• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm confused, so Wii is region free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumGamer

According to this news at IGN

UK, September 15, 2006 - Wii games will not be region-free according to Nintendo UK's General Manager David Yarnton. Speaking exclusively with IGN at Nintendo's European Wii press event in London, Yarnton confirmed that Wii games and online content will be region-encoded, meaning European gamers won't be able to play titles from the US and Japan and vice-versa.

The news follows contradictory comments made by Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing and Affairs, which IGN reported on yesterday.

This probably prove that Yanton doesnt know shit.
So what do you guys think about this?

Ecrofirt

Pseudo judo said:

Wired had the opportunity to sit down after with Nintendo Vice-President of Marketing & Corporate Affairs—not to mention affable conference host—Perrin Kaplan to ask a few questions that weren't addressed in the press conference.

• Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

Hence the confusion.

Rimshot

I'm rather confused.

Both figures behind the statements have enough authority to be trusted on their statements. I "really" hope it's not just europe to get a completely regionlocked machine.

With our earlier escapades that wont be impossible :(

Ntsc-U and Ntsc-J is basicly the same system, only difference is regionlocking in most of the time. So saying that Ntsc-U will be able to play Ntsc-J/A wouldn't be impossible.

Well, to sum it up, i hope it's completely regionfree as the DS :)

I believe that the Wii will incorporate a region coding scheme, but it will be up to the publishers to determine which regions a particular release will be playable in. Theoretically some publishers may opt to publish games with no region restrictions. This would jive with both what Perrin and that monkey from the EU said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom