• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's Yu-Gi-Oh been lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been going on a bit of a nostalgia trip lately just randomly looking up old Yu-Gi-Oh monsters on Google images. Man, that series had some cool monsters. Lots of nice toys, too.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid, but I still have my deck of cards lying around in a drawer. Last I watched was Yu-Gi-Oh GX when it aired on 4Kids I think it was. Just lost interest by the time 5Ds started. I recall that a new movie was announced a while ago, but I haven't paid any attention to it since. Quick Google search says it'll be released in the US next month.

So, is Yu-Gi-Oh still popular, out of curiosity? Have the anime spin-offs been treating the fans well? I remember hearing a year or two back that Yu-Gi-Oh was regaining popularity, but I haven't been keeping up with any of that.

SgtCobra

I don't know about Yu-Gi-Oh but I heard Beyblade is back!

Would like to know this as well, loved the anime and the TCG as a kid.

Fj0823

Still very popular. Its the best selling trading card game

Current series is really really good. Like better than the original good. The series before it was the low point of the franchise and a slap in the face to fans.

Game is nowhere near the way it was, a lot of new mechanics and monsters have been introduced

Quoting myself from another thread

Synchro Monsters
latest
For Synchro Summons you need a Tuner Monster, (Tuner is a subtype like "union" or "toon") and your regular monsters.
When you have a tuner monster and any number of non-tuner monsters on the field you can send them to the graveyard and add their levels (Stars) then you can special summon a Synchro Monster in your Extra Deck (previously Fusion deck) whose level is EXACTLY the same as the sum of the levels of the monsters you sent to the grave.

For example: You have a level 3 tuner "Junk Synchron" and a classic level 5 "Curse of Dragon" in your field. Send them both to the grave and you get a level 8 Synchro, "Stardust Dragon" (As 3+5=8)

You could also have used a level 2 tuner, a level 4 non tuner and another level 2 non tuner for the same monster (as 2+4+2=8). But remember, only 1 Tuner per Synchro Summon

Synchro monsters will tell you if they have any other restrictions for their Synchro Summon, but most of them will just say "1 Tuner + 1 or more non Tuner Monsters" as their requirement.

Xyz Monsters (Pronounced Ik-Seez).

Xyz Monsters can be summoned using monsters with the same level, no need for tuners here.

You might notice Xyz monsters have black stars located at the opposite side of the card. That's because Xyz monsters don't have a Level, they have a Rank (They are immune to any effect that affects levels and can't be used for Synchro)

For an Xyz Summon you need to control two monster with the same level. stack them together and put an Xyz of an equal Rank from your Extra Deck on top. The cards beneath the Xyz Monster are now part of the monster and their effects will ask you to "Detach" them (Send them to the graveyard) that means, the monsters you use for the summon become ammunition for the Xyz Monster's abilities.

The cards beneath an Xyz Monster do NOT count as cards on the field

Now for an example. To summon the Rank 7 “Red-Eyes” above, just stack two level 7 monsters you control, and put “Red Eyes" on top. To use its effect, just send the monster beneath him to the graveyard.

Just like Synchros many Xyz monsters will put some restrictions on the monsters they need to be Xyz summoned, however the most basic ones only demand “2 Level X Monsters”

Pendulum Monsters
This ones are arguably the most complicated of them all, but also the most powerful, please take your time to master these guys as they are sure to become the next big thing.

As you can see, Pendulum cards have 2 effect boxes, and some red and blue arrows called "Scales"

Pendulums go in your normal deck (not the extra deck) and you can summon them as regular monsters, OR activate them as spells in the new Pendulum Zones of the field

If you activate them as spells, they use their "spell mode" effect on the top box and remain on the Pendulum Zone until they are forcefuly removed, you can't replace them like Field Spells.

When Pendulum Monsters are destroyed, regardless of which zone they were in, they are NOT sent to the graveyard, they'll go to your extra deck. Face-Up.

To Pendulum Summon monsters, you need 2 activated Pendulum Monsters in the Pendulum Zones.You can use the Pendulum Summon only Once per turn.

First, look at the "scales" of each pendulum monster (the red/blue arrows). In a Pendulum Summon you can summon ANY NUMBER of monsters in your hand or Pendulums in your Extra Deck as long as these 2 conditions are met.

1-Their levels are inbetween the values of the scales of the activated cards in your pendulum zones.
2- They don't have any summon restriction, like Rituals or cards that state “Cannot be Special Summoned”

Now for an example. If I activated a a "Scale" 1 Pendulum Monster, and another with a Scale of 10. I can pendulum summon 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragons in my hand. As their levels (8 each) are inbetween 1 and 10

this video from Konami can really help you under

Game is really diverse and fun now!!

rrvv

The anime is pretty rad. Current season is pretty much crisis crossover. The rules is getting more complicated though

I can only speak to the TCG itself, but to me it's funner than ever, and I play online daily. My local card shop is still popping off when Yugioh is the weekly tourney too.

Arc-v is pretty good even if the latest arcs have been much weaker than some of the earlier stuff and a bunch of great characters (including the main heroine) were shafted kind of hard

First arc of 5ds was also fantastic even if it had a dip in quality after that (due at least in prt to having to rewrite a lot of what was planned because of a scandal with one of the voice actors)

Slythe

I stopped playing around 2006. Tried playing a pickup game a few months ago and he started busting out all these new mechanics. I couldn't even play.

Yugioh, as stated above, has fundamentally changed from the old days.

Fj0823

Is it really?
Didn't know that, thought it would be MtG or Pokemon.

I just bought the steam game of Yugioh, love digital. Can't be bothered with CCG, but I'm down with LCG. Android Netrunner <3

It won a best selling card game Guiness back in 09.

Magic could be outselling it atm as the horse race is always between those two, Pokemon is far behind.

evanmisha

Is the anime still almost always laughably bad looking? I'm trudging through GX right now and I can't get over how cheap every episode is and the tiny pieces of 5D's that I've seen didn't look much better.

nickgia

GX is my favorite series, mainly becuase of season 4 and that each duel only lasts up to two episodes. It shows true progression of the main character which many other series don't.

5DS is great too, but Yusei has no flaws which was always annoying.

Zexal was ok. Yuma was annoying but the final battle between him and
Shark
made up for some of the show.

Arc-V would be great if it didn't include Yuya. He is so annoying with his performance showboating, which most of the time is undeserved. The show is now going places because its wrapping up, but I like all the supporting charters much more than Yuya.

Arc-v is pretty good even if the latest arcs have been much weaker than some of the earlier stuff and a bunch of great characters (including the main heroine) were shafted kind of hard

First arc of 5ds was also fantastic even if it had a dip in quality after that (due at least in prt to having to rewrite a lot of what was planned because of a scandal with one of the voice actors)
Uh???

Current series is really really good. Like better than the original good. The series before it was the low point of the franchise and a slap in the face to fans.

Game is nowhere near the way it was, a lot of new mechanics and monsters have been introduced

That Red-Eyes card looks pretty good. It must be new. Is there anywhere to play Yugi online now since DN shutdown?

Regiruler

There's some really dumb power creep heading straight to the TCG-side in the form of Zoodiac but otherwise the game's fine.

Regiruler

Is it really?
Didn't know that, thought it would be MtG or Pokemon.

I just bought the steam game of Yugioh, love digital. Can't be bothered with CCG, but I'm down with LCG. Android Netrunner <3

To my knowledge YGO demolishes Magic in a lot of international markets.

Domestically Magic is stronger.
Pokemon is weird, in a way it's overshadowed by the video games so the card game never really saw much focus.

Tagyhag

Can't speak for the series, I only watched the first season, but looking at the new protagonists they all look so stupid, even worse than Yugi (Aside from the 5D dude).

The game itself, if I'm being really honest, has changed way too much for my liking.

I really liked the game before Synchro, XYZ, and Pendulum cards. I completely understand why they're there now, and I understand that they add to the complexity and bring more choices to the game but they're just personally not my cup of tea. Especially since you can much more easily lose the game in the first 2-3 turns now.

I can still have a good time, I enjoy the draft play of Yugioh Legacy of Duelist (Any other yugioh game that has draft play?) but I enjoy the older games like Nightmare Troubadour or World Championship 2006 a lot more.

Regiruler

I really liked the game before Synchro, XYZ, and Pendulum cards. I completely understand why they're there now, and I understand that they add to the complexity and bring more choices to the game but they're just personally not my cup of tea. Especially since you can much more easily lose the game in the first 2-3 turns now.

The power creep you're referring to is mostly independent of whatever extra deck mechanic they're pushing. I.e. they can accelerate the game using ritual monsters if they really want to.

There have been slow xyz formats, both of which I played in. I wasn't here for synchro, and pendulum came at a time where everything was at full speed so it had to be set at a certain velocity to keep up.
It was dubbed, just not aired on tv. It's on their official site.

That's the official sub.

Fat4all

Banned
I used to be into it a good bit, but once I went in on NtG I've never been able to get back to it.

I have a friend who tells me all about some of the changes and new stuff that has come over time, and it sounds pretty neat, but I've invested too much time and money into MtG to run with two cards games at once.

Infinite

i stopped playing after my dinosaur deck got stolen. This is around the time when you had that dinosaur XYZ that was a walking solemn judgment or something. So good and fun. i remember the game being incredibly volatile to point where dudes can spam the field with synchros and xyzs that stop you from doing shit on your turn. I was really good at the game before that. Won plenty of local tournaments in the nyc area but I couldnt see myself investing heavy into another deck. Game was a huge money sink and I could no longer justify it at that point in my life especially starting from scratch basically. If Konami has a hearthstone like yugioh game up with that keeps up to date with the current boosters i might give it a go.

Ah, yes, I know the game's changed a lot over the years. I already knew of the existence of synchro and Xyz monsters, but I didn't know how they worked. Pendulum monsters are entirely new to me. Real informative post!

Nice to hear Yu-Gi-Oh's still going strong. Might give the series a shot again someday.

That Red-Eyes card looks pretty good. It must be new. Is there anywhere to play Yugi online now since DN shutdown?

i stopped playing after my dinosaur deck got stolen. This is around the time when you had that dinosaur XYZ that was a walking solemn judgment or something. So good and fun. i remember the game being incredibly volatile to point where dudes can spam the field with synchros and xyzs that stop you from doing shit on your turn. I was really good at the game before that. Won plenty of local tournaments in the nyc area but I couldnt see myself investing heavy into another deck. Game was a huge money sink and I could no longer justify it at that point in my life especially starting from scratch basically. If Konami has a hearthstone like yugioh game up with that keeps up to date with the current boosters i might give it a go.

There is an app called ygopro (https://www.facebook.com/ygopropercy/) that has every card in the game, a versus a.i. mode (awesome for practice and learning about new cards and mechanics), and also a matchmaking server for PvP. It got a cease and desist recently but you can find it via torrent.

Tagyhag

The power creep you're referring to is mostly independent of whatever extra deck mechanic they're pushing. I.e. they can accelerate the game using ritual monsters if they really want to.

There have been slow xyz formats, both of which I played in. I wasn't here for synchro, and pendulum came at a time where everything was at full speed so it had to be set at a certain velocity to keep up.

Yeah I'm really talking about the video games, I don't play the real card game so I don't follow the metas.

But I swear, the AI in Legacy of Duelist cheats lol. They either get the best starting hand, enough to kill me in the first turn, or they get the best cards/perfect counters during draft play. And I don't really get that in the older games.

jeremy1456

I used to be a fan of the game.

Honestly back out now. It is overly complicated and beyond stupid now.

Pendulum decks and effect monsters fucking destroy what once was fun.

johnsmith

remember me

What? I find it hard to believe it outsells magic.

But yeah, there's still tons of people playing the game. I can't believe they still haven't redesigned the card design. It still looks like it's stuck in the 90s, where as pokemon and magic both look way better these days.

Gnome

Looks about as silly as it's always been and just as wallet draining. I should probably leave here before I buy some cards.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Power creep ruined it for me. I enjoyed playing it back when I was in high school before all the syncro, XYZ, etc, tried to get back into it recently but couldn't.

Fj0823

i remember the wind ups and how they would summon like 20 monsters turn 1 and then prevent you from doing anything on your turn

Oh Yeah, those were some broken motherfuckers.

The Dragon Rulers Broke the game too at some point.

Thankfully these days Konami not only bans cards. Now they nerf the texts too. The most recent text in a Card is always considered the official text.

This allows them to take fan favorite cards off the ban list.

Some notable nerfs include Chaos Emperor Dragon and Sangan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

wait what scandal, first I've heard of this.

Fj0823

wait what scandal, first I've heard of this.

Carly's VA was found out to be a member of a weird sexual/religious cult that targeted young people to make them join.

She was fired, and to avoid further issues they rewrote the 3rd season to avoid including cultist themes and also Porygon' Carly as much as possible

That's why Carly suddenly stops being Jack's love interest and becomes more of an annoying fangirl.

And why Ylliaster stops being an Inca Cult and become...
loltimetravelers

It sucks. But hey, seasons 1-2 were God tier and season 3 turned out decent enough

JudgeN

Carly's VA was found out to be a member of a weird sexual/religious cult that targeted young people to make them join.

She was fired, and to avoid further issues they rewrote the 3rd season to avoid including cultist themes.

That's why Carly suddenly stops being Jack's love interest and becomes more of a fangirl.

loltimetravelers

It sucks. But hey, seasons 1-2 were God tier

Holy shit I just recently watched 5Ds for the first time and wonder why she fell out of Jack life.

Ray Down

Banned

She was fired, and to avoid further issues they rewrote the 3rd season to avoid including cultist themes and also Porygon' Carly as much as possible

That's why Carly suddenly stops being Jack's love interest and becomes more of an annoying fangirl.

loltimetravelers

It sucks. But hey, seasons 1-2 were God tier and season 3 turned out decent enough

Jesus....

Galang

Banned
I've been thinking about buying the yugioh game that just came out steam, but I'm not sure I can get used to all these new cards. I followed the game pretty seriously for the first few years and I'm feeling pretty nostalgic... but man... looking up some of these cards... They already were going a bit overboard with effects when I left, but it seems they went straight off the deep end. Think I'll just settle for one of the gba or ds games

Fj0823

I've been thinking about buying the yugioh game that just came out steam, but I'm not sure I can get used to all these new cards. I followed the game pretty seriously for the first few years and I'm feeling pretty nostalgic... but man... looking up some of these cards... They already were going a bit overboard with effects when I left, but it seems they went straight off the deep end. Think I'll just settle for one of the gba or ds games

The steam one is great because it introduces the new mechanics little by little during the main campaign. It has really good tutorials too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom