• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to read your E-mail on your Wii

Juice

Hey guys, I just thought of a way to read your e-mail easily enough on your Wii. This should work with anything that uses e-mail rules to auto-forward e-mails you receive to a certain address, but I use Gmail, so I'll use its terminology:

1. Add your e-mail address to your address book on your Wii.
2. Reply to the confirmation e-mail and wait for the link to bolden (~15mins).
3. Meanwhile, set up a filter (next to the search bar) on your Gmail account and then either input no search terms and click next (for a catch-all) or do as I did and add your family and friends' addresses with "OR" separating them to the "From" field (e.g. only input from: "dad@gmail.com OR mom@gmail.com", etc).
4. Clicking next, check "forward to this address" and enter your wonky w0834280234028@wii.com address as you've already obtained from your confirmation e-mail.
5. Click to apply the filter.

Now it should be such that the e-mails you've requested to be forwarded will automatically be forwarded to your Wii from you (with which you're already registered).

Just thought of this as a quick and easy to start getting my e-mail of note on my Wii short of waiting a month for the Opera browser to come out. Your mileage may vary.

NOTE: In this Gmail-specific example, the Wii will only recognize e-mails from people whom you've already registered addresses back-and-forth with; still useful, though, since they don't have to explicitly e-mail your weird wii address anymore.

You could get around this by using a mail client like Mail.app or Outlook and actually setting the rule up to replace your own e-mail address in the "from" line if they don't already.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I thought about doing this earlier, but I figured it'd be a bitch to get all that spam on my Wii. I didn't think of using a filter, though. Good stuff :p

Juice

Yeah, at least with this approach, since Gmail doesn't touch the FROM line apparently in these e-mails, only mail that's from people who've you've confirmed addresses with previously will go through anyway (even if the filter is a catch-all).

What that buys you is effectively a free alias to your wii-mail address to whatever your current e/gmail address is. Pretty neat! Although I think my drab title will probably have this thread be lost in the mess.

Or wait for the Opera browser and actually go to Gmail (if it actually supports using it)? j/k!!! (and yes I saw that you commented about this, but I couldn't help pointing out the obvious)

Nice, I'm going to set this up right now, thanks for the info!

JSR

Verboten said:
Is there something wrong with my Wii or are the News and Weather Channels not available yet?
They're not up yet. The Forecast Channel will launch on December 20, with the News Channel following on January 27.

Top Bottom