• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I would want a FF6 Remake..

Pachi72

Man I will say to this day FF6 remains to me the best Final Fantasy game of all time. And I seen a bunch of remakes just done so wrong. Like FF3 Remake for 3DS which was to me a horrible remake..What better way to remake FF6 than to use the Octopath Traveler Engine which is Unreal Engine 4...What you all think?

octopath_feature.jpg

Narshe_town.PNG

ss-040.jpg

UBLrtGD.jpg

Last edited:

Meesh

Very much agree, in fact, every time I explain octos looks I say "3d FF6". It scratches the right itches for me and I hope it sells well enough for sequels.

Mochilador

I still have to play this game and a remake would be pretty cool. I believe there is a PS1 version but the loading times are horrible.

Andyliini

FFVI is my second favorite in the series, and I agree that Octopath artstyle would be great way to remake the classic. Who knows, it might happen one day, especially if Octopath Traveler sells well.
If it was made sooner rather than later, would be funny if it came out befire FFVII Remake.

Shifty

I'd like to see the octopath renderer upgraded with normal-mapped sprites that respond fully to dynamic lighting, like this:

iur

But outside of that, sure, I'd like to see SE lean more on the nostalgic spritework style.

Last edited:

Pachi72

I'd like to see the octopath renderer upgraded with normal-mapped sprites that respond fully to dynamic lighting, like this:

iur

But outside of that, sure, I'd like to see SE lean more on the nostalgic spritework style.
It really doesn't need to have that. It doesn't make the game better. It's already amazing looking. But I know what you mean.

Vawn

Banned
They already remade it!

djforrj1x1nzdy4lyitz.jpg

Who can look at this version the longest without vomiting?

Last edited:

120v

i always just wanted something like the FFIV DS remake. something like octopath would be cool but that's pie in the sky stuff

at this point, whenever it ends up getting remade i expect something along the lines of FF7R, which could go either way i guess

Pachi72

I don't wan
i always just wanted something like the FFIV DS remake. something like octopath would be cool but that's pie in the sky stuff

at this point, whenever it ends up getting remade i expect something along the lines of FF7R, which could go either way i guess
I don't want a 3D remake. I want an enhanced 2D like Octopath.

Indeed the Octopath Traveler art style evokes the one from FF6 rather perfectly. But this also becomes an issue. What would be the point of the remake them if it ends up feeling so similar? Modernizing some elements for the cuarrent audiences is nice prospect but Square kind of did that with the DS Final Fantasies remakes already.

Would rather much prefer a FF7 remake type treatment to VI, seing the settings from a more immersive perspective and fully detailed environments is way more interesting specifically for this game.

sublimit

Banned
Well i actually really liked the remakes of III and IV on DS but i would also like it if they'd remake VI with Octopath's art style.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I don't wan
I don't want a 3D remake. I want an enhanced 2D like Octopath.

But then you're kinda just playing the same game again no? 3D remakes give the game a different look thus providing a different experience from when you played it the first time around. Whether it makes for a better experience is debatable tho.

I was thinking that too right after seeing the Octopath first time.

While I certainly wouldn’t scoff at FF7-remake kind of quality, the Octo-engine would be very fitting, and I guess rather sensible approach. While it’s reminding of the classical era, the modern effects, lighting and shadows, as well as depth of field makes it look a bit more lively and compelling, and at the same time its pixel art heart leaves things for your imagination to fill.

And the music would be a priority to me anyway in FF6’s case, and I bet Octopaths composer could conjure up amazing arrangements out of the original score. Should that come to reality, I just hope, that they would keep electric guitars out of my favorite fantasy games.

Last edited:
Probably one of my favourite games of all time, first game to make me all teary-eyed

No to a remake. Square-Enix would be better to focus on making good new games. The golden era of SNES JRPGs is over, stop trying to bring it back.

A FFVI The After Years with Octopath Graphics? Yeah, that I could get behind for sure.

OH-MyCar

I'd love to see it in Octopath's engine with high-res character sprites that are indistinguishable from the original 1994 chibi designs:

ffvi_setzerrelm.jpg

That with some re-balancing, new difficulty modes and an orchestral soundtrack is my ideal FF6. I'd buy ten copies.

