• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm going to buy a 40gb iRiver - any objections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
As the topic suggests, I'm most probably gonna use any birthday money accumulated to buy an iRiver IHP-140. Anyone got one of these already?

Recommend a better product for the money? (£269 here in Blighty)

Would take some ear phone recommendations too, as the ones packaged are shite apparently, and need new phones anyway. Was thinking about the in-ear Sony Fontopias for just under £30.

Cheers everyone, good to have the forum back!

You can't go wrong with iRiver.

That being said, forget the Zen Xtra. The new Zen Touch 20GB is ridiculously inexpensive and is boasting a 24 hour battery.

Of course, I prefer my MP3 players with no moving parts, so I wouldn't buy either.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Hmmm, it requires drivers though yes?

That's a big negative for me, because the driverless iRiver means I can take it to school to save work on, and to rape their faster download speeds for bigger files and then just drag and drop to my iRiver.

Can you actually use the Zen Xtra as an external HD? Hell, can iPods even be used as external hard drives?

Also, I'd make use of the optical in/out on the iRiver to record music, and output to my 5.1 speakers in the living room.

Doth Togo

No objections to the iRiver. Go Go Go!

I have a 30 gig Zen Xtra and it works great. I go running with it all the time and have no problems. I've got about 100 albums in there so far at 320kbps and it sounds awesome.

Nothing but good things to say about it.

fart

Savant
i've got a 120. use it all the time. if you're ok with waiting a little longer for firmware updates from iriver you should be good to go. supposedly we're going to get on the fly playlisting and all the junk pretty soon but i'm not holding my breath if you know what i mean.

I've been doing research on the topic for half a year or so, it's a lot of money after all. It all comes down to your needs and tastes (and budget, naturally), so you'd better look at the specs (and check whether they can be trusted, because it's not always the case), otherwise people tend to recommend theirs. I was leaning towards the iRiver, but the fact it has toooons of features I'll never, ever use, not even to see if they work (voice recording and especially in-line recording, which to me is just stupid) made me change my mind.

The iPod is out of the question for autonomy issues (it's an issue to me) and pricing (and because I'm a Win/Linux guy as almost everyone in Europe) and I don't like the Zen, I've hold them all and it's just too bulky and heavy (IMO). It's cheap though, and people I know say the sound is great.

In the end I bought a Rio Karma. I'm very satisfied, can't live without it and so on. I had to return the first one because it came with a slighty jammed stick (the red nipple, take a look at the pictures) but haven't had any other major issue (one lock-up, if so). There's people complaining about hard-drives dying but never happend to me, and I'm not even worried about it because I got a very good deal from an Austrian company (I live in Germany now): 300 (euro) with a two-year warranty from Rio and a three-year warranty from the seller. No FM-radio, no voice recording, no inline recording, damn, you can't even use it as a plug-and-play hard drive (though it's said it will be adressed through firmware). On the other hand it's intended to play music and is really good at it: good sound (though every DAP sounds good I guess), 5-band customizable equalizer (three of them, plus default ones), on-the-fly playlist generation, a cool RioDJ which shuffles, plays new music and so on, and and a navigation system using ONLY id-tags which I absolutely love (to hell with folder navigation). And for me the biggest plus were the forums (riovolution.com) where you can actually TALK with Rio engineers. Problems are addressed, and new firmware is released quite often and actually works. It lacks a remote and a case (just a pouch), but surprisingly I found out I can live without them: the remote just adds bulk and I don't need the case, I keep it in my pocket with a especially-made screen-protector.

I'm not sure whether that's what you need (probably not) but what the heck, my two cents.

PS. I was a newcomer ('petardo') in the old forums, my last thread was about web hosting. If you finally signed with SurpassHosting how's it going? I've managed to delay my possible server move for a while.

Woohoo, my longest post ever.

I forgot to mention gapless playback and crossfading. Does the iRiver have any of them already? I think they were working on gapless playback but was still quite raw. I fear a world without crossfading.

fart

Savant
only women and queers need gapless playback and crossfading.

here's the official iriver feature schedule
http://www.iriver.com/community/notice_view.asp?idx=31

note that it's now june and neither one of these updates has come out. the unit still serves a lot of people well, but there are few who aren't disappointed with iriver support.

that's not to say it's a terrible product as-is. i really like it, and honestly the bugs never bothered me (although there's one that's popped up that's affecting battery life. people think that's what's delaying the promised updates). go to compusa or something and page around in the menus to see if the quirks bug you. if you need the hardware features, you'll definitely be happy with it. if you're looking for refined software though... the iriver is a bit more of a hacker's friend.

I'd rather be queer with crossfading than straight without it.

Not that I use it much, ogg and gapless do the trick. But for old stuff in mp3 works wonders.

Suerte

Well I'm going to be ordering one of these later tonight :)

mainpic_prod586.jpg

Size reference:

0309150957540915008.jpg

home_mainspot_muvo2.jpg

w00t!

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Hooray for the good iRiver feedback. I was 90% sure of getting one, now I'll definitely be getting one.

I heard about the never-ending spinning hard drive issues which were supposed to be getting sorted in a firmware update? Hell, I even saw an online petition to get it sorted. Anyone know anymore about that?

fart

Savant
Great King Bowser said:
Hooray for the good iRiver feedback. I was 90% sure of getting one, now I'll definitely be getting one.

I heard about the never-ending spinning hard drive issues which were supposed to be getting sorted in a firmware update? Hell, I even saw an online petition to get it sorted. Anyone know anymore about that?
like i said, don't hold your breath. with any luck iriver will get that fixed before the fall though.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Eurgh.

So iRiver are now releasing a new H300 series? Any idea if they'll be worth waiting for?

From what I've seen so far, they look really ugly.

But the iRiver website for Norther Europe (why no UK iRiver site?) says that the H100 series is getting discontinued.

Will there be a price drop worth waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom