• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(HUGE Inteview) Mark Rein - Next Gen games ARE going to be 20GB, Pricing, & more...

You can't really compare a PC disc size to a console's version of the same game. PC games need to have multiple resolution sets of textures & associated layers, bitmaps, and other miscellaneous small visual stuff. Take that out and there's a lot less if you're targetting one native resolution to work in. For sound, I can only imagine that technically lossless audio for all things is a waste of media space/RAM if it comes down to it. There's a lot more effective compression that can be used in the new machines since they'll both have a lot more CPU resources, anyway. Worst case scenario is that MS will have to plunk down and license new current-DVD disc space enhancements tech.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Wha? I was under the impression that they were close to 4gb (San Andreas, at least). Dummy data perhaps?
Yeah, PS2 GTASA is around 4GB, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't include any dummy data. Most of that is music though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MightyHedgehog said:
You can't really compare a PC disc size to a console's version of the same game. PC games need to have multiple resolution sets of textures & associated layers, bitmaps, and other miscellaneous small visual stuff. Take that out and there's a lot less if you're targetting one native resolution to work in. For sound, I can only imagine that technically lossless audio for all things is a waste of media space/RAM if it comes down to it. There's a lot more effective compression that can be used in the new machines since they'll both have a lot more CPU resources, anyway. Worst case scenario is that MS will have to plunk down and license new current-DVD disc space enhancements tech.
Typically seems like the opposite to me...

A PC disc can compress the hell out of everything and pay no attention to data organization. It's just a giant data dump that will be de-compressed and placed on a hard dirve.

With a console game, where data is read from the disc during gameplay, a lot of attention needs to be given to how a disc is assembled. This often even results in duplicate data showing up on the disc.

dark10x said:
Typically seems like the opposite to me...

A PC disc can compress the hell out of everything and pay no attention to data organization. It's just a giant data dump that will be de-compressed and placed on a hard dirve.

With a console game, where data is read from the disc during gameplay, a lot of attention needs to be given to how a disc is assembled. This often even results in duplicate data showing up on the disc.

No, you're right. I got confused and was thinking about the actual amount of data on the disc. A little stoned and tired...

jarrod

Banned
In terms of superficially comparable capacity and horsepower, I'm expecting something along the lines of...

PlayStation 3 = Xbox

Xbox 360 = Gamecube

Revolution = PSP

Mooreberg

Does this mean we can finally get all PC games shipped on DVD-ROM to all retailers, or are they going to have a 25-disc CD-ROM schmuck edition?

I've always loved how publishers never had a problem shipping games that need at least a 128MB card to run smooth, but assume a $30 DVD-ROM drive is beyond the reach of consumers. :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KLee said:
It seems like 7 of the 8.5GBs are usable for game data...why that is, I don't know..
Part of the reason would be that a DVD-9 disc actually holds 7.9GB of data, not 8.5. :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yes, and tommorow we will see Ferarri re-release all their cars with 10% higher top speeds after they redefine the way we measure meters.

Cuth

dark10x said:
I'll be curious to see how much that helps...

Obviously, this next-generation is going to focus on many different texture layers in order to achieve a variety of results.

I'm not sure how accurate this would be, but let's take a look at Doom 3. D3 used three different layers per surface (diffuse, specular, normal). The textures required quite a bit of disk space for storage and also used a ton of video memory. If you were to compress all three layers, the end result was a rather muddy looking texture. Just compressing the specular and diffuse layers gives you much better results, but still requires a at least 256mb of video ram.

Thing is, these textures do not appear particularly sharp or high-res when playing. They certainly aren't blurry, but they lack the razor sharp appearance of less complex surfaces in many other PC games. If textures this gen use a similar technique, but with higher resolution base assets, the storage space and ram requirements seem as if they will jump up.
Yes, DXTC can be a problem with multiple layers. It doesn't seem a very good compression method to me, from the few images I've seen (some time ago I found on the net a free program to compress images with DXTC and I've tried it with a few images just because I was curious about the results).

But I forgot we are talking about methods to save space on DVD, not necessarily on main memory. :) They can use any kind of compression they want to store the textures on DVD, unpacking the data in main memory.

The devs will have to do a little work to save space. Something like this, from top to bottom:
- if the quality of the texture is not critical, use for it DXTC/3Dc compression (space saved both on DVD and on main RAM, less bandwidth used to transfer the data around the system)
- if the results with DXTC/3Dc is poor, try other compression methods, like JPEG. Unpack the data in main memory (saving space on DVD)
- if the texture quality is really critical, use a lossless compression method (just a little DVD space saved)

I'm pretty sure they already do this sometimes, at least for some GC games and PC games on CDs.

Of course the big question is: will all this be enough to fit a big next-gen game on a DVD? We'll see, I suppose :)

It seems that UE3 uses a similar method for texturing. If Epic can cram it onto one DVD9, I think that might be a good sign for other X360 games. I'll be curious to see just how all of the textures end up looking when I'm playing it on an actual 360.
We need GoW at launch. :D

Andrew2

Banned
^^A little correction if I might, but doesn't texture compression just reduce the memory footprint rather than the physical size of the texture itself? Aside from that, how long has DXTC been around? I ask because I'm only familiar with S3TC.

As long as I have alot of fun, polished and great looking and sounding HD games running at 60fps I'm perfectly willing to swap disks every once and a while. I hope developers don't skimp to save disk space or blame shortcomings on disk space.

Having to change disks are the least of my worries -- I did it quite a few times on PS, DC, and Cube.

Top Bottom