Lone Wolf

FFVI is my second favorite in the series, and I agree that Octopath artstyle would be great way to remake the classic. Who knows, it might happen one day, especially if Octopath Traveler sells well.
If it was made sooner rather than later, would be funny if it came out befire FFVII Remake.
What’s your favorite one?

stranno

They already remade it!

Who can look at this version the longest without vomiting?
Final Fantasy VI for mobile/PC is probably the worst remake ever seen. A stupid combination of horrible redone sprites with untouched pixelated backgrounds with amazingly awful touch menus and 3D polygonal elements in the map.

And we are talking about the same Square-Enix that remade the damn Dragon Quest VIII in Unity/vertical layout for mobiles or the same Square-Enix that "ported" Final Fantasy XIII to Android using streaming-crap. But this is like 10 times worse.

Game Boy Advance version + color + music restoration patches is still the best version of the game.

Last edited:

kischine

Am I the only one that wants a FFV remake first?
They could test the waters with FFV remake and see if it works, then work on the VI. I don't mind 3D graphics if they are good though, no need to be so retro looking, nowadays we can try something more ambitious.
Final Fantasy VI for mobile/PC is probably the worst remake ever seen.
Totally agree here.

Fbh

That would be amazing but would also make way too much sense for Square to actually do it

If by some miracle they decide to make a remake and not just simply port the ugly mobile version from now on, it's going to have AAA high end graphics, take like 10 years from announcement to release, will be divided into 3 parts and it's going to be directed by Tetsuya Nomura

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
I really wish Octopath would become a type of official aesthetic for remakes. I could imagine Dragon Quest 1-6 all doing really well with this look, as well as FF 1-6. And I can't imagine it'd cost a ton to push out that kind of remake vs the amount sold.

Gander

Banned
Whatever happened to the team behind Vagrant Story? I thought they might do something like that to modernize it. Really whatever happened to Squaresoft experimentation period.?

In the Playstation era they tried all these different genres and did them well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
First of all, If I worked at SE, I would first remake FFV (probably in Switch) and watch it sell like hot cakes before I went to FFVI. Secondly, I would buy a Switch for this.

kevm3

I think I'd like how Octopath looked better if not for that weird 'looking through the keyhole' effect where its dark around the edges.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want full remake with the gameplay UNCUCKED. Shame on you squeenix for making most games action based these days.

Jae Mara

I think Octopath has nailed an aesthetic that can work for all those 2D SNES JRPGS, Its actually the best of both worlds in a sense that you practically get to keep all the art of the original game along with that nostalgia factor that comes with it and also update the game in a way that looks a little more modern.

If in a world where they do go this route my question is what we do with the music? I guess the best option is to have both modern and old, ha!

I would want a FF4 PSP style remake or a fully 3d remake that actually looks like Amano's artwork, and for god's sake no chibi characters please.

The problem with Octopath is it's sprites. It's like they wanted to go full retro but the backgrounds look too good and the sprites and backgrounds don't compliment each other very well.
I like the 3D aspect of Octo, keep that, don't include voice overs, give it a good lighting engine so effects and whatnot pop more and I'd be all over that like driver ants stripping bones.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
5 and 6 should have had 3D remakes on the 3DS. Though I guess it's fine we got some original stuff from them like Bravely Default instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

NahaNago

I think this would work great with ff6 and would capture the charm that older games have that get lost in translation with remakes of much older games. Though I would have to say that FF14 does capture the charm of the old ff games unlike FF15.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen this mentioned I don't think.

It's still how I'd somehow imagine a remake of 6. Just keep the game mostly the same and it's perfect.

Sakura

While I like the way Octopath looks, I don't really see the point in remaking FFVI to look like that. There isn't enough visual difference to me. If you've never played FFVI before then sure it might be OK. But I already own FFVI, and I would not go and rebuy it just to play what is an essentially a slightly prettier version of it. If they are going to remake it, I'd rather they go all out. Give me what feels like a new experience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
While I like the way Octopath looks, I don't really see the point in remaking FFVI to look like that. There isn't enough visual difference to me. If you've never played FFVI before then sure it might be OK. But I already own FFVI, and I would not go and rebuy it just to play what is an essentially a slightly prettier version of it. If they are going to remake it, I'd rather the go all out. Give me what feels like a new experience.
Yeah that's how I feel as well.

They pretty much have the technology to do just about anything now.

Top Bottom