• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wouldnt mind a FF12 remake after 7 is complete

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just want another game to use the gambit system. Brilliant to have a system where you can automate all the mindless drudgery of turn based JRPGs (aka like 95% of the stuff you do in battle)

mortal

Gold Member
I would agree that FFXII is not old enough to warrant a remake anytime soon.
It still looks phenomenal with its stylized character models, even by today's standards. The Remaster made it age even more gracefully.
The battle system is still a very unique experience relative to most other entries, although probably a bit divisive among FF fans.
Maybe by another decade, the prospects of a FFXII remake would become a lot more enticing.

Although to be honest, the one thing that would immediately grab my interest for any Ivalice FF is if Yasumi Matsuno were directing the project. I'd want the ideal, authentic Ivalice experience and lore.
I'd also be down for a new mainline or Tactics entry directed by Matsuno.

Last edited:
I'm playing through FF12: Zodiac Age right now for the first time. Got the first Esper. Enjoying it a lot, first FF since FF10 believe it or not.

I agree Balthier is a more interesting character than Vaan, not sure they would make such a change in a remake though.

mortal

Gold Member
Are you not tired of remakes brethren
I think there's room for both within the industry. There's certainly a demand for them, so people aren't tired of them for now.
You can still want and appreciate new IPs or new entries, without needing less remakes.

Last edited:

cireza

Why not. I wouldn't have to the bother with this series for 5 additional years. Wake me up when they make a new entry that isn't a Western RPG or a remake.

Last edited:
FF12? Just finished it last month. The game aged incredibly. It doesn’t need a remake. FF8 or FF9 should be done next.
FF9 IS getting a remake and will be next.

Just don't expect a complete retelling or sequel like FF7. This will be most likely be closer to a 1 to 1 remake, similar to something like the Mana remakes.

8 just got a remaster. And it still sucks.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yea, I don't know about XII, but a FFVIII remake would be pretty sick imo. I loved 90's Tetsuya Nomura designs + Yusuke Noara's art direction.

2Xtf.gif
This NEEDS to happen to correct the hate the game gets.
luckily SE has already mentioned a Remake when the Remaster was released and the way they spoke about it indicated they have more of soft spot for VIII then any other FF, but they want to finish FFVII Remake first

Last edited:

RaduN

XII is still an absolutely gorgeous game, perfectly playable, and the current remasters are fantastic too.

VIII is the one that should be remade. This will never happen though. Actually i don't think they will ever remake another FF on the scale they did 7.

I think there is potential here to make FF12 even better in a remake.

-Remove or rework Vaan/Penelo
-Balthier to be main protag
-Add more content to the game
-Flesh out the storyline better
-Espers/Quickening system needs work
-Gambits are fine as it is
-License board is also fine

Agreed 100%, extreme quality take.

Krathoon

You can get the remaster for $23 on CDKeys. I went ahead an got it. It is more convenient to play it on the PC.

IAmRei

FF 12 remaster still relatively new, i don't think there would be a remake for it. beside the remaster still quite fine back before. the one who needs remake i think it's IX oooor, tactic. dang, i lost too count how much i replaying final fantasy tactic. and there is quite some popular opinion as well, that the IX is fine numbered FF as well

12 would be cool but I'd probably see X be made in some way since it's the same team that made FF7 so they'd be freed up and probably want to work on something they've done.

hyperbertha

FF9 IS getting a remake and will be next.

Just don't expect a complete retelling or sequel like FF7. This will be most likely be closer to a 1 to 1 remake, similar to something like the Mana remakes.

8 just got a remaster. And it still sucks.
Gotta agree with your opinion on 8. It's story just felt so lackluster. I don't understand what it was trying to say to this very day.

It's been practically confirmed that it's coming via Nvidia Steam Link. Kingdom Hearts 4 and Dragon's Dogma 2 were leaked exactly same way, months ahead of official announcement.
I know people here are excitedly saying it's confirmed because of the Nvidia leak but the leak has actually been overwhelmingly wrong https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-leaked-games-list-pc/
Less than a third of the games on there have had any confirmation and the ones that have were confirmed something like 3 months after the leak. Some are just straight up impossible like listing a Half Life 2 remaster (like Valve is releasing a game this decade) and not listing Portal RTX, which Nvidia developed itself.
It is fairly accurate for Square, specifically, but that's likely because the predictions for Square were safer bets. Anyone who played KH3 knew there'd be a KH4 and even if you didn't play KH3 it's still a natural assumption. Then it has things that are so vague they're only a step above just saying "new game". It has one "new strategy game" but Square released both DioField Chronicle and Triangle Strategy. It also straight up has wrong entries like "Tomb Raider 25th anniversary" which is literally impossible to release now.
(BTW, FFT is marked as confirmed on here because Jason Schreier once tweeted speculation that because Square had announced 2 different strategy games that were not FFT and because FFT was in the leak that meant FFT was in the works. And then PC Gamer has taken that as confirmation that the leak is confirmed. The absolute state of games journalism...)
Keep in mind, it's already been well over a year since the leaks. Games have a 3 (short) to 5 (long) development time nowadays (Square on the long side), with announcements happening 1 (short) to 3 (long) years in advance (with Square again on the long side). That means it would require both games to be less than 2 years into development when the leak happened, which is a less than 50% chance. It's not impossible that Square is working on either FFT or FF9, but I think it is impossible that Nvidia actually knew anything about it and the perception the leak has been accurate is just confirmation bias.

I know people here are excitedly saying it's confirmed because of the Nvidia leak but the leak has actually been overwhelmingly wrong https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-leaked-games-list-pc/
Less than a third of the games on there have had any confirmation and the ones that have were confirmed something like 3 months after the leak. Some are just straight up impossible like listing a Half Life 2 remaster (like Valve is releasing a game this decade) and not listing Portal RTX, which Nvidia developed itself.
It is fairly accurate for Square, specifically, but that's likely because the predictions for Square were safer bets. Anyone who played KH3 knew there'd be a KH4 and even if you didn't play KH3 it's still a natural assumption. Then it has things that are so vague they're only a step above just saying "new game". It has one "new strategy game" but Square released both DioField Chronicle and Triangle Strategy. It also straight up has wrong entries like "Tomb Raider 25th anniversary" which is literally impossible to release now.
(BTW, FFT is marked as confirmed on here because Jason Schreier once tweeted speculation that because Square had announced 2 different strategy games that were not FFT and because FFT was in the leak that meant FFT was in the works. And then PC Gamer has taken that as confirmation that the leak is confirmed. The absolute state of games journalism...)
Keep in mind, it's already been well over a year since the leaks. Games have a 3 (short) to 5 (long) development time nowadays (Square on the long side), with announcements happening 1 (short) to 3 (long) years in advance (with Square again on the long side). That means it would require both games to be less than 2 years into development when the leak happened, which is a less than 50% chance. It's not impossible that Square is working on either FFT or FF9, but I think it is impossible that Nvidia actually knew anything about it and the perception the leak has been accurate is just confirmation bias.
I disagree completely. It's been quite spot on many titles and publishers. Also, it's Nvidia and not some random Twitter tweet, reddit or 4chan post. This is not even a matter of opinion anymore, but pure facts that everything stated in the leak has either been released, confirmed or going to be announced soon.

The leak states the following for Sony titles -

Demon's Souls
Ghosts of Tsushima
God of War
Gran Turismo 7
Helldivers 2
Horizon Forbidden West
Ratchet & Clank
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Out of all those the following have been confirmed and released

God of War 2018 - Released
Returnal - Released
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - Released
Sackboy: A Big Adventure Released

Ratchet & Clank - Confirmed for July 26th
Helldivers 2 - Confirmed for PS5/PC Day 1

Titles left to be confirmed

Demon's Souls
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Gran Turismo 7

Personal predictions

I am 100% positive that Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok will come to PC sooner or later since their first entries are already on steam. It would be extremely stupid for Sony to not release the sequels for the PC players.

The only one that may not happen is Gran Turismo since the lead guy on GT7 said that currently there are no plans for a PC release in an interview. Then again, they are probably forced to be tight lipped anyways by Sony even if there was a PC release.

Also, don't forget that Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Street Fighter 6 were also part of that leaks months if not a year or so prior to their official announcements.

I am not sure what confirmation bias were talking about here, all I see is facts and physical evidence.

Last edited:
I would agree that FFXII is not old enough to warrant a remake anytime soon.
It still looks phenomenal with its stylized character models, even by today's standards. The Remaster made it age even more gracefully.
The battle system is still a very unique experience relative to most other entries, although probably a bit divisive among FF fans.
Maybe by another decade, the prospects of a FFXII remake would become a lot more enticing.

Although to be honest, the one thing that would immediately grab my interest for any Ivalice FF is if Yasumi Matsuno were directing the project. I'd want the ideal, authentic Ivalice experience and lore.
I'd also be down for a new mainline or Tactics entry directed by Matsuno.
It's tragic what Square did to Matsuno. They burned and discarded one of the industry's greatest talents

I disagree completely. It's been quite spot on many titles and publishers. Also, it's Nvidia and not some random Twitter tweet, reddit or 4chan post. This is not even a matter of opinion anymore, but pure facts that everything stated in the leak has either been released, confirmed or going to be announced soon.

The leak states the following for Sony titles -

Demon's Souls
Ghosts of Tsushima
God of War
Gran Turismo 7
Helldivers 2
Horizon Forbidden West
Ratchet & Clank
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Out of all those the following have been confirmed and released

God of War 2018 - Released
Returnal - Released
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - Released
Sackboy: A Big Adventure Released

Ratchet & Clank - Confirmed for July 26th
Helldivers 2 - Confirmed for PS5/PC Day 1

Titles left to be confirmed

Demon's Souls
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Gran Turismo 7

Personal predictions

I am 100% positive that Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok will come to PC sooner or later since their first entries are already on steam. It would be extremely stupid for Sony to not release the sequels for the PC players.

The only one that may not happen is Gran Turismo since the lead guy on GT7 said that currently there are no plans for a PC release in an interview. Then again, they are probably forced to be tight lipped anyways by Sony even if there was a PC release.

Also, don't forget that Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Street Fighter 6 were also part of that leaks months if not a year or so prior to their official announcements.

I am not sure what confirmation bias were talking about here, all I see is facts and physical evidence.
It's nice that you disagree and all, but I linked a handy list that shows empirically that the list is overwhelmingly wrong and then did analysis on ones that are now literally impossible that you seemed to have ignored, so I don't know what to tell you.

It's nice that you disagree and all, but I linked a handy list that shows empirically that the list is overwhelmingly wrong and then did analysis on ones that are now literally impossible that you seemed to have ignored, so I don't know what to tell you.
Lol. I did not ignore the list. I actually used that link for stating such facts.

Also, that article tagline even says "Multiple announcements have proven the Nvidia leak accurate. So what's left?"

So you are countering your own argument by saying that the leak was overwhelmingly wrong? Lol what??? The article disagrees with your own statements.

Just because Half Life RTX appeared in steam database and then didn't happen doesn't mean that it never existed or wasn't going to come. You do realize Valve owns steam right and they can change their mind and they never release products if something is not ready yes? Isn't it a crazy concept that game development decisions can change on the fly? Crazy I know...

Over half of Sony titles have been confirmed or released that are listed on the leak in the link that you have provided.

90% of Capcom titles have as well. Only 1 is missing and that's Monster Hunter 6 and you know damn right that's coming sooner or later. Capcom always releases MH titles on PC at some point.

Point is that majority of the stuff that leaked has come to fruition in one way or another.

Last edited:
Point is that majority of the stuff that leaked has come to fruition in one way or another.
You insist you read the list but then say this even though it's almost impossible to have read the list and not noticed this is false. Just literally count how many entries have checks next to them vs those that don't. This isn't opinion, there's barely even any analysis. This is just a small amount of grade school math. There isn't room for disagreement.

You insist you read the list but then say this even though it's almost impossible to have read the list and not noticed this is false. Just literally count how many entries have checks next to them vs those that don't. This isn't opinion, there's barely even any analysis. This is just a small amount of grade school math. There isn't room for disagreement.
Yes I read the list. There is a ton of room for disagreement lol.

Do you also realize that this is an older article from February 10th of 2023 and majority of it is outdated and not up to date?

Yeah, games like Helldivers 2 and Ratchet and Clank are not checkmarked because they were not announced at that point of the article posting.

Last week Ratchet and Clank was announced for PC for July 26th.

Helldivers 2 was revealed end of May for PS5 and PC at the PS5 Showcase (but is not checkmarked on the article, because it's ancient)

MGS 2 and 3 HD were also NOT checked marked in that article. But guess what? The Trilogy remaster/remake was announced at PS Showcase at end of May once again.

Also, for Microsoft do you honestly believe that Gears 6 is not coming to steam? Every first party MS game comes to Steam these days. Wouldn't be very surprised if it gets announced this week at the MS Showcase on the 11th.

Halo 5 Guardians I am not sure, but they can do it easily if they wanted too.

Talos Principle II was recently confirmed and had a trailer. Again, it's not check marked on that article because it's outdated and old -

Metro Next not checkmarked but has already been confirmed multiple times by the author of the Metro Series.- - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metro-series-author-dmitry-glukhovsky-is-working-o/1100-6469100/

Cities Skylines 2 not checkmarked either (again, old article) but has been announced - https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/about

Earth Defense Force 6 already exists but in Japan only - https://www.play-asia.com/earth-defense-force-6/13/70eycr
Wouldn't be surprised if it comes to USA as they all did eventually.

New Timesplitters has been officially confirmed YEARS ago by the Deep Silver publisher, not sure if it will be called Timesplitters 2 but it exists - https://www.polygon.com/22445448/new-timesplitters-sequel-announced-deep-silver-free-radical-design

As for the Wreckfest Sequel - their next game is rumored to be called Stuntfest and is not a direct sequel to the game but is spiritual successor - https://wccftech.com/stuntfest-is-the-next-game-from-wreckfests-bugbear-team/

Titan Quest 2 -We're still waiting for reveal/announcement but with the current rise of ARPG, I wouldn't be surprised if it's real.

Mortal Kombat 12 was also on the Nvidia list and was announced end of May, but it is not MK 12 and a reboot and called MK 1. Regardless still an MK game and is real and was not checkmarked in the article because guess what..? It's outdated - https://www.mortalkombat.com/en-us

These are facts.

The whole point of this article is to actually state how reliable and on the dot the Nvidia Leak was and all they was simply showed the games that have yet to be announced. Obviously, because it is out of date you won't see as many checkmarks.

Now that time has passed lot of those titles in their lists now exist. If they updated this article or made a new one to follow up on the leak, you would see way more checkmarks. It's a very plain concept to grasp and understand. You have to look at the bigger picture my friend.

Simply going of lists that are outdated and not doing the proper research does not help your side of the discussion imo.

Last edited:
Yes I read the list. There is a ton of room for disagreement lol.

Do you also realize that this is an older article from February 10th of 2023 and majority of it is outdated and not up to date?

Yeah, games like Helldivers 2 and Ratchet and Clank are not checkmarked because they were not announced at that point of the article posting.

Last week Ratchet and Clank was announced for PC for July 26th.

Helldivers 2 was revealed end of May for PS5 and PC at the PS5 Showcase (but is not checkmarked on the article, because it's ancient)

MGS 2 and 3 HD were also NOT checked marked in that article. But guess what? The Trilogy remaster/remake was announced at PS Showcase at end of May once again.

Also, for Microsoft do you honestly believe that Gears 6 is not coming to steam? Every first party MS game comes to Steam these days. Wouldn't be very surprised if it gets announced this week at the MS Showcase on the 11th.

Halo 5 Guardians I am not sure, but they can do it easily if they wanted too.

Talos Principle II was recently confirmed and had a trailer. Again, it's not check marked on that article because it's outdated and old -

Metro Next not checkmarked but has already been confirmed multiple times by the author of the Metro Series.- - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metro-series-author-dmitry-glukhovsky-is-working-o/1100-6469100/

Cities Skylines 2 not checkmarked either (again, old article) but has been announced - https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/about

Earth Defense Force 6 already exists but in Japan only - https://www.play-asia.com/earth-defense-force-6/13/70eycr
Wouldn't be surprised if it comes to USA as they all did eventually.

New Timesplitters has been officially confirmed YEARS ago by the Deep Silver publisher, not sure if it will be called Timesplitters 2 but it exists - https://www.polygon.com/22445448/new-timesplitters-sequel-announced-deep-silver-free-radical-design

As for the Wreckfest Sequel - their next game is rumored to be called Stuntfest and is not a direct sequel to the game but is spiritual successor - https://wccftech.com/stuntfest-is-the-next-game-from-wreckfests-bugbear-team/

Titan Quest 2 -We're still waiting for reveal/announcement but with the current rise of ARPG, I wouldn't be surprised if it's real.

Mortal Kombat 12 was also on the Nvidia list and was announced end of May, but it is not MK 12 and a reboot and called MK 1. Regardless still an MK game and is real and was not checkmarked in the article because guess what..? It's outdated - https://www.mortalkombat.com/en-us

These are facts.

The whole point of this article is to actually state how reliable and on the dot the Nvidia Leak was and all they was simply showed the games that have yet to be announced. Obviously, because it is out of date you won't see as many checkmarks.

Now that time has passed lot of those titles in their lists now exist. If they updated this article or made a new one to follow up on the leak, you would see way more checkmarks. It's a very plain concept to grasp and understand. You have to look at the bigger picture my friend.

Simply going of lists that are outdated and not doing the proper research does not help your side of the discussion imo.
I'll grant that there are titles that have been announced that aren't on the checked on the list, I haven't checked in a while so my bad. But, there's also titles checked on the list that aren't announced (FF Tactics). There are titles on the list that are literally impossible to ever release (Tomb Raider 25th anniversary). There are titles on the list that were announced before the leak (God of War). There are titles on the list literally any person could've predicted (Kingdom Hearts 4, SF6, RE4 Remake). There's titles on the list we basically already knew were in development (Dragon's Dogma 2 has been known since 2019). And there are titles missing from the list that it's hard to believe Nvidia wouldn't know about (Portal RTX which was literally developed by them, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Crisis Core, Stranger of Paradise, TLOU, Spider-Man, Sonic Frontiers, Lost Judgment). No one's saying the leak isn't legitimate, but all of the evidence combined makes it far more likely that Nvidia was telling the truth that it was a list of some known titles and some speculative titles (made for an internal presentation on GeForce now to impress some executive types) than for some reason developers are sharing details of games 3 years ahead of release. It's funny I went through the list of games that they apparently didn't know about and have not only been announced but released and I somehow became less convinced that this leak is anything less than a slightly informed guess.

And then even if all of this hopium is true and this list is a totally accurate prediction of the future, you've already admitted games on the list were cancelled. So using it as proof that SE is definitely making FF9 still doesn't work.

Aion002

Not really.

As others have mentioned, the game still holds to this day.

Also, a remake of FFVI would be incredible.

Sneaking Final Fantasy GIF by Square Enix

I'll grant that there are titles that have been announced that aren't on the checked on the list, I haven't checked in a while so my bad. But, there's also titles checked on the list that aren't announced (FF Tactics). There are titles on the list that are literally impossible to ever release (Tomb Raider 25th anniversary). There are titles on the list that were announced before the leak (God of War). There are titles on the list literally any person could've predicted (Kingdom Hearts 4, SF6, RE4 Remake). There's titles on the list we basically already knew were in development (Dragon's Dogma 2 has been known since 2019). And there are titles missing from the list that it's hard to believe Nvidia wouldn't know about (Portal RTX which was literally developed by them, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Crisis Core, Stranger of Paradise, TLOU, Spider-Man, Sonic Frontiers, Lost Judgment). No one's saying the leak isn't legitimate, but all of the evidence combined makes it far more likely that Nvidia was telling the truth that it was a list of some known titles and some speculative titles (made for an internal presentation on GeForce now to impress some executive types) than for some reason developers are sharing details of games 3 years ahead of release. It's funny I went through the list of games that they apparently didn't know about and have not only been announced but released and I somehow became less convinced that this leak is anything less than a slightly informed guess.

And then even if all of this hopium is true and this list is a totally accurate prediction of the future, you've already admitted games on the list were cancelled. So using it as proof that SE is definitely making FF9 still doesn't work.

I get what you are saying but now we have multiple reputable sources telling is FF 9 is real.

Again, it's not official until it is, but with the Nvidia leak accuracies and now reputable leakers chiming in. I am fairly confident it's real. At this point, it's a matter of time imo.

Also, Square officially teased a big announcement for 2023 thats not related to FF 7 at the start of the year - https://nichegamer.com/square-enix-boss-big-announcement-2023/

"
There’s also another big announcement unrelated to FFVII that I can’t say anything about just yet.
Rest assured we’re working hard to make sure 2023 is the most exciting year yet.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Producer
Yoshinori Kitase"

I wouldn't very surprised at this point if it's revealed later this year.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Enough

FF12 is fine as is already. Visuals aged well with high resolution.

I swear if someone even suggest to change combat to FFVII action..

FatalAcidicAmericancreamdraft-max-1mb.gif

NahaNago

I'd rather have a reimagining of the older games before the ps1 era. For FF12 they should just upgrade the visuals and tweak the game a bit more and that is it for now.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I think the art style makes the game still hold up today on the HD versions.
But if they were to revamp some stuff I’d consider it.
Fran in FFVII graphics ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

JayK47

I'm actually playing FF12 right now. I played and quit it back on PS2. I'm now playing on Xbox One. Why oh why did I even buy it again? I really hate the combat and the level design. Never a shop when you need one. No inns. Only the occasional save points. Fast travel heavily restricted in first half of game. They clearly want you to grind as I am constantly under level. Your mages can't be back row and get one hit and killed all the time. It feels like a game made by a whole different studio and at some point someone slapped a FF paint job on it and sold it as a FF game. It is the only mainline FF game I have played that I really am not enjoying and I have played them all since SNES. I am looking forward to FF16. I would rather see a FF8 remake. If they ever do a remake of FF12, I am not touching it.

Top Bottom