• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I legitimately believe Pokemon Sun and Moon was used to influence the U.S. Election.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What about all the people that didn't vote that don't give a shit about pokemon? The majority of non voters probably care very very little if any at all about pokemon leaks. Most people would probably want to avoid the leaks anyways. Your conspiracy theory doens't really hold any water.

It seems more and more like Russia went with an "everything" approach, basically mucking up the system however they could.

If they saw a way to get less young voters out, they took it probably. I don't think the election came down to this theory, but it was just another of a growing list of confirmed actions we're seeing.

Even if this is false, I feel we'll see a lot of "wtf!" stories about Russian hacking that will be equal or more ridiculous than this premise.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Maybe, just maybe instead of blaming everyone and everything, Americans take a good long look in the mirror.

Russians didnt elect Trump, Americans did.

ggx2ac

I know you're joking but...

But this was different from those examples, those are release dates decided months in advance and fall on Election Day simply because those companies do Tuesday releases.

This was a game illegally leaked out on the net and posted on 4chan, a site known for being filled to the brim with propagandists. That's a more specific and targeted avenue.

No, no, no.

See, this is the part where you connect the dots.

- Pokémon Sun and Moon got leaked on 4chan.

- 4chan is filled with propagandists.

4chan did leak Pokémon Sun and Moon.

But how can you prove that it was a plot by the Russians... Holy fuck I am even having trouble trying to say that seriously.

This what I am going to recount to you:

- 4chan leaked Pokémon Sun and Moon.

- It distracted you from wanting to go and vote.

- Ergo, the Russians did it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
liSMCaD.png

What a thread to highlight for an automated cold emailing attempt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fucking lizard people created pokemon to study our brainwaves
And make us addicted to gaming.
Since i stopped brushing my teeth 5 years ago.
They can't track me so i am safe for now..

bobone

If you honestly think a large number of the voting age population gives a crap about a new Pokemon game....you probably shouldn't be voting in any elections.

lock2k

Banned
This is honestly not a joke thread.
And I'm not saying Nintendo or Game Freak were involved.

Today, it's been discovered that Russian meddling extended to Pokemon Go among other social media platforms.

First, I have to show off my Pokemon knowledge and make the joke that Team Rocket are off-handedly said to have a branch in Russia in RBY/FRLG, located in either Tiksi or Podkamennaya Tunguska depending on which localization you're using.

But, my main point is that the release of Sun and Moon always irked me. Not the official release, that was the 18th of November, but the release a large amount of the Internet was waiting for was when the games would be leaked to the net and we'd be able to digest everything they had to offer. It happened with X&Y, and it was sure to happen to Sun and Moon...but when?

November 8th, 2016. The day of the election. Now I don't know if this was something that was planned longterm, but when it happened I found it rather funny. I went to the election booth myself and made sure to vote, but otherwise I was glued to my computer until I had to go to work as the information drifted out. I know we had quite a few people on GAF doing the same thing.

But the leak originated on the 4chan Pokemon Board, /vp/. Now we don't know anything about the person who was leaking it, other than they went by the tag "Lurantis" and had acquired the game through some illicit means. They were careful about what they posted to protect their identity, and generally secretive---now it most circumstances this isn't suspicious. I mean it is technically since what he's doing is illegal, but otherwise most people who leak games are secretive.

That being said, with the idea that Russia loved to meddle with the election the secretiveness takes on a whole different level---was this one of Russia's many Social Media strategists doing this specifically on Election Day? As to why they would do it, well, a lot of young folks probably weren't eager to get out and vote in the first place, and those who might have would've likely skipped out on it if something better came along---say, learning about all the cool new stuff in Sun and Moon? Sure, /vp/ may be seen as Trump voters and thus working against that, but I imagine /vp/ was the best way to get it to spread around the more liberal areas of the net and the net benefit of distracting young Hillary voters probably outweighed those who would've voted Trump.

So, that's my theory. Someone with ties to Russia, or sympathetic to Trump, obtained an early copy of Sun and Moon and leaked it to the Internet on Election Day to distract young liberals from going to the polls.

l4PoV9q.jpg

DESTROYA

Oh man I missed this thread when it first came out and after reading it all I can say is...............really! That’s the best you got.Try harder.

GymWolf

I don't know about russia, but trump won the elections because His orange fake tan remember people of an old ass charizard.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I would love to know who sent that to EviLore EviLore

I firmly believe that Star Ocean is also a hidden conspiracy by Japan to convince people the earth is flat.

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte
"So, that's my theory. Someone with ties to Russia, or sympathetic to Trump, obtained an early copy of Sun and Moon and leaked it to the Internet on Election Day to distract young liberals from going to the polls. "

Old gaf had its moments lol

goldrush80

Neo Member
Maybe, just maybe instead of blaming everyone and everything, Americans take a good long look in the mirror.

Russians didnt elect Trump, Americans did.
Yes and i would do it again. President is only 4 years supreme court is a long time.
Gun right are being attacked gotta make sure lawmakers cant just push through aussie style gun control.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol this is some great stuff

put this next to the graduate student who declared Russia was manipulating Star Wars because 11 twitter accounts posted negative reviews.

The funny part with that kind of analysis is that they always seem to think that "the russians" would be stirring the pot in only one direction to get Trump elected.

From what I understand they (Russian secret services I guess) have used social media - ALL OF THEM - to stir up the pot in extreme views (right wing, feminists, black identity groups, white identity groups, muslim identity groups, asian identity groups, etc.) so that everyone fight even more than the normally would in order to destabilize the country, and a couple of other western democracies. Trump is just a side effect of this, and his current crop of opponents seem to be so inept that he may very well stay in power. People will vote for a populist that seem to care about them over someone who throw stones in their own glass house.

discait

Banned
The funny part with that kind of analysis is that they always seem to think that "the russians" would be stirring the pot in only one direction to get Trump elected.

Or that they, along with countless other countries, haven't been trying to interfere in US politics ever since the US was founded.

Doczu

Every single user is an alt of Evilore and NeoGAF is just his crazed schizophrenic fever dream rambling
But that can't be! I'm sitting on the shitter in my home on the other side of the world! I have wife! I have a life! That can't be all nothing more than someones imagination! My childhood.... My memories of my family...

Top Bottom