• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interracial characters still taboo in the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobtastic

RevenantKioku said:
Not old enough probably.
I dunno, it just bugs the hell out of me (which in turn goes into play on what I was going for in my main point, stop caring, which makes me hypocritical, but hey whatever, you know?)
I mean, I don't watch television, so I guess it just doesn't bother me what they do on there.

Perhaps you don't watch television, but it'd be foolish to say that the media has no influence on society and its values. So yeah, it does affect us. You might not care, but I care because I'm part of the minority that has to deal with those media-induced stereotypes.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Lisa Ling from “The View” stated in interviews that she was roundly criticized by the Asian community for appearing in an Old Navy commercial with non-Asian male models. This criticism arose even though the commercial had no romantic overtones.
That's sad.

I've dated a Vietnamese girl and two Indian girls who couldn't let their parents know about me, yet dated a Chinese girl for months and her parents were completely cool about it. My parents never raised a stink about the skin colour of anyone I brought home, and they're pretty conservative.

fobtastic

Stele said:
Yeah, passages of random shit.

So, what... you read my post, went on Google and grabbed the first set of stats you could find? Did you bother to read the source material before you used the data?

Stele

Holds a little red book
fobtastic said:
So, what... you read my post, went on Google and grabbed the first set of stats you could find?
In fact, that's exactly I did. Except for the reading your post part. I just lightly skimmed it.

fobtastic

bishoptl said:
That's sad.

I've dated a Vietnamese girl and two Indian girls who couldn't let their parents know about me, yet dated a Chinese girl for months and her parents were completely cool about it. My parents never raised a stink about the skin colour of anyone I brought home, and they're pretty conservative.

Way to jump to conclusions.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fobtastic said:
Perhaps you don't watch television, but it'd be foolish to say that the media has no influence on society and its values. So yeah, it does affect us. You might not care, but I care because I'm part of the minority that has to deal with those media-induced stereotypes.

Don't you have something better to do though?

Gantz

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Is a black man going to say "Well, this white woman is really attracted to me, and I to her, but I've never seen a couple like this in a TV commercial, so how can it work?"

Taboo, rampant? Who gives a flying fuck? Is it really that important to you? Really? Really? I mean come on people, look at what you're saying.

Yes it is. I want more variety on TV. Being Asian and growing up in white suburbia I always wondered why white people are represented more than any people(ethnic & racial) on tv and in movies. I recently moved to NYC where I see lots of different people everyday. So this question bugs me even more. Saying there's no market for it is bullshit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fobtastic said:
Way to jump to conclusions.
Jumping to conclusions how?

You made a reference to Lisa Ling catching flak from the Asian community for appearing in a commercial with non-Asian males, despite the non-romantic context. I provided personal anecdotes on my experiences (as a non-Asian) dating Asian woman as an additional point of reference for the conversation.

The only one who seems to be getting any exercise leaping to conclusions (about what, who knows) is YOU, my internet playmate!

fobtastic

RevenantKioku said:
Don't you have something better to do though?

You mean like posting on GAF about stuff I have no clue about, but posing as if I'm an expert on the topic? Yeah, that's much better than educating myself about social values so my words actually mean something.

fobtastic

bishoptl said:
Jumping to conclusions how?

You made a reference to Lisa Ling catching flak from the Asian community for appearing in a commercial with non-Asian males, despite the non-romantic context. I provided personal anecdotes on my experiences (as a non-Asian) dating Asian woman as an additional point of reference for the conversation.

The only one who seems to be getting any exercise leaping to conclusions (about what, who knows) is YOU, my internet playmate!

Okay, without searching the internet, explain why the Asian community was pissed about the commercial.

shuri

Banned
Slice of life: My friend is dating an asian girl, and her parents where hardcore pissed about the whole thing. Are there a lot of asian parents like that?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fobtastic said:
Okay, without searching the internet, explain why the Asian community was pissed about the commercial.
From the article I read (linked earlier), Ms Ling didn't go into detail as to why she got so much flak from the Asian community. She only stated that she caught hell for being in the ad with non-Asian males, despite there being no romantic undertones. Her words, not mine. If that's the only reason why she was treated in this manner, that's sad indeed.

Of course, if you'd taken the time to comprehend my original post, you would have understood that from my experience, such mule-headed jingoism isn't indicative of an entire community.

Stele

Holds a little red book
fobtastic said:
A good chunk (or maybe even majority) of the Asian community are first- and second- generation people that are more attached to their home nations than really striving to become Asian-American. The assimilated Asian males were pissed I guess because they were being slapped with reality.

Gantz

Banned
Naked Shuriken said:
Slice of life: My friend is dating an asian girl, and her parents where hardcore pissed about the whole thing. Are there a lot of asian parents like that?

Yes most asian parents are racist and only want you to date your kind. My first gf was a bi-sexual blonde girl. They hate her because she was white and supported gay rights.

fobtastic

bishoptl said:
From the article I read (linked earlier), Ms Ling didn't go into detail as to why she got so much flak from the Asian community. She only stated that she caught hell for being in the ad with non-Asian males, despite there being no romantic undertones. Her words, not mine. If that's the only reason why she was treated in this manner, that's sad indeed.

Of course, if you'd taken the time to comprehend my original post, you would have understood that from my experience, such mule-headed jingoism isn't indicative of an entire community.

Right, you only read one side of the story and judged the situation as being sad.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Gantz said:
Yes it is. I want more variety on TV. Being Asian and growing up in white suburbia I always wondered why white people are represented more than any people(ethnic & racial) on tv and in movies. I recently moved to NYC where I see lots of different people everyday. So this question bugs me even more. Saying there's no market for it is bullshit.

Don't recall saying there's no market for it. I just don't understand it. I don't feel better when a white actor is on the screen as opposed to another race, its just unimportant to me. If I see white with black or asian, or just white or just black or just asian, it still doesn't matter. Doesn't phase me, and I don't really think about it. Its entirely impossible I "don't get it" because I'm "whitey" or something.

fobtastic said:
You mean like posting on GAF about stuff I have no clue about, but posing as if I'm an expert on the topic? Yeah, that's much better than educating myself about social values so my words actually mean something.

I'm posing as an expert? I said I don't get it. I just think there has to be more pressing matters in your life than worrying about interracial couple portrayal in the media. I know there are in mine.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fobtastic said:
Right, you only read one side of the story and judged the situation as being sad.
Hey GENIUS, I read the link that YOU provided. If there's more to the story, pony up or shut up.

fobtastic

bishoptl said:
Hey GENIUS, I read the link that YOU provided. If there's more to the story, pony up or shut up.

So now it's my job to provide research for you? The link was originally provided to show another perspective on why interracial couples are taboo in the media. Don't argue about things you have no clue about.

Gantz

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Don't recall saying there's no market for it. I just don't understand it. I don't feel better when a white actor is on the screen as opposed to another race, its just unimportant to me. If I see white with black or asian, or just white or just black or just asian, it still doesn't matter. Doesn't phase me, and I don't really think about it. Its entirely impossible I "don't get it" because I'm "whitey" or something.

I'm posing as an expert? I said I don't get it. I just think there has to be more pressing matters in your life than worrying about interracial couple portrayal in the media. I know there are in mine.

Maybe because you are whitey and will never get it. I'm sure if you grew in a country where all you saw on tv/movies featuring a majority of one race of people other than your own, you would question it too.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Yeah, that would kind of suck. An alien to the culture of your blood and marginalized in the culture of your birth.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Get off the pipe, fob.

You regale us with a story about Lisa Ling getting shit from the Asian community over an Old Navy commercial. You provide a link with some background on said story. I read your link, comment on it, and provide a personal anecdote of my own. You light your ass on fire and run around screaming about people jumping to conclusions. Well guess what, Einstein? You shouldn't have provided the link if you didn't expect people to comment on it. If there was more to the story and you couldn't be bothered to back up your statement with the additional info, that's on you.

And as someone who's been part of more interracial couples than you've had hot dinners, I'll be the judge of who has a clue about what, thank you very much.

This is turning out like that Tommie Hustle thread Pt II link
GAF- where all of life's questions are solved for a week and then brought up again a couple of months later.

Crow357

When I was 8 I remember seeing Captain Kirk kiss Lt. Uhura (closed mouth of course) in a Star Trek episode and I thought, "Cool, go Captain Kirk". I never new this was supposed to be a problem until I got older and the media started teaching me about racial hatred.

fobtastic

RevenantKioku said:

Actually, I wasn't referring to you with that remark. I actually appreciate the fact that you admit that you simply "don't get it."

Of course there are more pressing matters in my life, but it doesn't mean I can't become aware of the world I live in.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Crow357 said:
When I was 8 I remember seeing Captain Kirk kiss Lt. Uhura (closed mouth of course) in a Star Trek episode and I thought, "Cool, go Captain Kirk". I never new this was supposed to be a problem until I got older and the media started teaching me about racial hatred.
Kirk also tapped green alien ass on the regular. I wish we, as humans, would emulate the good Captain's teachings.

RevenantKioku

Gantz said:
Maybe because you are whitey and will never get it. I'm sure if you grew in a country where all you saw on tv/movies featuring a majority of one race of people other than your own, you would question it too.

I very well might have. You obviously have your personal rights to question it, and I believe I can understand where you're coming from. Personally, I just don't care about it, you know? I'm white, so even if I was an actor, I couldn't do much about it, so why worry? If I got into casting, I guess I could make sure the racial scheme would be more balanced, but would that really be right or fair if I was taking more than skill into account? I won't ever work in the TV or advertising field though, so there's not much I can do about it, so I just let it reside out of my hands. I may not be that aware, but I don't see what I could exactly "do" to remedy the problem.
On a side note, I spent the summer in Japan, and all I saw when the TV was flipped on was Japanese people (and Bob Sapp occasionally) but it didn't bother me. Although on the other hand I didn't grow up there.

Zilch

Banned
Crow357 said:

How exactly did the media teach you "racial hatred"? I guess I missed all those shows...

Crow357

Oh, I don't mean any shows, I mean the news and such. I never knew there was racial hatred until I saw it on the news. Then I asked my parents about it and they told me there were people that hated other people because of their skin color. It was probably 2nd or 3rd grade.. I really don't remember exactly.

fobtastic

bishoptl said:
Get off the pipe, fob.

You regale us with a story about Lisa Ling getting shit from the Asian community over an Old Navy commercial. You provide a link with some background on said story. I read your link, comment on it, and provide a personal anecdote of my own. You light your ass on fire and run around screaming about people jumping to conclusions. Well guess what, Einstein? You shouldn't have provided the link if you didn't expect people to comment on it. If there was more to the story and you couldn't be bothered to back up your statement with the additional info, that's on you.

And as someone who's been part of more interracial couples than you've had hot dinners, I'll be the judge of who has a clue about what, thank you very much.

Read the topic of this thread. The link I provided was a response to the topic of this thread. Why is that so hard to comprehend? The reason I linked the article was to point out that there are groups that take offense to current interracial couples in the media, which is why it is taboo (once again, see the title of this thread). The reference to the Lisa Ling incident, which you singled out, was only a small part of the article. Nobody stopped you from doing a little analyzing. Do you always take everything at face value? Regardless, in my original post I said "Anyone remember the Old Navy fiasco with Lisa Ling?" Obviously, you're not one of those people that remember it. Did you honestly think you could be brought up to speed by reading a few lines of text that's biased to one side?

And now you're crying about how I didn't provide enough research for you to make an informed opinion? Stop trying to save face. You really have no clue what you're talking about. I'm done with this.

Docwiz

Banned
No, I don't think it's taboo to show interracial couples in Jesusland or anywhere else at least in North America on TV or otherwise.

I do think the left wing liberals on GAF have to yet try again to embarass themselves because they have nothing else to do since CHRISTmas is over. (Not talking about the person who started this thread).

Dilbert

Docwiz said:
No, I don't think it's taboo to show interracial couples in Jesusland or anywhere else at least in North America on TV or otherwise.

I do think the left wing liberals on GAF have to yet try again to embarass themselves because they have nothing else to do since CHRISTmas is over. (Not talking about the person who started this thread).
Oooh...what did I just see? I think we've discussed this before:

-jinx- said:
One more troll against "liberals," and you're going to be gone for a while.
See you later, alligator!

Dilbert

fobtastic said:
Read the topic of this thread. The link I provided was a response to the topic of this thread. Why is that so hard to comprehend? The reason I linked the article was to point out that there are groups that take offense to current interracial couples in the media, which is why it is taboo (once again, see the title of this thread). The reference to the Lisa Ling incident, which you singled out, was only a small part of the article. Nobody stopped you from doing a little analyzing. Do you always take everything at face value? Regardless, in my original post I said "Anyone remember the Old Navy fiasco with Lisa Ling?" Obviously, you're not one of those people that remember it. Did you honestly think you could be brought up to speed by reading a few lines of text that's biased to one side?

And now you're crying about how I didn't provide enough research for you to make an informed opinion? Stop trying to save face. You really have no clue what you're talking about. I'm done with this.
fob, I have no idea exactly what your problem is, but your attitude SUCKS.

For whatever reason, you seem to be missing what bishoptl already explained to you. You presented a link to something on Geocities; he read it and reacted to one quote with a personal anecdote; end of story. However, you fired back with the complete non sequitur "Way to jump to conclusions." I've read that several times, and I still don't know where the hell that came from.

