• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm getting popping sounds in PC games

I've been getting a lot of popping sounds while playing games (and only while playing games) on my PC (Halo CE and WOW). My drivers are updated and I tried turning the hardware acceleration off and I still get the popping sounds. I read somewhere that this is because I'm using the onboard audio so; I guess I need a PCI sound card. Can someone recommend a good and cheap one?

Also, would using a PCI sound card disable any of the sound stuff on the motherboard? I'm using the mic input on the front of my case which is connected to the motherboard and would like to keep it that way since it's convenient having it in the front.

citan

The only thing I can think of is if you check your audio settings in the game, make sure you can't push it above 100%, there are a few games that do that. If you can and are doing so, you are overloading the signal to the speakers, which can potentionally damage the amp in your speaker system.

I can turn off "environmental sound" (I like environmental sound though) on Halo and get rid of the popping but, it still pops at the menu screen. WOW doesn't have any option I can turn off to get rid of it.

I think this is a latency issue. If you get this app called Powerstrip you can change the latency settings for your sound card. I think the default on most is 32, graphics card have some high ass latency in 200's. I increased the sound card latency to 64, reduced the graphics latency to 120, and reduced latency for a bunch of other stuff including: usb, network adapter and so on and now the sound lag and pops are gone.

This was really effecting performance on my computer though. I mean BF Vietnam, and BF 1942 were running at 20 FPS with sound lag on a X1800 XT with 1 GB of ram. Fixing latency might not have the same effect for you…

Top Bottom