

I think it would be fair if you could cancel your license, delete the game and remove it from your library on any digital game for a percentage of the current PSN price, and the money given as credit to your PSN wallet. What percentage? Well, I'd think 50% would be actually fair, but for these corporations, they'd likely go more like 20% or less. Still, ANY way to recoup at least some money from games that you either didn't like or have long since beaten and never intend to play again would be welcome.

But you know, these game company's would likely get a serious case of red-ass at the mere thought of someone selling back a handful of games and using the "credit" (as opposed to actual money) to buy some full priced game. Not to mention complications with devs/publisher agreements. So unless it gets forced on them by some government regulation, don't count on it ever happening.

Sleepwalker

If you don't make your account primary on his PS4 then he won't be able to launch the games and that's that.

And yes, supposedly it is intended only for family situations, they don't want you actively getting the game for 2 people at the cost of 1 copy.

If you have a large family, two consoles aren't enough. No way I am getting multiple Plus accounts and buying a game multiple times. I would like to see Sony have some type of family plan where you can have 3 or 4 consoles connected to the same local network which could share your games.

Ten_Fold

I want to be able to resell digital games like I do with physical. Bid system or best offer.
I like this option, and Sony should have tons of sales and bundles to make more people interested in digital. Also if someone on my friends list wants to play a game I have it should give you the option to allow them to play especially multiplayer games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They already changed it by pretty much not allowing it. They don't want people sharing digital content. They want people to buy their own copies because that's how they make money.

Me and my gameshare partner on ps4 pro got 340 games, on xbox one x i share with another close friend an we have like 296 games. Also gameshare on Nintendo switch and we have tons of games(never counted)

I say all that to say you can do it and not run into any issues bro. Hook your pops up he deserves it lol

Steam's method works pretty well, I think.

People I've allowed to have access to my games can play whatever they want, as long as I'm not playing something on Steam.
So you can't play anything, not even a different game? If I'm playing Half Life then you couldn't play Half Life 2? If that's the case then I prefer the way my Xbox does it.

Top Bottom