Also, the original poster asked about WHY portraying interracial couples was apparently taboo, and for all of your bragging about how much better than everyone else you understand primary source material, you still haven't addressed WHY it would be taboo. Quite frankly, I'm not sure that pointing to the single incident with Lisa Ling is enough evidence that there IS a taboo.

I have no idea why you're touchier than a nest of hornets being prodded with a vibrator, but it's wearing on me in a bad way. Before you go off the next time, try to slow down and think, OK?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fobtastic said:
Did you honestly think you could be brought up to speed by reading a few lines of text that's biased to one side?
You provided the biased text in question. Oops!

Ownage is one thing, self-ownage something else entirely. :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, while fob's still figuring out which way is up, I thought I'd take a quick time out and delve into this whole Lisa Ling/Old Navy debacle which has his panties in such a twist. Why did the Asian community's hammer fall on this harmless, somewhat decent-looking chick who was just looking to make a buck with Madison Avenue like any other media celebrity whore? Why, I ask?

poleLarge.jpg

QUICK, TO THE GOOGLEMOBILE

http://www.asianguy.com/articles/oldnavy.htm
Dear Lisa Ling

I'm SUCH a fan of yours! I totally love your new Old Navy commercials. And I'm an asian "sister"...JUST LIKE YOU! You've totally influenced me. I mean, I'm smart, but I've decided to only be "book-smart" from now on. You know...good school, good grades. When it comes to serious issues though, I want to be a stupid idiot...just like you and all these other asian "sisters"!

And I want to prance around with gorgeous guys just like you did in that commercial! God I love America...and I sure love American men! Just like you say, they are "strong" and "good-looking". Unfortunately, there's all these asian guys who bother me all the time. I'd actually like some advice about this. How do you get rid of these asian guys so they don't bother you anymore? I mean, you seem to have done a great job with that. I'm totally learning all these things from asian sisters like you. Like saying things that only an asian person would relate to, or even speaking in an asian language. This is a great trick because it totally attracts all the gorgeous American boys! I think that makes me stand out from the white girls, so these American boys will like me better!

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being such an influence. I can't wait to meet "strong" and "good-looking" American boys, just like you have!

<Sarcasm OFF>

You know I'm not even that bothered by these Old Navy commercials. I mean, Lisa Ling is so ugly that I don't mind at all when she frolics around with 5 guys like the good little sex object that she is. I not only wouldn't touch her with my 10 foot pole, I wouldn't touch her with someone else's 10 foot pole either.

So good luck with your career, you geisha! When things don't work out, and you decide to run back to your "community" for support, I'll make sure to slam the door in your face. Have fun while it lasts.

http://www.ithaca.edu/ithacan/articles/0004/20/accent/ling.html
Ling said she disagreed with the Asian community's harsh response to her appearance in a recent Old Navy commercial. In the commercial, white males surround Ling. She said some think this demeans Asians.

"Why should I have to constantly think of my ethnic background and how I'll be perceived when I just want to do a commercial?" Ling said.

Some students strongly disagreed. Senior Jerome Ng, president of Asia Society, said Ling disappointed him.

"I think that how she came across, she was not fully embracing or acknowledging the problems of the Asian-American community," Ng said. "I'm quite disappointed that SAB brought in Lisa Ling as an Asian-American speaker to talk about Asian-American issues."

Ling said she does not raise Asian issues often because she wants to be known for her talent and not her ethnicity.

http://goldsea.com/Air/Issues/Couple/couple.html
What really raised AA eyebrows was an Old Navy commercial showing Ling cavorting with a group of men and uttering the line "I like my men strong and good-looking". The beef? None of the five men are Asian.
Guess they should have thrown in a token or two, to keep the community placated, yes? Of course, she's supposedly getting down with a Korean guy in real life, so maybe it's not a race thing at all. Funnily enough, I can understand why some people would have an issue with her statement in the ad - but I can also understand why many people wouldn't give a shit either way. If she's into strong, good-looking men....and open enough to find them amongst races other than her own

racetraitor8pi.gif

....are you so weak-minded as to gauge your self-worth from an OLD NAVY AD? Holy shit, that is sad beyond belief.

Hey, how many Jamaicans made the cut?

Gantz

Banned
Trakball said:
What about Pearlman and Daniels on "The Wire". That's some hot interracial action right there!

Very few and far between. It'll be another decade or more before we see interracial couples and families as commonplace on TV and movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom