• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Battlemage second generation dedicated GPUs may be in the labs slightly early

LordOfChaos

HardwareLuxx, who took part in the Tech Tour, found an Intel BMG G10 chip tray at the Failure Analysis Lab. The name clearly confirms that this is the next-generation Battlemage discrete processor, now seemingly confirmed as G10. Unfortunately, the media was not allowed to take any photos, so we must take their word for it.

In the Failure Analysis Lab, we came across a tray that evidently contained chips from the next Arc generation – at least, there were already corresponding chips in the analysis, which were clearly labeled as “BMG G10.”

INTEL-ARC-2023-2024-ALCHEMIST-BATTLEMAGE-ROADMAP.jpg

The first gen didn't light the world on fire, but I think that's fine honestly. As a first run, it was already besting AMD ray tracing and upscaling performance, and I think in some cases compute. With second gen, ??. With third gen, ???

Sethbacca

I'm thinking I'm going to hold out and replace my aging desktop with a mini pc Strix Halo build next year depending on how the benchmarks pan out, but if I did build another full desktop I'd consider Intel just because I refuse to pay Nvidia prices.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

let's hope they keep making gpus... leaving nvidia rampant will do no good to the market

100% agreed.

It seems like AMD's next generation still won't have dedicated acceleration for RT and upscaling, and is still running triple duty on Compute Units. I dunno...It just seems like Nvidia is leaving them in the dust on the high end. Intel's hasn't even taken on the high end yet, but they do remain a cashflow machine even with a lossy quarter or two and should hopefully be able to fund comparable GPU R&D to Nvidia over time, especially as they recover footing and become an open foundry.

Hudo

let's hope they keep making gpus... leaving nvidia rampant will do no good to the market
I also hope they work on an alternative to Nvidia's CUDA (maybe they can work together with AMD on that front). OpenCL is not really a viable alternative at this point anymore. And I would actually love to not be vendor-locked in that regard.

LordOfChaos

I also hope they work on an alternative to Nvidia's CUDA (maybe they can work together with AMD on that front). OpenCL is not really a viable alternative at this point anymore. And I would actually love to not be vendor-locked in that regard.

Again 100% agreed. An H100 is 30,000 frickin dollars. Hopefully Intel can get in there soon and democratize training soon as well.

draliko

100% agreed.

It seems like AMD's next generation still won't have dedicated acceleration for RT and upscaling, and is still running triple duty on Compute Units. I dunno...It just seems like Nvidia is leaving them in the dust on the high end. Intel's hasn't even taken on the high end yet, but they do remain a cashflow machine even with a lossy quarter or two and should hopefully be able to fund comparable GPU R&D to Nvidia over time, especially as they recover footing and become an open foundry.
whit the nvidia focus on real AI (not upsampling) and the money that can be made there we're now a small market not really worth to cater to... next nvidia gen prices will be absurd... at least amd has the apu crowd (console) to keep happy and to cater to. I'm sincerely worried what gaming hardware will be in the next 5 years

Top Bottom