• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have Ascended boys! (Need Guidance)

HTK

Banned
As some of you may know I've been trying to build a pc for quite some time. I think at the moment you can find great prices and almost MSRP prices on GPU's that are well in stock. So here's what I'm going with.

Purchased Parts
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3
  • WD Black SN 850 2TB M.2
  • HX 1000w 80+ Platinum
  • NZXT H510 Flow
  • 2x Noctua 140mm Fans
  • 1x Noctua 120mm Fan Parts
These are the parts/combos below I've been wrastling with all day so if you have any suggestions please jump in. I'll be visiting my Microcenter tomorrow to conclude the build.
  1. i9-12900k + MSI MPG Edge DDR5 + G.Skill Trident Z5 CL32 = $1,309.97
  2. i9-12900k + MSI MPG Edge DDR4 + RipJaws V 14-15-15-35 = $1,119.97
  3. i7-12700k + MSI MPG Edge DDR4 + RipJaws V 14-15-15-35 = $919.98
  4. i7-12700k + MSI MPG Edge DDR5 + G.Skill Trident Z5 CL32 = $1,109.97
Memory Kit Details:
Ripjaws V 14-15-15-35 Samsung B-Dies and one of the fastest DDR4's available. $269.99
G.Skill Trident Z5 the fastest DDR5 kit I could find. $449.99

What do you guys think?

Note: This is for gaming, streaming, and video editing.

Also when I say almost MSRP GPUs:
Nvidia 3080 Ti MSRP = $1199.99

EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 = $1299.99 with the rebate they got going on. I believe I would have paid more for a EVGA card anyway with the cooler and performance so that's why I say pretty much MSRP.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
What is the actual price you're paying at the counter for that 1300 dollar card ? Since in america any msrp is not actually that. Is the card actually 1400$ ? If it is, i'd take the normal 3080 that should be around 1000 now, no ?

HTK

Banned
What is the actual price you're paying at the counter for that 1300 dollar card ? Since in america any msrp is not actually that. Is the card actually 1400$ ? If it is, i'd take the normal 3080 that should be around 1000 now, no ?

Subtotal: $1,299.99
Tax (6.00%): $78.00
Shipping via UPS Ground: $0.00
Order Total: $1,377.99

DukeNukem00

Banned
oh damn, you already bough the card. If i were you i'd exchange it for a 3080 if its almost 400 dollars cheaper. But if that sum is not really burning, the TI is still awesome. Its just the pricing with everything above vanilla 3080. Id pick option 3 for cpu, no point going over that yet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That thing will be a beast. I would recommend getting a cheap SSD or even a HDD for media or whatever else so you could just use the Nvme for games. You could always do this down the line tho. And yeah I agree with the other guy that a 3080 for MsRP is a better deal but if $400 isn’t gonna hurt you just go with what you have. 3080 ti is great card. Good luck and have fun. 👍

HTK

Banned
That thing will be a beast. I would recommend getting a cheap SSD or even a HDD for media or whatever else so you could just use the Nvme for games. You could always do this down the line tho. And yeah I agree with the other guy that a 3080 for MsRP is a better deal but if $400 isn’t gonna hurt you just go with what you have. 3080 ti is great card. Good luck and have fun. 👍
Yeah, I'm not going to compromise on the GPU. I think it's the sweet spot tbh among the entire lineup. Will definitely pick up another 2TB WD SN 850 on the next price cut or maybe just wait for black friday on that since it's not urgent.

Last edited:

Banned
be aware that fast DDR5 ram currently can lead to compatibility issues and instability when using XMP. I would go either with a DDR4 board and use DDR4 until all the kinks of DDR5 are ironed out and then get a new board,
or first go with a lower speed DDR5 kit and upgrade the RAM later

currently you will gen barely, if any, benefit from gaming on DDR5 either

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wouldn't go with DDR5, does not seems to be a benefit and you are going to be an early adopter and I would vote against it. This sentiment is all around the internet outside of nerds who are "playing" benchmarks.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unless the prices are really close theres no need to go for DDR5 and 12900K.
12700K and DDR4 will get the job done really really well, and should easily last you the whole generation and beyond.
If you are planning on going to Raptor lake maybe a 12700K + DDR5 would be work.
If Raptor lake isnt on the cards, get DDR4 and enjoy the savings.

Mahavastu

Memory Kit Details:
Ripjaws V 14-15-15-35 Samsung B-Dies and one of the fastest DDR4's available. $269.99
After reading the other responses and seeing the price difference: why not taking 2 of the cheaper one?
With memory it is always "the more the better" :pie_eyeroll:

As some of you may know I've been trying to build a pc for quite some time. I think at the moment you can find great prices and almost MSRP prices on GPU's that are well in stock. So here's what I'm going with.

Purchased Parts
  • HX 1000w 80+ Platinum
  • NZXT H510 Flow
  • 2x Noctua 140mm Fans
These are the parts/combos below I've been wrastling with all day so if you have any suggestions please jump in. I'll be visiting my Microcenter tomorrow to conclude the build.
  1. i9-12900k + MSI MPG Edge DDR5 + G.Skill Trident Z5 CL32 = $1,309.97
  2. i9-12900k + MSI MPG Edge DDR4 + RipJaws V 14-15-15-35 = $1,119.97
  3. i7-12700k + MSI MPG Edge DDR4 + RipJaws V 14-15-15-35 = $919.98
  4. i7-12700k + MSI MPG Edge DDR5 + G.Skill Trident Z5 CL32 = $1,109.97
Memory Kit Details:

What do you guys think?

Note: This is for gaming, streaming, and video editing.

Also when I say almost MSRP GPUs:
Nvidia 3080 Ti MSRP = $1199.99

EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 = $1299.99 with the rebate they got going on. I believe I would have paid more for a EVGA card anyway with the cooler and performance so that's why I say pretty much MSRP.
Want to future proof your build? Go with any combo that includes Ddr5 dram, even though there are very few applications, if any at all that use ddr5’s reduced latency at the moment and games haven’t been updated to utilize ddr5’s improved throughput, so perf in games and applications is identical across the board between ddr4 & ddr5. That’s my two cents, but it’s up to you. My recommendation the 12900k will provide you with more performance than you will ever need, provided you can keep it adequately cooled as these monstrosities can get pretty hot when under load, but I’d still pick it with a nice ddr4 kit as ddr5 isn’t exactly viable at the moment (very minuscule benefits with first gen ddr5 kits).

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
IMHO option 4 is the way to go. 12700K is nearly identical in gaming performance to 12900k. DDR5 doesn’t give much of an advantage, but it’ll hopefully give you an upgrade path later on.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

3080 ti party time!

I went with AMD platform to save some $ (my monitor was $$$) but all look good to me.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Thanks everyone, I went with the i7-12700k and with the DDR4 Motherboard.

Unfortunately the fast CL14 Memory I reserved was sold, so now I'm looking into CL16. Some of the CL14 Memory is hard to find in stock and cost almost as much as DDR5.

Meanwhile I can save $100+ dollars going with DDR4 CL16 memory, let me know if y'all got any suggestions for those Ram Kits.

HTK

Banned
Never mind, I went overboard but whatever.

G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) CL14 - 3600Mhz B-Dies
  • DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
  • Timing 14-14-14-34
  • CAS Latency 14
  • Voltage 1.45V
I'm officially done.

Final Build:
  • Intel i7-12700k
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) CL14 - 3600Mhz B-Dies
  • MSI MPG Z690 Edge WIFI DDR4
  • HX 1000w 80+ Platinum
  • NZXT H510 Flow
  • 2x Noctua 140mm Fans

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Congratulations you son of a bitch. You're going to be one happy camper you little bastard.

Let us pray.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Phew, I thought for a second OP was asking for which computer was best for Netflix and Web search and not gaming on a gaming forum.

If someone wants suggestions for a PC build then it's critical for them to include what they will primarily be using the PC for so that the people offering suggestions can tailor their advice to the users primary use-case. It was pretty much a given that it would be for gaming, but the OP is also wanting to do video editing, and details like that can change people's part recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If someone wants suggestions for a PC build then it's critical for them to include what they will primarily be using the PC for so that the people offering suggestions can tailor their advice to the users primary use-case. It was pretty much a given that it would be for gaming, but the OP is also wanting to do video editing, and details like that can change people's part recommendations.
Yeah I wasn't serious with my post, I just found the note quite funny.

A good gaming rig should be capable of everything he wants already really.

A big eater is the GPU in all the required tasks, which is good for both

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Yeah I wasn't serious with my post, I just found the note quite funny.

A good gaming rig should be capable of everything he wants already really.

A big eater is the GPU in all the required tasks, which is good for both

One of the primary issues with text is that its sometimes difficult to distinguish between someone being an a-hole or being humorous. :D

HTK

Banned
Get the Logitech G Pro wireless. Oh it’s a godly little meek
These are my peripherals:

Logitech G Pro X Superlight Wireless
HyperX Alloy Origins Core Tenkeyless
HyperX QuadCast S
HyperX Cloud Flight (Need a new headset but Warzone has such shitty audio it would be pointless.)
Glorious Model-O

jigglet

Banned
These are my peripherals:

Logitech G Pro X Superlight Wireless
HyperX Alloy Origins Core Tenkeyless
HyperX QuadCast S
HyperX Cloud Flight (Need a new headset but Warzone has such shitty audio it would be pointless.)
Glorious Model-O

Wow. You have indeed ascended.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a lot to be done when building a gaming pc, they’re dependent on mother boards and reliant on cooling. It’s harder than it looks to build a PC.

b0uncyfr0

I would recommend getting a cheap SSD or even a HDD for media or whatever else so you could just use the Nvme for games.
Do modern games even benefit from an NVME yet - last i checked, Decent SSD's and NVME''s had a one second difference on booting most new games. Surely thats's not worth the price difference, unless something has changed..?

Neilg

for video editing you should have got more ram. 64gb, at least.
You also wont notice faster ram in any meaningful way so you can save a bit of money there.

Do modern games even benefit from an NVME yet - last i checked, Decent SSD's and NVME''s had a one second difference on booting most new games. Surely thats's not worth the price difference, unless something has changed..?
There are games in development now which are fully next gen / nvme critical. Getting at least 1tb is good future proofing.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
for video editing you should have got more ram. 64gb, at least.
You also wont notice faster ram in any meaningful way so you can save a bit of money there.

There are games in development now which are fully next gen / nvme critical. Getting at least 1tb is good future proofing.

Although I might be editing here and there it's not something that I will be doing a lot. I can always upgrade to 64gb if its really needed but I shelled out dough for the fastest memory to gain more FPS. I also think 32GB is more then enough for a lot of editing work.

My Noctua cooler is running behind on the shipping by quite a bit. Now I'm thinking about maybe grabbing an AIO.

Any suggestions are welcome, my case can't do 380mm rads so don't bother with those.

Top Bottom