• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inspired by #metoo movement, gallery temporarily removes painting to spark debate

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sure I think thats an acceptable assessment.

Exactly. And the inspiration is what made them do it for a short time to make a point to create dialog. That was a great thing for them to do regardless what your thoughts of censorship is. Dunki it's okay for us as a society to have conversations and dialog about things like this. No reason to be upset about it.

Dunki

Exactly. And the inspiration is what made them do it for a short time to make a point to create dialog. That was a great thing for them to do regardless what your thoughts of censorship is. Dunki it's okay for us as a society to have conversations and dialog about things like this. No reason to be upset about it.
The "intention" was to bring it back in the Fall if even. It was jsut so fast because of the backlash.

Also I am someone who believes that you kill any sort of discussion by removing the thing you want to discuss. Censorship will never go well with any form of discussion because people thankfully fight against Censorship and when they do they do not want to debate at all. I agree with this opinion

Professor Liz Prettejohn, who curated a Waterhouse exhibition at the Royal Academy in London in 2009, told BBC News: "Taking it off display is killing any kind of debate that you might be able to have about it in relation to some of the really interesting issues that it might raise about sexuality and gender relationships.

"The Victorians are always getting criticised because they're supposed to be prudish. But here it would seem it's us who are taking the roles of what we think of as the very moralistic Victorians."

It is also pretty ironic that this did happen with a Victorian Painting

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
p
The "intention" was to bring it back in the Fall if even. It was jsut so fast because of the backlash.

Also I am someone who believes that you kill any sort of discussion by removing the thing you want to discuss. Censorship will never go well with any form of discussion because people thankfully fight against Censorship and when they do they do not want to debate at all. I agree with this opinion

Yet Germany seems to be handling censoring Nazi iconography pretty well. Or am I under the false assumption that Germans don't like this censorship?

Dunki

p

Yet Germany seems to be handling censoring Nazi iconography pretty well. Or am I under the false assumption that Germans don't like this censorship?
Personally I do not like it. As for Swastikas etc. IT is forbidden in Public but if you want you can have it in your own home. Also I think its utterly stupid that videogames can not have these symbols or any realtion to Nazis while ever other mediaform is allowed to. HEll in Wolfenstein you are not even fighting Nazis. If you think that is a good thing. I guess I can not help you.

HOWEVER. These are not hatesymbosl this is a classic painting. Something like this will never get censored at least I hope. I rather want to see the honest person instead of some fake image because they can not say what they actually think. This way you can much better detect nazis etc.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Bwahaha this is essentially what I said was going to happen when I got my tag. It just got me mocked back then. We had people in that thread calling for art that if women find offensive should be banned. We also had people comparing offensive art to slavery in that thread. If you want to see it in it's glory of unhinged lunacy - here you go.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...tern-criticism.1201826/page-34#post-199609794

So much problematic art out there. I mean look at this lecherous pervert abusing this poor maiden.

Fragonard%2C_The_Swing.jpg

Dude looks scared of the pussy

Top Bottom