• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Nintendo Wifi doing in Japan?

Merlin

Banned
I remember before the release of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, Nintendo said part of the reason they were making it so simple was for the Japanese audience who have very little experience with online play and were 'afraid' of it.

How is it taking off over there? Is that the reason Animal Crossing is doing sooo well compared to the previous games in the series?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Before I quit playing it due to my hands giving out from having to snake if you want to compete I noticed a lot of japanese on Mariokart.

fresquito

catfish said:
Before I quit playing it due to my hands giving out from having to snake if you want to compete I noticed a lot of japanese on Mariokart.
I don´t snake anymore and I have like 120 wins vs 60 losses. You can compete without snaking ^_^

Grug

I don't want to generalise here, but has anyone else noticed that the majority of Japanese Mario Kart players on WFC aren't very good?

«þ»

nine words said:
I don´t snake anymore and I have like 120 wins vs 60 losses. You can compete without snaking ^_^

Only if you're playing against people with like 0 wins and 5 losses.

Too bad the game doesn't have a rating system... a win to a player with 1000 wins and 0 losses is considered the same as a win against a player with 0 wins and 1000 losses.

I'd prefer that I didn't have to snake to win, snaking ruins the balance of the game by giving karts like dry bomber unlimited boosts so that items like mushrooms are rendered useless.

fresquito

Not really, there´re lots of good racers that don´t snake, and awfull racers that snake and will chose only the 8 figure circuit and Yoshi´s Falls.

nine words said:
Not really, there´re lots of good racers that don´t snake, and awfull racers that snake and will chose only the 8 figure circuit and Yoshi´s Falls.
The first time I got online one guy picked Dry Bones and Figure 8 Circuit. I still beat him so it's not impossible.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my last match I ever played I got matched with 1 guy with 16 wins and 0 losses, with 3 stars who picked toad in the Egg cart, I though "ah, okay snake race" and sure enough, green light and he starts hopping back and forward all over the place immediately.

So I did the same and beat him 3 out of 4 races, by the end of that my hands were fucking sore and I didn't have a good time, so I turned off the DS and haven't played Mario karts since. I'll start playing again when I go back to NZ, 2 of my friends finally saw the light and have DS's so we will have some battles.

I found that Japanese were no good for a while, but now they have all learned snaking as well and pretty much caught up with everyone else (due to a late release over there)

Bodom78

Grug said:
I don't want to generalise here, but has anyone else noticed that the majority of Japanese Mario Kart players on WFC aren't very good?

Generally speaking, I too have noticed this. I also notticed that they do not disconnect when losing and dont mind having another race.

demi

That's because Japan has honor!

Whereas Americans are filthy evil people who only care about numero uno and will do anything to achieve greatness.

fresquito

catfish said:
my last match I ever played I got matched with 1 guy with 16 wins and 0 losses, with 3 stars who picked toad in the Egg cart, I though "ah, okay snake race" and sure enough, green light and he starts hopping back and forward all over the place immediately.

So I did the same and beat him 3 out of 4 races, by the end of that my hands were fucking sore and I didn't have a good time, so I turned off the DS and haven't played Mario karts since. I'll start playing again when I go back to NZ, 2 of my friends finally saw the light and have DS's so we will have some battles.

I found that Japanese were no good for a while, but now they have all learned snaking as well and pretty much caught up with everyone else (due to a late release over there)
Well... I don´t know about you, but my problem with WiFi derivates from droppers rather than snakers. However, if I find a snaker and he´s good, that´s fine with me, he´ll win, I don´t really care. But I hate when I find stupid snakers that only chose Figure 8 and Yoshi´s Falls. Those people should be removed from this world, they don´t deserve to live, much less to play videogames >_<

I will win most of the times, but hell, it´s really boring to be racing through those races all the time!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nine words said:
Well... I don´t know about you, but my problem with WiFi derivates from droppers rather than snakers. However, if I find a snaker and he´s good, that´s fine with me, he´ll win, I don´t really care. But I hate when I find stupid snakers that only chose Figure 8 and Yoshi´s Falls. Those people should be removed from this world, they don´t deserve to live, much less to play videogames >_<

I will win most of the times, but hell, it´s really boring to be racing through those races all the time!

Yeah see my gripe with the game was that it was either a snaker or a dropper. And I can't really blame people for snaking, it's in the game, although I wish it wasn't. I probably wouldn't mind snaking so much (although it is a goofy exploit) if it didn't physically hurt me to perform it. I'm good at it, but it makes the game actually hurt to play, so I've given up on online (being that I can never match with a friend at all)

resetti for the next iteration of online mario kart please nintendo.

Calidor

since i play at late night i'm always racing with japanese people and yes, they aren't very good... maybe almost all of em are 10 years old kids :D

Top Bottom