• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Ghost in the Shell: SAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
I hear the show itself is pretty good, but also heard some negative things (I guess they removed the opening for the first two episodes, wtf)...

I'd just wait until November for Adult Swim to show it. :p

Gantz

Banned
I love it. There's a lot of talking and political intrigue with some action sprinkled here and there. So it might turn some people off. Fuck Adult Swim. Download the unedited fansubs now.

FnordChan

Short version, based on having seen the first 26 episodes: Overall, it's great.

Longer version: I think the GitS manga has some great ideas, but is incomprehensible. I think the GitS movie is lovely, but dull. Fortunatly, Stand Alone complex combines the best of both worlds, with top notch animation, really solid writing, and a terrific sense of design...except for whoever decided that the Major shouldn't wear any pants. Her outfit is god-awful.

The series is split not-quite 50/50 between "stand alone" one-shots and "complex" story-arc episodes about the enigmatic Laughing Man. The one-shots vary wildly and range from subpar to pretty damn great. (Any episodes featuring the Tachikomas - goofy sentient tanks - definately fall in the great category.) The complex episodes, however, are uniformly terrific, with a mix of action, political intrigue, and just a touch of philisophical wanking. Unlike Oshii's stab at this combination, GitS:SAC doesn't make me fall asleep. GitS:SAC also gets bonus points for featuring my second favorite name-drop in anime, which takes place in episode 26.

So, yeah - overall, it's great, though a few episodes are clunkers. I haven't seen enough of the second season to comment, but if it's anything like the first 26 episodes, I expect it to be damn good. The single disc US DVD release looks to be a perfectly solid buy, though the special edition isn't what I'd call a deal.

Oh, and Matlock: dunno what you heard about the change in the opening sequence, but it's a truly minor detail. Basically, the CG heavy opening sequence wasn't ready until episode 3, so they threw together a temp opening. Fanboy whining about how the original opening was cut is just that - fanboy whining.

FnordChan

Dracos

Damn now I want to go and buy it. I need a solid anime, so I might just have to take the plunge. November is a long ways away. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom