• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If every future story/narrative in videogames will now focus on woke-ism I want Video Games to be cancelled.

Starfield

Seriously, theres no point anymore in playing any sort of story-driven videogame if politics are now MANDATORY to be an influencal part of video game story content.

We should start a list of leading talents that we lost due to twitter mob culture:

• Jeremy Soule (rip to one of the greatest game music componists of all time, nothing has been heard since the accusations other than him laywering up)
  • Chris Avellone (rip to one of the greatest story writers inside the rpg scene)

Who should I add to the list?

Last edited:
Money talks louder than religious fanatics.

Just don't buy this prejudiced, puritanical, hate filled bollocks and wait for the inevitable culture shift against it.

LordKasual

Banned
Yeah, I won't be buying them. Unfortunately gamers love to cry but still end up buying the things they hate.

I don't think many people actually hate the direction of modern gaming.

PS4/Xbone is the best gen of gaming since the PS2 for me, hands down.

for every movement theres gonna be an anti movement. Just wait a few years

You're looking at the anti-movement lol

gaf is like ground zero bro. You'd be hard-pressed to find nearly as much "woke" complaining elsewhere.

I think TLOU2's metacritic score is what the "anti movement" looks like, honestly.

But hatred doesn't change things....it just strengthens the response.

MONEY is what moves the market. And the market is doing (and has been doing) just fine.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same way I don't care what people want to consider whats "weep" what not, I also don't care what people consider "woke", I will play what I like, thats all. The reality is both SJW or anti-SJW want a reason to get offended and rage about it on internet...I say let them, I will just sit back and enjoy my games.

Last edited:
Same way I don't care what people want to consider whats "weep" what not, I also don't care what people consider "woke", I will play what I like, thats all. The reality is both SJW or anti-SJW want a reason to get offended and rage about it on internet...I say let them, I will just sit back and enjoy my games.

The West has been overtaken by drama queens with victim mentality.
Thank you social media and sheep group think.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The West has been overtaken by drama queens with victim mentality.
Thank you social media and sheep group think.
Currently that modern western gaming culture for you, overreaction and outrage has become a norm and no longer possible to even have proper gaming discussion. Instead we all have to suffer through their cringy rage over how offended they are.........
tenor.gif

I honestly don't care either. I think people are bored at home and looking for something to be offended by. Believe it or not, as easily as these "paid off" journalist can be influenced by a wave of praise for a game and end up giving it 10's, it's just as easy for people to get caught up in the wave of hate and bashing. I don't think i've ever been mad at a game LOL

Last edited:

morelan

Is this topic about cancel culture or about games that focus on themes that are considered "political" today? I mean I agree that cancel culture is a serious problem and that there are people pushing for more games that discuss social issues, AND that these groups tend to overlap, but you could try to elaborate what you're trying to say a little more. I don't mean to be a dick but this is nothing more than a rant.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Maybe those dudes have some responsibility for their behavior? You can disagree on them being “cancelled” but I don’t know how you leap to that to “woke-ism” in games.

I’m currently playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall set in Seattle with some themes that would be considered “woke” today despite not being new at all but no one was complaining about it back when it came out which suggests that people are hyperventilating. Was the problem with The Outer Worlds that it was woke? People act like bad writing goes hand in hand with a certain political stance but the contrast with Dragonfall suggests the writing was just bad. That said, it’s all relative considering most game writing isnt even on the level of the schlocky Warhammer novel I’m currently listening to.

Guilty_AI

Most mainstream games stories suck anyway, woke or not.
Just let the journalists and devs jerk each other off while comparing TLoU2 to the the schindler's list and then broke out into a fight over who's the most opressed.

If you want a good example of story driven game with political themes, play Disco Elysium.

Last edited:

Valentino

Same here. I will be playing a game and not realise there's any "supposed" woke material on my screen. Just doesn't phase me. But why is that. Why is everyone pressed and I'm not? Should I be?

V4skunk

Banned
I hate politics being brought into games, at this point I will just buy japanese games, indies, or games that only focus about the gameplay and zero story.
Also stuff like Gran Turismo and FromSofts games. May be Halo too.

Barnabot

i can still consume woke media if it has a good execution and convincing story. however using any woke agenda as an excuse to defend a bad story in a game and also being used as a tool to shutdown any criticism one may have about that game because "you're a *phobe" or "you're *ist" it's some next level bullshit.

Only word that came to my mind from the title. Pussy.

You dont control what developers make. Money does. If a dildo fighting a apple sells millions. People will make said games. But to complain that games are maturing and tackling real world issues as woke is just useless tears. Like all these models (Tomb Raider) killing 100 men isnt woke. But a muscular lady (abby) is?

Seeing that there is little chance of TLoU2 or Cyberpunk not winning GOTY, WOKE is getting GOTY. Cyberpunk is the first game you can play as a trans as the main character, isnt it?

You dont control what developers make. Money does. If a dildo fighting a apple sells millions. People will make said games. But to complain that games are maturing and tackling real world issues as woke is just useless tears. Like all these models (Tomb Raider) killing 100 men isnt woke. But a muscular lady (abby) is?

Seeing that there is little chance of TLoU2 or Cyberpunk not winning GOTY, WOKE is getting GOTY. Cyberpunk is the first game you can play as a trans as the main character, isnt it?

Cyberpunk isn't woke just because it has trans characters. That's just an element of the cyberpunk genre, and usually somewhat satirical at that. Hell, we basically live in a cyberpunk dystopia now.

Teslerum

Except that fits Cyberpunk and shows why you're not getting what Woke is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They don't and they won't.

Big 1st party games likely will, though, and it will be mandatory for them to publish.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can carry out your wish by not buying their games.

Seriously. Just don't buy it if you don't like it. There are so many awesome games coming out these days, that if you can't find something up your alley, you should probably give up the hobby.

Kuranghi

Maybe those dudes have some responsibility for their behavior? You can disagree on them being “cancelled” but I don’t know how you leap to that to “woke-ism” in games.

I’m currently playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall set in Seattle with some themes that would be considered “woke” today despite not being new at all but no one was complaining about it back when it came out which suggests that people are hyperventilating. Was the problem with The Outer Worlds that it was woke? People act like bad writing goes hand in hand with a certain political stance but the contrast with Dragonfall suggests the writing was just bad. That said, it’s all relative considering most game writing isnt even on the level of the schlocky Warhammer novel I’m currently listening to.

Whats an example of its "wokeness"?

Rikoi

Speaking about tomb raider, Lara was born in the 90s as a girl that was also fighting men, yes, it was an adventure/shooter game and it was entirely the point of it, it's not woke. If we want to talk about tomb raider wokeness, you need to look at her design, see how much it changed from the 90s to now, both her body and her face.
They stripped her of any sexy feature (both face and body).

Kuranghi

Get into “retro” gaming. I rediscovered my PSP and am enjoying it. (Of course, it can be more expensive.)

I got a JP one imported to the UK in Dec 2004 (arrived Jan 2005) and it was so brilliant playing Ridge Racer on it with my university games design coursemates, I just loved the form factor and everything, so good.

Top Bottom