• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old were you before you were able to make it on your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

Meaning, not being financially dependent on anyone, and being fully able to live, and make it on your own?

Mommy come help me!!!!

Acutlly i think i may be able to make it on my own right now, but i would only have enough to buy food and maybe one computer game / DVD / CD a month and then the rent and the bills and the.....

*Faints*

I am staying at home for a while more thank you very much!!!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm 21, living at an apartment in the city at Brisbane. Have a job, pay my own bills, groceries etc.

Hooker

I could have been at 18, I was making 3.5g a month. I lived with my parents but could have rented any appartment I wanted with that salary I reckon. But I wasn't ready to live on my own at that point.

Went to study abroad when I was 19. My dad insists on giving me 200 bucks each month so I won't have to loan as much from the bank/scholarship type thingy. I can make it easily without (Have a job and 250 bucks a month overhead on the scholarship which I'm able to take when I want)

So I guess it was 19 for me

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
My friends cousin is 25 and he lives with his parens, but thats because he cant be bothered paying for his own food, rent, electricity and other stuff. You may think he's a loser for doing that, but he managed to set up his own fish and chip store and earns a fuckload of money.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'll be able to make it on my own when I'm 22. After I graduate from College in May, I should be cut off completely. My father will give me whats left in my college fund and I'm on my own whether I decide to do grad school or work.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
26 years old... now I am 27, and still making it on my own. (I started school late, and I paid for my own school while living with pops)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I was 21 when I started working and quickly got out of my parents very watchful sight. Having a paranoid cop as a father is not something I enjoyed.

Suerte

I will once I finish my course at Uni, there's no way I could afford to make it on my own at the moment. Unless I found a pimp/sugar daddy/dying millionaire.

Note to self: find a pimp/sugar daddy/dying millionaire.

I have one more year of school left after this semester. But I am to the point where I cannot get myself to go to class. I absoltely hate it. I want to take time off but being so close I wonder if it'll feel better in the long run to not take time off.

I'm just very much ready to live on my own away from Mid West america.

Iceman

Funny thing, I was almost completely self reliant from 1994-1998 (17 years of age to 20) when I was in college because I had a full-ride scholarship. But afterwards I went to grad school and started working part time there was absolutely no way I could make it on my own for those 4 years in San Diego. Now, earning my PhD in Madison I'm making it on my own with next to no income (3 bedroom apartment, cable, internet, groceries, heating & electricity, car payments, maintenance, gas, insurance, telephone, entertainment). So I would say 25 years old.

White Man

Moved out when I was 17. Went to college about a year later. Had to move back with the family when I was 21. Then I was kind of trapped in certain bad situations until I could get away at 23.

teiresias

I'll be 26 in May and I'm staying with my dad while I finish this last year of graduate school for my Masters of Science (last year meaning I should finish in December). Most of my undergrad time I stayed at home too since school was like 20 minutes away. I lived away from home my first year in college when I was at an out-of-state school and last year I lived on my own in an apt. in the town my grad school university is in (and I occasionaly live down in Hampton, VA when I intern down there). The year I lived at my grad school I actually ended up making 23k that year between my internship, my university stipend, and another part-time job, but living expenses in the college town are crazy (relative to Central Virginia) so not alot of that 23k stuck around very long.

Frankly, if you can live at home when you're in school I think it's great, because it helps save money, but it's important to realize that the only expenses I don't pay when I'm at my dad's place are my living expenses (rent, some food though I mainly buy my own food, utilities, that kind of thing). Everything else I pay myself - car payments, health insurance, car insurance, phone bills, credit card bills, miscellaneous expenses, etc. - I NEVER hit anyone up for cash - NEVER.

Of course, the appropriateness of this also has to do with your relationship with your parents. My relationship with them is fine, everyone except the older parts of my extended family know I'm gay, and my social life is fine, I come and go as I please whenever I please because they're not over-protective or anal and I don't take undue advantage of the good situation I'm in (nor do I take it for granted, I've been lucky in basically having a free-ride financial-wise in my entire education).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Last Summer (just turned 20).

I can make it now even with college expenses, but my parents are paying tuition anyways. They're doing that because it wouldn't be fair to me because they paid for my sister almost the whole way (she had scholarships her last year, and she paid for her own apartment). That and they realize I wouldn't be able to afford investing in IRAs now and whatnot. Investing now will eclipse any attempt to invest when I'm 40+, and they realize that. If I could have the some $1000-2000 I've lost to SS taxes and future SS taxes, I'd be set for a multi-million dollar retirement unless we go into a depression or something.

I would be getting a full ride on scholarships, but my university is kind enough to disqualify me for many scholarships because I'm in their co-operate engineering program.

MoxManiac

22 and still at home. Wish I made more money. Currently temping for $9.75, hopefully more if they bring me on permanently. Still, I can't live off that, esp since I gotta figure out how to pay for school.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I COULD make it on my own right now. But I wouldnt have ANY extra cash at all. So screw that I'll keep eating mommy and daddy's food a while longer.

AntoneM

22, but mainly because I was in school until then, I'm sure I could have made it before then, all you need is an average paying fulltime job and you'll be set, depending on where you live. I was able to make it in Phoenix on $27,000/year until I went back to school.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm 22 and financially able to do it, but I prefer to live at home, it's a good way to save money. I'm not in any hurry to get out, besides instead of renting, I'd rather save up a few years and put a down payment out on a house (housing costs here are some of the most expensive in the nation).

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Well, I'm 21 and still in college 3,000 miles away from home, but I have a full scholarship to a $40,000 university so I guess I'm kinda making it on my own :?

Zeenbor

18... Hell, I left to live in another country (Canada). It was going from suburbia to city life. And a bi-lingual community. (I live in Montreal.)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I was 17 when I left home.

Making it own your own is ridiculously easy.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I was 19 when I moved into my apartment, and I'm still there now (just about 21). I'm a full-time student, but I still pay all my bills and sometimes even have a little money left over to spend (although certainly not a significant amount...I consider myself lucky if I get to buy a videogame or two every month).

Really, if you're even halfway responsible, it's not too hard. It also helps if you were raised to work from an early age (I've been employed for at least 16 hours a week ever since about a month after my 15th birthday).

DCX

DCX
25...and last year...after a divorce....whirlwind "relationship" with an ex...here i am...alone with my 50" TV....sad...very sad...

DCX

It's too good living at home. I'm 21 as well, and I can tell I'm gonna miss living at home. I pay £100 a month (£25 per week approx). It'll cost a lot more than that when I move out. Which will cut into my lifestyle in a hard way. I'm gonna have to look for better jobs.

And not that I had any hope of anything but the single life, but I think that'll probably be best in the long run. I like spending shitloads on stuff I don't really need. Like movies, games and gadgets. I can't imagine having to pay for my own place, pay to drive, pay for stuff I like AND pay maintenance on a girlfriend/wife.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I left my parents' Tel-Aviv (Israel) apartment at the age of 21.

But I didn't just leave home, I left the country. I've been living in NY since that age, for the past 4.5 years, studying, working, and supporting myself (and my hopeless gaming habit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom