• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want SEGA AGES on handhelds

jarrod

Banned
radioheadrule83 inspired the idea and now I can't get it out of my head. I want new SEGA AGES lines for each of the current handhelds. Pixel perfect MD ports for GBA, perfect Saturn ports for DS and perfect DC ports for PSP would work really well I think... something along the lines of this...

SEGA AGES 2500 Advance
-Vol.1 Sonic the Hedgehog
-Vol.2 Bare Knuckle
-Vol.3 Shining in the Darkness
-Vol.4 Gunstar Heroes
-Vol.5 VR Virtua Racing
-etc

SEGA AGES 2500 DS
-Vol.1 NiGHTS... into dreams
-Vol.2 Virtua Fighter 2
-Vol.3 Sega Rally Championship
-Vol.4 Panzer Dragoon
-Vol.5 Magic Knight Rayearth
-etc

SEGA AGES 2500 Portable
-Vol.1 Sonic Adventure
-Vol.2 Virtua Fighter 3tb
-Vol.3 Sega Rally 2
-Vol.4 Space Channel 5
-Vol.5 Eternal Arcadia
-etc

...it'd be cheap for SEGA, it'd be good for their brands, good for profit and really good for their fanbase. Me want!!

Link1110

At this point, I'd settle for Shining Force 2 on GBA and Phantasy Star 4 on PS2 (So they can get the series out over here)

jarrod

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
LOL, I just imagined NIGHTS without analog control. No. Not to mention the Saturn textures were bad enough...did the Saturn have texture filtering?
I've actually played NiGHTS w/o analog (in a demo I got before the game/pad came out). It was rough actually.... though they could likely tailor the game to be more responsive to digital imputs or use the touch interface to substiute. There's plenty of ways to do NiGHTS justice on DS.

And no, Saturn had no texture filtering. It didn't even have hardware based texture mapping, shading or a Z-buffer (though shading/textures were doable with software coding)... and it used "hacked" quads rather than polygons for 3D.

Soreda

It is a good idea, and there are a Phantasy Star Collection and a Sega Smash Pack in GBA, right? But I am afraid is not so easy as it seems.

Given gba has lower resolution than genesis you might see the screen chopped or they will have to redraw all those games.

Genesis resolution was 320x224 and here is a comparison between snes and gba resolutions

I also doubt Saturn port to DS to be so straighforward, too much brackgrounds, parallaxs and saturn specific effects from two 2d graphic proccesors, not was your common 3d machine as psx or n64 were. But well, some games yes.

Virtua Tennis PSP also shows is not so easy to make a perfect port from Dc. But it seems the most plausible of them.

jarrod

Banned
Ack! Yeah resolution differences would pose some problems, for GBA especially. But they could still do reasonably close ports for little cost... I still think the concept has merit.

DS actually has a somewhat similar (but far more efficient/capable) setup to Saturn. I think conversions would be pretty simple from one to the other in the end.

bjork

NiGHTS was adequate without the analog, even though it did cripple the "feeling" of flight quite a bit. I'd take digital DS NiGHTS over no NiGHTS at all, and be quite pleased.

Izzy

Banned
If anything, I'd love to see Saturn/S16/S32/Model 1/Model 2/Model 3 ports/remakes on the PSP. Leave Dreamcast games on DC. (Granted, I've never been a big DC fan)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Leave Dreamcast games on DC. (Granted, I've never been a big DC fan)"

Satan.jpg

"Another one for my eternal fire!!!"

how can you not like the DC? it's like hating on Oxygen "This breathing is shit! i hate it!"

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
Satan.jpg

how can you not like the DC? it's like hating on Oxygen "This breathing is shit! i hate it!"

Hahahha - too bad I'm not religious.

I was a huge Saturn and Master System fan, but DC was a huge disappointment for me. Let's leave it at that.

jgkspsx

Virtua Racing on the GBA? Nah.
NiGHTS on the DS? Well, it's a more sympathetic audience, but control is ill-suited to it.

I love the idea in general, but there's just no chance of it happening. Maybe one or two slapdash, willy-nilly ports, but not a series of decent ports. Me, I'm just happy to have Gunstar Super Heroes.

xsarien

daedsiluap
FortNinety said:
Well the Genesis version was pretty good, so I could see this.

Is that the one that had Sonic 1, Ecco, and some other title?

Outrun, Space Harrier, After Burner, and Hang On.

FortNinety said:
Well the Genesis version was pretty good, so I could see this.
Well the Genesis had help. Don't you remeber the Genesis had to use the svp chip?? I don't think the GBA has done one Polygon game?? I think the GBA could not handel Virtua racing. The DS yes, but knowing most companies , they would want to slap on some gimmick with the stylus.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I don't think the GBA has done one Polygon game??"

Payback
Star X
Drone racer (or whatever that was called)
Another world homebrew
starfox homebrew (pushing it!)

not saying VR is possible, but...

I want SEGA AGES on handhelds

Well, I want $5000 but sometimes its just not in the cards.

I am a supporter of this idea and probably a decent way for Sega to make some quick cash.

Although Sega should go further and release some arcade titles not released on consoles. I think the PSP could handle some Naomi 2 games and some of the finest the Model 3 has to offer.

Soreda

The Experiment said:
Well, I want $5000 but sometimes its just not in the cards.

I am a supporter of this idea and probably a decent way for Sega to make some quick cash.

Although Sega should go further and release some arcade titles not released on consoles. I think the PSP could handle some Naomi 2 games and some of the finest the Model 3 has to offer.

You might take a look at Initial D Street Stage to see how PSP handle Naomi 2 games.

Rlan

If they were to do it, they would need to do it THEMSELVES. Actually, make NEW renditions of the games, similar to Namco's Dig-Dug Digging Strike, Pac 'N Roll, and Capcoms Gouls & Ghosts & Megaman Megaman.

Go play SEGA Smash Pack on GBA. It's terrible! Golden Axe is practically unplayable, and Sonic Spinball has a lot of graphical errors.

xexex

Banned
the Nintendo DS is NOT the ideal platform for Sega arcade games. PSP is the better choice, although not totally ideal.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
the lack of sleepmode/quicksave on the GBA Phantasy Star ruined it

Can't be done until Sega of America carves out a decent market in the US. They can't sell shit for games outside of Sonic, and these compliations won't do any better and likely far worst. The fanbase of the DS or PSP does not know of or want these compliations. End of story.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
Well the Genesis had help. Don't you remeber the Genesis had to use the svp chip?? I don't think the GBA has done one Polygon game?? I think the GBA could not handel Virtua racing. The DS yes, but knowing most companies , they would want to slap on some gimmick with the stylus.
Drome Racers GBA looks and runs better than Virtua Racing Genesis. Seriously, GBA alone has roughly 50% more 3D processing power than the Genesis+SVP. GBA's even managed to do a 3D platformer (Asterix & Obelix XXL), with texture mapping... even a co-CPU equipped SNES or Genesis never managed something like that.

Rlan said:
Go play SEGA Smash Pack on GBA. It's terrible! Golden Axe is practically unplayable, and Sonic Spinball has a lot of graphical errors.
Smash Pack GBA was coded by one guy. I'm not kidding.

BlackClouds said:
Can't be done until Sega of America carves out a decent market in the US. They can't sell shit for games outside of Sonic, and these compliations won't do any better and likely far worst. The fanbase of the DS or PSP does not know of or want these compliations. End of story.
I was thinking they'd be JP only actually. Like the current SEGA AGES line, maybe we'd get a few of them here or there though.

The nice thing about all the handhelds is that they're regionless. :)

Shinobi

DCharlie said:
Satan.jpg

:lol

I've been saying this for almost two years, and I'll be fucked if anyone is going to steal my idea and use it as their own.

System 16/32 games = ported to DS

Model 2/3 games = ported to PSP

Anything else that comes after that is gravy.

Eric_S

Shinobi said:
:lol

I've been saying this for almost two years, and I'll be fucked if anyone is going to steal my idea and use it as their own.

System 16/32 games = ported to DS and the PSP

Model 2/3 games = ported to PSP

Anything else that comes after that is gravy.

T,FTFY ;)

Call me greedy, but I want me some arcade versions of Golden Axe and Wonderboy in monsterland lovin' for my PSP. Preferably with a choice of both the original and a remake version running in 2.5D. [/pipedream]

mosaic

go eat paint
I would just like to resurrect this thread by saying that I would pay $29.99 for a souped up Virtua Racing on the PSP that had everything the PS2 version had, except also a couple extra cars and courses and more cars unlocked from the get-go. A smoother frame-rate, less jaggies, and better draw distance would be nice too. Hey, improvements that make a game better but still retain it's original goodness are fine by me!

Alternatively, hell, I'd also pay $29.99 for a thrown together package of SEGA Ages on PSP that had all the games from SEGA Classics Collection along with the recent Virtua Fighter, Virtua Fighter 2, and After Burner II Ages releases tacked on. (And throw in Altered Beast, unmolested plz).

Don't ask for much do I?

I would love to have all of the original sonics on DS/PSP.

I should just get around to putting an emulator on my PSP until they do heh.

But I could see Nights done on the DS with touch screen analog like Mario 64. I think it would work with Nights, personally.

I would also love to see the Phantasy Stars on DS, I still haven't gotten around to playing them unfortunately.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
They need to ditch the AGES monicker now. It's been totally butchered on the PS2 :(
They're at least righting things by cutting ties with D3 and going for exact translations rather than half finished, N64 level remakes. Besides, SEGA AGES is a cool brand... it started on the Saturn, and nothing that started on Saturn is bad. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think those PSP selections would be possible. The PSP could handle the games technically...but there is no way you could cram all of them onto a UMD. Eternal Arcadia, by itself, was already 2 discs...and the other games were not small.

Would be slick, though.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't think those PSP selections would be possible. The PSP could handle the games technically...but there is no way you could cram all of them onto a UMD. Eternal Arcadia, by itself, was already 2 discs...and the other games were not small.

Would be slick, though.
There's likely a lot of repeat content of Eternal Arcadia... I think they could probably manage going from 2.4GB to 1.8GB without sacfiricing any real content.

Plus, if they really needed to they could always just use 2 UMDs. :)

Top Bottom