• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rate each of the Switch's 3 years?

Jubenhimer

We're now 2.5 years into the Nintendo Switch's life. So far we've had ups and downs, but it's safe to say the system is leagues beyond the absolute critical and commercial disaster that the Wii U was. So with that said, how would you rank each of the Switch's 3 years?

2017 - The Switch started off with a bang. The long awaited Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild finally arrived after numerous delays, and was just as bit amazing as everyone expected. While the game was available on the Wii U, most people just bought the Switch version. Alongside that, the system launched with the decent, yet grossly overpriced 1-2 Switch, and the suprise hidden gem, Snipperclips. And the hits just kept coming. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game out and brought all the DLC and major improvements over the original version of the game. Then Summer gave us the 1-2 punch of ARMS and Splatoon 2. Finally, we ended with another Wii U port, Pokken Tournament DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Super Mario Odyssey, which was equally as hyped and excellent as Breath of the Wild, and like BotW, was also nominated for GotY, but BotW actually won. So yeah, the Switch couldn't have gotten off to a better start, and it was a fantastic first year for the console. A+

2018 - With how good 2017 was, 2018 was always destined to look lackluster in comparison. Not that it was a bad year, but it was obviously a buffer year and transitional period after the stellar launch 2017 brought. Nintendo's first party lineup was fairly mediocre. Half of it was Wii U ports, the other half was lower budget games that were fleshed out with more content over the years. Nintendo Labo released to decent reviews and solid success. Super Mario Party, while still lacking in some areas, was a nice return to form for the series that had suffered with the dreaded Car mechanic for years, Pokemon Let's Go! ended up being a lot better than what people initially anticipated. And Smash was the big showstopper title that everyone was waiting for, and it didn't disappoint. So while it was fairly lacking in first party games, third party support was a big improvement. The Switch saw a lot of indie titles, and AA multi-platform games in 2018, several exclusives like Octopath Traveler, even a few ports of older AAA titles and remasters. So overall, it was a decent year that if nothing else, kept the system afloat. B-

2019 - While the year isn't quite over yet, so far it's been a great year for the Switch. Not as good as 2017, but still really good none the less. Similar to last year, 2019 had a bit of a mediocre start. Yoshi came out after being delayed from last year, and the Nintendo Switch Online exclusive Tetris 99 became a surprise hit. Then we had Box Boy + Box Girl, and the Labo VR Kit. And that's it as far as new first party games were concerned. Fortunately, June onward, picked up with Cadence of Hyrule and Super Mario Maker 2 hitting June, July was packed with Marvel Ultimate Aliance 3 and Fire Emblem Three Houses. This month sees the release of Platinum Game's Astral Chain, and coming in September we have Zelda: Link's Awakening, with Luigi's Mansion in October, and finnally Pokemon Sword and Shield in November. That's not getting into potential tricks Nintendo could still have up their sleve. Likewise, third party support is also solid this year, perhaps moreso. Indies are doing really well as always, and the Switch is now starting to regularly get multiplatform AA titles like Crash and others. Plus more exclusives like Travis Strikes Again, Daemon X Machina, Ninjala, an others. We're not done yet, but so far, it's a solid A

So far, all three years for the Switch were good in their own way. 2017 was a fantastic start, 2018 was a down year, but still managed to be okay, and 2019 is a great rise up.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
2017 and 2019 are the best year for Switch.

2018 wasn’t the best but it I got games like Octopath and Torna The Golden Country that really enjoyed.

cr0w

Old Member
I still only own or play Breath of the Wild. Nintendo consoles are almost strictly Zelda machines to me anyway, so I'm not really dogging it. Only future games on my list are the Zelda sequel and Metroid.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me it is one of the best Nintendo consoles, I am a user who hates the Nintendo Wii, the N64 and never had the WiiU speaks, In fact it is an excellent console for the mature titles, such as Survival Horror, Visual Novels, 2D and Nintendo exclusive, I am satisfied with the console.

I give it 9, because obviously it needs to be more powerful and the "Hard Disk" is scarce for today's standards, but the rest is excellent ... the original Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Switch Lite, there would give a 7 by design

⭐⭐⭐⭐ of 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
2017 was very good for a launch year. Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey etc.

2018 was pretty bland for me. A lot of games I bought to have something to play and ended up not liking like Octopath Traveler. Smash was good with a lot of single player content. Pokémon Let’s Go was good as well, though I played that this year.

This year started slow, but second half is great with Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Link’s Awakening, Luigi’s Mansion 3 etc.

Codes 208

17 > 19 > 18

I still need to play pokemon and zelda: LAR before i make a final judgement on this year, but overall still a pretty damn good year with games like yoshis crafted world and mario maker 2, FE:TH. Last year was still pretty good (hyrule warriors, pokemon lets go, super mario party, smash bros) but so far 2017 was just the roflstomp nintendo needed to get me back on board (botw, super mario odyssey, splatoon 2 and mario kart 8:d, just heavy hitter after heavy hitter. Port of a dead system or not.)

Cattlyst

When the Switch first launched, I completely wrote it off. I just wasn't interested and the lack of new games in the first few months added to my confirmation bias that it was best to avoid the platform altogether. I watched the library grow though, and found myself curious about ports of big games from other systems. This year I took the plunge and bought one, and in the 3-4 months I've owned it, my Switch has become the only thing I really play on. My PS4 is reserved for the 'big' releases but I find myself playing all manner of indie games on the Switch for hours (when I can!). So to answer the question, I'm a later comer but the library has only improved over time.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
2017 would get an 8 for me. The actual launch of the console, BotW was a big release and pretty good. SMO was also a big release but was disappointing for me. MK8 is the best selling Switch game, but it’s also a Wii U port. So overall, 2017 was pretty good.

2018 gets the same ranking, and the only reason it has that many points is solely because of Smash Bros. This was a huge release and still my favorite Switch exclusive. Besides that, the year had basically nothing in terms of new Switch exclusives for me, the only other notable release being the DKTF port which was a Wii U game and added no new features. So, Smash 5 is great, but it’s hard to say the year was really good because everything else was so disappointing.

2019 is looking to get...an 8 too I think. LA remake looks good. Pokémon is a big release but I’m not that interested in it. There’s also a lower resolution port of Crash Team Racing. At least Banjo Kazooie is coming as Smash Bros DLC, and probably another character by the end of the year.

So...yeah. 8, 8, and 8 for me. Maybe 2017 gets an 8.5. It’s hard to really rank them, because 2018 has my favorite game they released by far but also is my least favorite year overall. While 2017 and 2019 have a few more things overall. So the years all end up being pretty good to me.

dirthead

Banned
Switch is the second Nintendo machine I skipped. No games compelling enough for me to take it in the pants on some dumb proprietary machine.

Nintendo hasn't had a truly great console since the GC. The GC had some legitimate heavy hitters (Metroid Prime, RE4).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ask me again when Pokémon and Luigi's Mansion 3 are both out.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
2017 - amazing. one if the best lunch year of any console ever ( zelda botw - Mario Odyssey - doom - SteamWorld Dig 2 -Xenoblade Chronicles 2 )

2018 - it was good but it should've been better

2019 - can't stop playing !! Game after game each month

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
2017 it was super, 2018 my Switch collected dust mostly and I busted my ass cleaning. 2019 so far is better than 2018 and it haven’t even finished

Birdo

Banned
The Switch is just a Zelda and Mario machine to me so....

2017 - Great
2018 - Boring
2019 - Boring

Top Bottom