• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN changing to a 10 point review scale

Woo-Fu

Banned
This at least gives you some way to prioritize your buying decisions and make sure you are playing great games and getting a good deal on games that are good but not great.
I'm confused why you can do that with 4 points on a scale but not 10? Here, I'll do it for you:

1-4: Skip Entirely
4-6: Rent or Borrow
6-8: Wait for sale.
8-10: Buy it now.

And don't do any of those until watching/reading the entire review so you know why it is getting that score.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Should have done away with score altogether. It's time to break the Metacritic chains.

I couldn't disagree more. There's literally nothing wrong with scoring video games with numbers. Just stop reading every single negative tweet and GAF comment about a score someone disagrees with.

I'm confused why you can do that with 4 points on a scale but not 10? Here, I'll do it for you:

And don't do any of those until watching/reading the entire review so you know why it is getting that score.

THIS! This is literally exactly what I do. Except my wait for sale is 6-7. And if it gets an 8 I need to really like the company that made the game, the game's background, or really into the gameplay to buy it day one.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Right but do you need 3 different ways to say "wait for sale" or "buy it now".

A 10 is "buy it right the fuck now".
An 8 is "buy it now but maybe wait for sale" cos it's closer on the spectrum to that.
Or is an 8 wait for sale but maybe also buy it now.

I think the issue with a 10 point scale or 20 or 100 point scale is that there are so many points on the scale for something as simple as "get this game now" or "wait until it on sale".

I always though metacritic was a bit daft because anything over a 90 is reviewers declaring the thing a must buy game, basically. So you don't really need 91, 92, 93, 94 etc. Who is out there saying "oh only 92? I was hoping this would get 95 or 96 so I think I'll skip it"?

A smaller and clearer scale just feels like it's more descriptive and gets more to the point of what the reviewer is saying.

Woo-Fu

Banned
A smaller and clearer scale just feels like it's more descriptive and gets more to the point of what the reviewer is saying.
But it is of less value when ranking games among themselves which is one of the reasons they use scales. The scale isn't there solely to tell you whether to buy it or not, after all.

Just consider the multi-page threads on GAF spent almost entirely quibbling over half-points between various reviews. :)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They need to have multiple reviewers. I hate the single journalist reflects the views of the entire corporation garbage. I don't think changing their scoring system actually matters. It all comes out the same way, out the ass

CrisPy2019

They should change that into a .5 system.

8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 is bullshit.

But a 8.5 is in no way a 9 and in no way a 8

The Gap is to big now. Bad decision!

Have 8 8.5 9 9.5 10. That would be perfect and would not put a 8.6 game into the same category as a 9.4 game.

Last edited:
The actual reason is they think their audience is stupid so they simplify things under the disguise of being intuitive and better. It's the same reason you see companies make their logos look like they were made in paint using the one color box tool.

The longwinded excuse is nothing more than an insult to people who are smart enough to realize it.

mcjmetroid

Is there a WOKE meter as well so we can be warned in advance of Gruff White Males?

images
What an earth is that from? The racism is off the charts!

Kokoro2020

they literally answer this in the OP

either read it before commenting or dont comment if you dont care enough to read it

I can see differences between 1 through 4 anyway. Basically, a 1 should be reserved for games that are objectively broken, unplayable, and is the kind of game that no one would argue is good. Think Superman 64 or Big Rigs. A 2 might have a minor redeeming quality or two, but is still terrible and unplayable. A 3 is where a game might be playable, but is still pretty bad. A 4 is where is a game is subpar, but some fans of the genre (or series, if the game belongs to one) may find some enjoyment from.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I cant even remember the last time I visited IGN. I think when I last did screwattack was popular.

I think 1 through 9 is a perfect scoring system. Its simple and you have an odd number of total numbers which allows you to have a single number right in the center with an even amount above and below. So you know if you see 5 you know thats its neither good nor bad since it has 4 numbers above and below it.

Too many people want to make a scoring system too complex and needlessly complicated. A score is simply just a visual representation of an entire review boiled down to a single character, the real review happens in the review where the reviewer gives reasons for the score. You dont need more than that.

But then again I couldnt give 2 shits about any reviews anywhere really. There are over 7 billion people on this planet, I dont even give a shit about the people who live on my street so why in the hell do I care about what some random guy somewhere in the world thinks about something? People get wrapped up in reviews because they are emotionally invested. If they like a game they want others to like it, if they hate it they want others to hate it just so they can feel validated because they are insecure. Seriously if you like a game and no one else does who gives a fuck? You get to enjoy it, isnt that enough? Or if you dont like a game but everyone else does then how does that effect you personally?

Reviews to me dont alter what I like or dont like or what I am interested in or not interested in. I dont care what other people think at all. At best I will skim reviews on games just to see an overall score (again what makes 1-9 perfect) because if I see overwhelmingly bad scores then I will look to see if its a technical issue or something like that. If I see a bunch of crybabies bitching about something stupid then I just go ahead and get it anyway.

I think it's incredibly difficult to differentiate 10 degrees of subjective quality, let alone 100. 5-point/star scale is best scale imo.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m more concerned with IGN delivering a review, or anything of substance, worth reading, on a regular basis.

Absolute trash-tier journalism for fifteen years. The only good times were in the early 2000s, and I’m not sure I don’t have partially rose-tinted glasses.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I couldn't disagree more. There's literally nothing wrong with scoring video games with numbers. Just stop reading every single negative tweet and GAF comment about a score someone disagrees with.
My problem is with publishers using Metacritic as a core success metric. This makes developers chase those scores and in turn shapes the video game landscape. Giving Metacrtic, who in turn weights their aggregate, that power seems like a horrible idea.

Do they mention a point value for "Too difficult for our reviewers to play so it sucks" and "Not enough water"?

Last edited:

mitch1971

No fuck simpler. i want this scoring

Grapes
Sandpaper
Seeweed
Oxalot
Carbon
radish
Pet frog
barrel
paper mashe

zeorhymer

Took them long enough. Didn't make sense tbh. What's the real difference between an 86 and an 87 except 1 arbitrary point.

Siri

Banned
they literally answer this in the OP

either read it before commenting or dont comment if you dont care enough to read it

When I read this post my first thought was - this, right here, is the chief reason scores are so important to begin with. Because the vast majority of people typically won’t read anything longer than two or three sentences.

It’s ironic that IGN wrote such a ‘lengthy’ explanation of its new scoring system, when the very people the explanation was meant for won’t bother reading it.

Like the guy above.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whether it's incrementals or 0.1 or whole numbers, what different does it make?

Take a skim of IGN's review tab for games and most games get 7.0 or more out of 10 anyway. So now it'll be 7/10.

And for the games getting below 7.0, almost all of them are above 5.

Basically 99% of games get a 5/10 or more.

If it makes people feel better by rounding to the nearest whole number, Shenmue III"s 5.9 would be a 6, and Death Stranding's 6.8 would be a 7.

Happy now? lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

When I read the title, I said "What's this mean, is IGN saying they will actually score games lower than 5, and specify 6 as an average/pretty good game?"

NOPE.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
10 - Money received
9 - Good
8 - Barely ok
7 - Shit
6 - Shit
5 - Shit
4 - Shit
3 - Shit
2 - Shit
1 - Shit

Great jub IGN

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I read the title, I said "What's this mean, is IGN saying they will actually score games lower than 5, and specify 6 as an average/pretty good game?"

NOPE.
If you skim down pages of IGN reviews, the only games getting less than a 5 are:

- The new Terminator game
- WWE 2k20
- FIFA 20 on Switch
- Contra Rogue Corps

All of them still got in the 4s.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Joke post: Simple times for simple people.

Real post: I thought they already did this, like, ages ago.

Top Bottom